Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depleted Steelers head to Oakland

Legend

User Info Menu

Depleted Steelers head to Oakland

Depleted Steelers head to Oakland searching for second straight win

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/21/depleted-steelers-head-to-oakland-searching-for-second-straight-win/[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Raiders' Michael Huff says he's ready to play cornerback, if needed

By Jerry McDonald
    San Jose Mercury News

ALAMEDA -- Michael Huff emerged from seclusion long enough Friday to confirm what everyone already knew -- the veteran safety may be playing a lot of cornerback against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"If I'm out there at corner I'll be ready, and if I'm out there at safety I'll be ready," Huff said.

The Raiders officially ruled out Shawntae Spencer from Sunday's game, meaning they've lost both of their starting cornerbacks in two weeks. Ron Bartell broke his shoulder blade in the opener against San Diego.

One of the challenges this week for the defensive staff has been putting the secondary together like a jigsaw puzzle and hoping the pieces fit. Huff, who made himself scarce during open locker room sessions until Friday, claimed he didn't know the game plan.

Coach Dennis Allen knows it but wasn't getting into specifics.

"We have a pretty good plan for what we're going to do and how we're going to attack that position so we'll be ready on Sunday," Allen said.

Logic and depth suggest Huff will be matched up with wide receivers a good deal of the time, given that Pat Lee and Joselio Hanson are the only other options at cornerback -- and each struggled last week in a 35-13 loss at Miami. The other cornerbacks on the roster, Coye Francies and Phillip Adams, played only on special teams Sunday even after Spencer's departure.

Matt Giordano, an extra defensive back in some packages, has had success playing free safety in Huff's absence before.

The question is whether Huff will play outside as a true corner or in the slot, a position he's more familiar with as a nickel back. In Hanson's seven years with the Philadelphia Eagles, his best work has also come as a slot defender, rather than on the outside.

Huff said he has no problem playing on the island.

"For me, outside is easier than inside, because inside, you're working on slot, quick receivers," he said. "Outside is pretty much just press and run, more deep routes."

Huff was told by the previous regime that he might be moving to cornerback this season. Allen said there was no thought given to that by his staff, but when asked why Huff could play corner, said, "speed and athleticism. ... You've got to be able to run and play out there on the edge, and he can certainly do that."

Pittsburgh has two swift receivers in Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, and a quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger whose strength is breaking out of the pocket and delivering passes off of broken plays.

Of Wallace, Huff said, "Fastest kid in the world. You see him on film and you see corners playing off . . . he is probably track Olympic fast."

•Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was listed as questionable and will continue to work through the NFL concussion protocol. Allen likened his situation to that of long snapper Jon Condo a week ago. Condo ended up playing against Miami. Francies, like McClain, was limited at practice and listed as questionable with a concussion.

Right tackle Khalif Barnes (groin) was listed as out along with Spencer (foot). Willie Smith is the likely starter, Allen said, although rookie Tony Bergstrom has taken reps at that tackle position of late, and Joe Barksdale is also available.

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski (groin) is listed as questionable but Allen expects him to play.

Running back Mike Goodson tweaked a hamstring Thursday and is listed as questionable. He will be a game-time decision.

•Two big names on the Steelers defense were listed as out -- linebacker James Harrison (knee) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf). Also out is running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

[URL]http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders...lay-cornerback[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

They lead the all time series 10-9. That changes this week.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Hopefully our boys come to play tomorrow and nobody else gets hurt. A perfect Sunday would be to win tomorrow, then watch the Ravens lose to the Patriots!! Here we Go Steelers, Here we go!!!!!
    Don't Forget to bring a Towel

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrible Towlie View Post
    Hopefully our boys come to play tomorrow and nobody else gets hurt. A perfect Sunday would be to win tomorrow, then watch the Ravens lose to the Patriots!! Here we Go Steelers, Here we go!!!!!
    Welcome to the Planet

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Welcome TT. Nice first post.

Stick around here for a while.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Thanks! No other fan base in the NFL has the passion of our beloved Steeler Nation. I'm glad I stumbled across this website. Everybody involved maintaining it obviously is a passionate Steelers fan. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks! No other fan base in the NFL has the passion of our beloved Steeler Nation. I'm glad I stumbled across this website. Everybody involved maintaining it obviously is a passionate Steelers fan. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!

love your avatar!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree, but this game has all the elements of a classic "trap game." We are hurt and they are hurt and we are obviously better but we have to execute near flawlessly or this could go very bad.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    love your avatar!
    Thank You!!