Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd love to hear the pro Adams argument. I just can't see it. I can see the case for guys like JJ, Williams, Gilbert, etc. learning their positions. But with Adams he's getting beat mentally and physically.
    The only defense I have for Adams is who he was playing against (Allen has made much better LT's look bad)...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The only defense I have for Adams is who he was playing against (Allen has made much better LT's look bad)...
    Adams is clearly overwhelmed from the neck up. Not to say he will fix that or he won't but he is at a position that you can't learn on the job. The other danger is if his confidence lands in quick sand...He may never get back. If I was his coach he would be back at 2nd team and watch from the sideline. I would explain to him what he needs to hear....Which would be the truth. The Steelers misjudged how fast he would come along. When he gets the nuts tightened...He will get his shot again. Keep him in there and they will fall off on the field & they may never find them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If rushing the QB was simply a 1 man job, JJ could stand some critisism for not having sacked the QB yet.

However, if you all go back & watch the tape on him so far you'll see numerous occasions where he's closing on the QB, only to see the QB step forward into the non-existant pass rush from the DL.

If there was some kind of pressure in the middle (you know, where McLendon is a pass rushing beast..), then both Jones & Woodley would have added a few more sacks to the stats already.

Pass rushing is a team effort, however it seems it's become a 2 man job only in Pittsburgh.

As for Eddie's concerns about Timmons, again, go watch the tape. He's facing blocks from OG's who are running down field because both Hood & McLendon are about as useful as a birth control pill in the Octomom's house.

This lack of impact from the LB's is what happens when 3-4 DL can't occupy the blockers.
    Agree 100% Chadman. We have heard the boring stories for ages. "The job of the DL is to occupy blockers". Made it sound like a pylon could do it, how difficult can it be? "Hampton is overrated, we win more with Hoke in there".

Look at Cutler's big 13 yard run just after we had gained momentum. Both outside backers were closing in, Cutler steps up and there is a huge opening. He could have run any number of ways his options were that wide open. Aside from the two pass rushers there was absolutely zero traffic around the pocket. There have been many examples of that so far, this one came to mind right away as it was the play where he decided to go head long into Golden at the end of the play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I'm happy with jarvis to this point.

he has been a beast on STs which is an early marker of great LBs in pittsburgh.

more concerning to me is the ILB cashing checks for 10 million per who has been remarkably average to this point.
    I agree with both.

Most of the Steelers great OLBers initially made their mark on special teams, which Jones is doing. Jones needs to add more strength, but I think he has been fine so far and will continue to get better.

As for Timmons, I think you are giving him a compliment by describing him as average. He hasn't made an impact rushing the passer, in coverage or in the run game. But hey, for a former first round pick with a $10 million salary, what do you expect?

Chadman's point is well taken - Timmons is often being mauled by OGs who are free, since McClendon is easily blocked with one guy. But, shouldn't we expect Timmons to shed a block, just once? On almost every rushing TD this year, it seems like Timmons is getting blown backwards by a blocker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Jared Allen is a good pass rusher, but no longer so much better than everyone else that you can have that as an excuse. As a LT you face Allen caliber rushers regularly, you must have an answer for them.

Right now Dwyer should be the starting back so that he can stay in on 80-90% of pass plays to help with whoever gets past this sieve like OL. The other 10-20% he should leak out and get a quick screen to help slow down the rush.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If rushing the QB was simply a 1 man job, JJ could stand some critisism for not having sacked the QB yet.

However, if you all go back & watch the tape on him so far you'll see numerous occasions where he's closing on the QB, only to see the QB step forward into the non-existant pass rush from the DL.

If there was some kind of pressure in the middle (you know, where McLendon is a pass rushing beast..), then both Jones & Woodley would have added a few more sacks to the stats already.

Pass rushing is a team effort, however it seems it's become a 2 man job only in Pittsburgh.

As for Eddie's concerns about Timmons, again, go watch the tape. He's facing blocks from OG's who are running down field because both Hood & McLendon are about as useful as a birth control pill in the Octomom's house.

This lack of impact from the LB's is what happens when 3-4 DL can't occupy the blockers.
    Heyward needs more playing time against passing sets imho. I believe he has pushed the pocket pretty well this year. He is batting down passes and being disruptive.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I get what some are saying. But it really smacks of; blame the failings of one individual on others around him...

Can't have it both ways. Jones is not beating his man one-on-one. Same with Adams. Why not treat them alike?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree with both.

Most of the Steelers great OLBers initially made their mark on special teams, which Jones is doing. Jones needs to add more strength, but I think he has been fine so far and will continue to get better.

As for Timmons, I think you are giving him a compliment by describing him as average. He hasn't made an impact rushing the passer, in coverage or in the run game. But hey, for a former first round pick with a $10 million salary, what do you expect?

Chadman's point is well taken - Timmons is often being mauled by OGs who are free, since McClendon is easily blocked with one guy. But, shouldn't we expect Timmons to shed a block, just once? On almost every rushing TD this year, it seems like Timmons is getting blown backwards by a blocker.
    Philly--I'm sure you did detailed case preparation for this trial and already knew that Timmons is second on the team with 28 tackles (21 solo and 7 assited/Clark has one more at 29) and he has 3 passes defensed which is second to the Ike Taylor's team leading 4. So essentially you can tell he is being asked to drop into coverage alot and he is being successful doing that. Kind of tough to be dominant at the LOS if you are being asked to drop into coverage.

However, this really isn't about what is really going on but about the 7 year "grudge" against Timmons. But why let facts get in the way of what fans "look and feel"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Philly--I'm sure you did detailed case preparation for this trial and already knew that Timmons is second on the team with 28 tackles (21 solo and 7 assited/Clark has one more at 29) and he has 3 passes defensed which is second to the Ike Taylor's team leading 4. So essentially you can tell he is being asked to drop into coverage alot and he is being successful doing that. Kind of tough to be dominant at the LOS if you are being asked to drop into coverage.

However, this really isn't about what is really going on but about the 7 year "grudge" against Timmons. But why let facts get in the way of what fans "look and feel"
    Ovi, Timmons is a MLB. He can't help but occassionally run into a tackle. Foote had plenty of tackles last year, yet you and others dumped on him.

It's not a seven year grudge. Timmons has a huge contract. For the salary he is making, he should be in the all pro conversation annually. Remind me, how many pro bowls has he even made?

Tell me, how many times has he come up on a big stick on the goalline? Conversely, how many times has he been seen going backwards when a rushing TD is scored? How many times has he failed to get off a block while a RB gashes the middle?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ovi, Timmons is a MLB. He can't help but occassionally run into a tackle. Foote had plenty of tackles last year, yet you and others dumped on him.

It's not a seven year grudge. Timmons has a huge contract. For the salary he is making, he should be in the all pro conversation annually. Remind me, how many pro bowls has he even made?

Tell me, how many times has he come up on a big stick on the goalline? Conversely, how many times has he been seen going backwards when a rushing TD is scored? How many times has he failed to get off a block while a RB gashes the middle?

A MLB who is being asked to drop into coverage to help the secondary because he has a unique skillset that allows him to run with an defend pass catchers.

I'm curious what percentage of tackles does Patrick Willis just happen to "stumble into" becasue he is a MLB? Posluzny? Sean Lee? Pretty much all the MLBs that everyone fawns over not named Timmons. Let's be honest, even after leading the team in tackles, sacks and INTs last year Timmons will never do enough for some fans to acknowledge he is a very good player and has been for us for awahile. There is a small group of fans who just never liked the pick and so they repost each other crticisms ad nauseum no matter what the facts prove to be true.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"