Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This free agency period could be crazy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This free agency period could be crazy

There are going to be a lot of veterans cut and a lot of deals being cut. There are quite a few teams with cap space.

There will be more than a few veterans on the outside looking in. Hopefully the Steelers can find a way to bring in one or two veteran (not too old) free agents at a bargain that can help out.

My favorite right now is Larry Grant with the 49'ers. He started for Patrick Willis in the 49'er 3-4 and excelled at coverage and stopping the run.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Bring him in for a visit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    There are going to be a lot of veterans cut and a lot of deals being cut. There are quite a few teams with cap space.

There will be more than a few veterans on the outside looking in. Hopefully the Steelers can find a way to bring in one or two veteran (not too old) free agents at a bargain that can help out.

My favorite right now is Larry Grant with the 49'ers. He started for Patrick Willis in the 49'er 3-4 and excelled at coverage and stopping the run.
    My favorite free agent right now is Keenan Lewis and James Harrison. I hope the Steelers can find a way to sign both to contracts to eliminate CB and OLB as potential first round draft options and maybe find that physical receiver that will fight for the ball or a TE that isn't an extra tackle that can be paired with Heath Miller.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My favorite free agent right now is Keenan Lewis and James Harrison. I hope the Steelers can find a way to sign both to contracts to eliminate CB and OLB as potential first round draft options and maybe find that physical receiver that will fight for the ball or a TE that isn't an extra tackle that can be paired with Heath Miller.

Pappy
    They will let Lewis shop and then see if they can get a deal done. James Harrison is going to be cut, maybe they can sign him back at a vet minimum but it is doubtful.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

probably not a surprise, but I hope they find a way to sign Ramon Foster to a reasonable contract. His versatility at both OG spots and RT, combined with his durability are huge assets for this OL. I know he is much malingned here, but he has done a pretty damn good job everytime he has been called on. Plus, he justs plays with a nasty streak.

if the new OL coach believes he can fit his system, I think he is worth right around what Urbik got. It will be interesting to see what his value is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There is no money for FA's, the Steelers will try and sign their own players and then look at the draft for the rest.
    This is one year where a rookie could start especially at RB and it depends on if we keep foote. A rookie could compete with sylvester and spence for a spot, Spence is like a second year rookie and Slyvester isn't the answer only a backup.

Another position a rookie could start is TE since we don't know if Heath will be ready for the regular season. If he isn't then a TE has a chance to compete with Paulson. Overall I don't see them pursuing any FA's, where is the money coming from? Any good FA's won't come cheap so they might as well sign their own like Lewis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    They will let Lewis shop and then see if they can get a deal done. James Harrison is going to be cut, maybe they can sign him back at a vet minimum but it is doubtful.
    If they cut James and try and resign for vet minimum, I kind of hope he tests the market. That would be a slap in the face. Maybe they have to do it that way, but it's still a slap at a guy who has been a monster for this team and showed last year that, when healthy, he can still bring it. BTW- there's no reason to think he's not healthy now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers had to pick between keeping Troy or James, who should they keep? Our defense played really well without Troy where the secondary played more of a straight coverage instead of having to adjust while Troy played a 5th LB spot. The pass rush struggled without James. I think I would choose to keep Harrison.
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    If they cut James and try and resign for vet minimum, I kind of hope he tests the market. That would be a slap in the face. Maybe they have to do it that way, but it's still a slap at a guy who has been a monster for this team and showed last year that, when healthy, he can still bring it. BTW- there's no reason to think he's not healthy now.
    I loved James in his prime, but last year he looked to me to always be a step slow, especially in coverage. I dont get where people say he was really coming on at the end cause he was finally getting healthy. I didn't see much difference. He made some plays but nothing extraordinary and he still usually was trailing whoever he was suppose to cover. I think it is time to let go of the past and move on.

Troy can still be that 'X' factor that the other team has to worry about for another year or two, IMHO.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    I loved James in his prime, but last year he looked to me to always be a step slow, especially in coverage. I dont get where people say he was really coming on at the end cause he was finally getting healthy.

Mostly because he had five sacks in the last 7 games of the year...