Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bell vs Dwyer

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe Dwyer has found his niche as a short yardage back that can charge up the O every once in awhile.
    I like the current situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would agree Pete. It's actually a nice set up. I think it will be really nice when we get our OL healthy.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agreed Dwyer had his chance. It's Bell's job to lose at this point.
    Do you really think Bell is going out there and "winning" the job????? I think Dwyer may be doing better behind our crap Off Line.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Do you really think Bell is going out there and "winning" the job????? I think Dwyer may be doing better behind our crap Off Line.
    I think Dwyer was given the starter role and blew it. We know what happens to him when you shine the spotlight on him and he needs to carry the load. He doesn't thrive. He is best coming in to spell another back. I think Bell has done what the Steelers have asked for him to do...run A and B gap behind a crap OL. He has averaged close to 10 yards a catch as well. He gets into the endzone. He has been productive. The only knock I have seen is people measuring ypc as the sole source of their opinion on his running. I think Bell is clearly the best starting back on this team, and will continue to grow as he gets his carries. So yes, I think he has won the job, and the coaches seem to agree.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Dwyer was given the starter role and blew it. We know what happens to him when you shine the spotlight on him and he needs to carry the load. He doesn't thrive. He is best coming in to spell another back. I think Bell has done what the Steelers have asked for him to do...run A and B gap behind a crap OL. He has averaged close to 10 yards a catch as well. He gets into the endzone. He has been productive. The only knock I have seen is people measuring ypc as the sole source of their opinion on his running. I think Bell is clearly the best starting back on this team, and will continue to grow as he gets his carries. So yes, I think he has won the job, and the coaches seem to agree.
    I think Bell is the most talented back on the team but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he is the best perfoming right now. I'm not saying he is a mistake because I think he will be good but people are oozing all over him and IMO he hasn't proven it yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Bell is the most talented back on the team but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he is the best perfoming right now. I'm not saying he is a mistake because I think he will be good but people are oozing all over him and IMO he hasn't proven it yet.
    I think most backs in this league would have a hard time "proving it" behind this OL.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think most backs in this league would have a hard time "proving it" behind this OL.
    Can't disagree with that. But if you believe this then I think you would agree that we can say the same thing about most Offensive Coordinators couldn't "prove it" behind this OL too????

Legend

User Info Menu

Can't disagree with that. But if you believe this then I think you would agree that we can say the same thing about most Offensive Coordinators couldn't "prove it" behind this OL too????
    I do think that.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

There are lots of things you can do to compensate for a bad Oline. Good RBs can perform well with bad blocking. Willie Parker comes to mind as someone who was effective despite being hit behind the LOS more times than any RB I can ever remember seeing.

If Haley went with more 3 WR sets, we'd take some pressure off the LOS and help the run game. If we had an effective TE, that would help take guys out of the box and help the run. If we threw more quick slants, we'd slow down the pass rush. If we moved the pocket, we'd give our QB more time.

But the only thing Haley seems to have in his arsenal, is multiple TE sets with ineffective TEs, draws, and WR screens. The bad formations and predictability makes things even worse. Heck, we've even seen some success in the RZ recently when we spread things out rather than condensing everything and forcing the run.

Also we have to consider, it's gotta be tiring blocking for a QB that will hold the ball forever to make a play. I'm starting to think it's just a numbers game and that's why we're always getting hurt because our Oline is engaged in blocking longer than any other linemen in the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There are lots of things you can do to compensate for a bad Oline. Good RBs can perform well with bad blocking. Willie Parker comes to mind as someone who was effective despite being hit behind the LOS more times than any RB I can ever remember seeing.

If Haley went with more 3 WR sets, we'd take some pressure off the LOS and help the run game. If we had an effective TE, that would help take guys out of the box and help the run. If we threw more quick slants, we'd slow down the pass rush. If we moved the pocket, we'd give our QB more time.

But the only thing Haley seems to have in his arsenal, is multiple TE sets with ineffective TEs, draws, and WR screens. The bad formations and predictability makes things even worse. Heck, we've even seen some success in the RZ recently when we spread things out rather than condensing everything and forcing the run.

Also we have to consider, it's gotta be tiring blocking for a QB that will hold the ball forever to make a play. I'm starting to think it's just a numbers game and that's why we're always getting hurt because our Oline is engaged in blocking longer than any other linemen in the league.

Don't you think the multiple TE sets might be a result of them needing to help a terrible OL to give Ben anytime at all?