Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Rooney on Wallace: 'He should be here'

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Dan Rooney had a "sit down" with Hines at Latrobe Airport.
    In which he likely told him, we won't sign you to a new extension until you return to camp.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In which he likely told him, we won't sign you to a new extension until you return to camp.
    They also negotiated by phone prior to that. They broke their alleged policy for him. Over the years what they say their policies are, and what they actually DO, is not always the same thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Hines just happened to have some leverage.

We didn't have others like Brown, Cotchery, Sanders on the roster when Hines was holding out. We'd have probably had big problems without Hines. If Wallace doesn't show up, we can move on without him.
    Exactly. The Steelers are more than willing to wait to sign Wallace to a long term extension because of who they already have. The team knows these players better than anyone on this board and they saw the emergence of Brown last year and the "plateauing" of Wallace's performance. I've said all along that they are going to wait to see how they all perform this season before they commit the big dollars on who they really want long term.

That is why Wallace is screwing himself by not being a participant in learning the new offense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers won’t reduce Wallace’s tender

June 15, 2012

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert confirmed the franchise will not slash unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace's salary from $2.72 million to $577,000 by Friday's deadline.

The Mike Wallace saga has come upon yet another significant date with very much the same action being taken – nothing.

Today is the (only) day the Steelers can slash Wallace’s still-unsigned one-year restricted free agent tender worth $2.72 million to $577,000 for the upcoming season.

The Steelers won’t do that.

"That's never been an intention of ours," Colbert said. "We want him to get a long-term deal that he deserves and I am real confident that we will be able to do that because when both sides want the same thing, it is only a matter of time."

The next important date for the “Wallace Watch” will be July 25 – the first day of training camp. Still, there is no guarantee he will show up at St. Vincent College, either.

Wallace could hold out until after the Nov. 12 game against Kansas City and still become an unrestricted free agent after the season (Vincent Jackson did that two years ago then signed a 5-year, $55 million deal with Tampa this year).

If Wallace decides to hold out the entire year, he would lose an accrued season and still be a restricted free agent again next year, which would not be a road he would take.

If a long-term deal is not reached, the Steelers could still hold onto Wallace for up to three more years. The Steelers could franchise tag Wallace each of the next three seasons, but with that number pushing well past the $10 million mark next year alone, that too is unlikely.

[URL="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/06/15/steelers-wont-reduce-wallaces-tender/"]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...llaces-tender/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Terrific, he used Plaxico's departure to shake down Dan Rooney for more money by refusing to honor his signed contract.

What a leader!
    Much like Ben leads with his off field escapades.

These guys are football players. They're violent. They do inhumane things between the whistles. Yet we expect them to be saints off the field. Probably too much to expect from any football player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Break For Offseason: See You At Camp Mike?

Jun 15th, 2012 by KimmySteelers

The Steelers are about to embark on their summer vacations before returning to Latrobe for the official start to the 2012-13 season. By all accounts OTAs and Minicamp were successful as the team transitions to a younger defense and a brand new offense. Of course it’s difficult if not impossible to truly judge how successful the team will be under these changes considering there were no pads or hitting involved, but most if not all of Steeler Nation is very optimistic about the upcoming season. However it’s not that easy to keep the warm and fuzzies about the situation considering there is some definite unfinished business to attend to. The question on everyone’s mind –besides whether or not Big Ben’s son will be born during the season or not- is how much longer will Mike Wallace go without signing?

Today marks the deadline the Wallace had to sign his $2.7 million tender before the Steelers were entitled to reduce the amount significantly. The organization has already stated they will not be lowering his tender at all and are committed to signing Mike to a long term deal. Unfortunately reports are that there has been little to no movement in negotiations at this point. Earlier this week at the beginning of Minicamp Steelers president Art Rooney II was questioned about Wallace’s absence from the team activities and he replied, “He should be here.”

With opinions being like a certain body part, this situation is no different. Everyone has a different view on what the Steelers should do about Wallace and what Wallace should do from here on out. Fans never like a hold out. The issue of money and contracts will forever be a source of disconnect between athletes and fans, there’s just no way around it. Most people say Wallace is being greedy and is just after the Megatron and Fitzgerald money he was rumored to be asking for during the free agency period. The Steelers have a certain reputation for rewarding player with the big contracts on their time, not the players’ expectations. So far that has worked for them, only rarely has a player successfully held out for more money or a longer contract and the last one to do that was Hines Ward in 2005.

The most common viewpoint on how this situation is going is that Wallace is trying to hold out for some giant payday and doesn’t really care about the Steelers or the fans or loyalty and he hates puppies. Well I’m not really sure about his feelings towards puppies but in reality we don’t really know his true position on the contract situation ether. It dawned on me, especially seeing as how he was unsuccessful at grabbing a big contract when he was testing the free agency waters that he might just be after a long term deal with the Steelers after all. No team was willing to give up a big contract plus a first round draft pick for Wallace as a RFA and if he doesn’t have a good season this year with the Steelers it’s unlikely another team will cough up a bunch of money for him next year.

Clearly the money is part of the issue as well or else a deal would have been done by now. But let’s not jump to conclusions that Wallace isn’t on board with the Steeler way of doing things and is only seeing dollar signs. I tend to think that neither he nor his agent are morons and have some misconception that they could be the first athlete/agent combo to strong arm the Steelers into giving up a bigger contract than they want to. I think they realize that there is a ceiling the Steelers won’t go over in the money category so it would be futile to blow the season in an attempt to make Wallace a top paid wide receiver. I would think that both sides can recognize that although Wallace had a less than stellar second half of last season he clearly outperformed his contract. It really only hurts Wallace if he’s going to hold out till November to sign so I seriously doubt that’s going to happen either. The Steelers can manage the season and be successful without Wallace in the lineup. Remember what Ike said “You need football more than football needs you.”

Honestly, I was expecting to get word on the 14th that Wallace had signed the tender and was going to show up for the last day of Minicamp at least. Unfortunately that was not the case. However, I’m somehow feeling more optimistic about the situation now than before. I realize that he just missed out on OTAs and Minicamp as well as the crazy hat contest, but he’s got the playbook, there’s no reason to think he’s not keeping himself in excellent condition, and there’s plenty of time from now until training camp opens. Since this has gone on longer than anyone had expected it’s making me lean towards the idea that Wallace is more after locking down a long term deal with the Steelers rather than just trying to hold their feet to the flame for big bucks. If I was a betting girl, I’d put money on Wallace being there with his pillows and gaming system ready to check into the dorms at St. Vincent College in July. I think the deal gets done sooner rather than later. But that could just be all the optimism I have about the younger defense and brand new offense spilling over.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/15/steelers-break-for-offseason-see-you-at-camp-mike/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers won’t reduce Wallace’s tender

June 15, 2012

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert confirmed the franchise will not slash unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace's salary from $2.72 million to $577,000 by Friday's deadline.

The Mike Wallace saga has come upon yet another significant date with very much the same action being taken – nothing.

Today is the (only) day the Steelers can slash Wallace’s still-unsigned one-year restricted free agent tender worth $2.72 million to $577,000 for the upcoming season.

The Steelers won’t do that.

"That's never been an intention of ours," Colbert said. "We want him to get a long-term deal that he deserves and I am real confident that we will be able to do that because when both sides want the same thing, it is only a matter of time."

The next important date for the “Wallace Watch” will be July 25 – the first day of training camp. Still, there is no guarantee he will show up at St. Vincent College, either.

Wallace could hold out until after the Nov. 12 game against Kansas City and still become an unrestricted free agent after the season (Vincent Jackson did that two years ago then signed a 5-year, $55 million deal with Tampa this year).

If Wallace decides to hold out the entire year, he would lose an accrued season and still be a restricted free agent again next year, which would not be a road he would take.

If a long-term deal is not reached, the Steelers could still hold onto Wallace for up to three more years. The Steelers could franchise tag Wallace each of the next three seasons, but with that number pushing well past the $10 million mark next year alone, that too is unlikely.

[URL="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/06/15/steelers-wont-reduce-wallaces-tender/"]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...llaces-tender/[/URL]

absolute BS. cut that tender down.
    so wallace can sit out the first 10 weeks and then come back so he gets his eligibilty to become an UFA next year(and leave) and will still get his portion of the 2.7 million this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so wallace can sit out the first 10 weeks and then come back so he gets his eligibilty to become an UFA next year(and leave) and will still get his portion of the 2.7 million this year?

yes, he would still be able to collect a little over a million dollars this season that way...

however, the Steelers are bargaining in good faith and believe a long-term deal will eventually get done. i'm not so sure, to me there's a higher likelihood that Wallace ends up signing the tender and becomes an UFA next season.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    On one hand, you could reduce the tender, angering him and making him bitter toward management, which could result in him sitting out until week 10 and leaving as a free agent next season.

On the other hand, you could not reduce the tender, which he could view as a measure of good faith, resulting in continued negotiations, and perhaps a long term deal worked out before training camp.

I wonder which of these two scenarios do I think Colbert and Khan would prefer?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    On one hand, you could reduce the tender, angering him and making him bitter toward management, which could result in him sitting out until week 10 and leaving as a free agent next season.

On the other hand, you could not reduce the tender, which he could view as a measure of good faith, resulting in continued negotiations, and perhaps a long term deal worked out before training camp.

I wonder which of these two scenarios do I think Colbert and Khan would prefer?
    sure, or wallace could have signed the tender and showed up to workouts(thus showing the organization good faith towards a long term deal) even if it was just to stand there and learn the new system.