Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown was benched Sunday, but will start this week

Legend

User Info Menu

lack of effort? even after he got paid??

hmm, where are the ones that bashed wallace for the same thing which was before he even got paid

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One good thing Tomlin did. Running wrong routes should put you on bench.

Ben was going to blast AB84 but Tomlin said "Let it go". Well Tomlin finally did put AB84 on bench. Maybe next game he might play like a #1 WR.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    One good thing Tomlin did. Running wrong routes should put you on bench.

Ben was going to blast AB84 but Tomlin said "Let it go". Well Tomlin finally did put AB84 on bench. Maybe next game he might play like a #1 WR.
    down by 3 tds without the ball with 3 minutes to go in the game and tomlin shows what a tough guy he is and benches AB. only to eat his words and let him start the next week...................i am embarrassed for him.
    he should just stfu and stand there looking stupid instead of looking stupid and sounding stupid

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    lack of effort? even after he got paid??

hmm, where are the ones that bashed wallace for the same thing which was before he even got paid
    I don't think that the two situations are similar at all. Wallace dogged it the entire year last season after coming in late. The lack of effort was visible every game, and it was only on the rare occasion that you saw any effort, and that would usually only occur when he had a chance to run free - like with his catch in Tenn. Wallace came out and told everybody that he routinely checks out in games where he is not being fed the ball.

AB leads the league in receptions this year and is 12th in YPG. He has played good football. If he isn't earning his paycheck this year, he is at least in the same neighborhood. He ran the wrong route with three and a half minutes to go in a 17 point game. This is not a good thing, but can't be compared to playing with nothing for an entire season, if not longer as many were suggesting prior to last year.

But when it comes to a Wallace/Brown comparison since they both got paid, take a look at this...

Player Rec yards Avg YPG long TD

Brown 61 701 11.5 87.6 45 3
    Wallace 36 480 13.3 60.0 49 1

Pretty one sided, we might be better of comparing Wallace to our number 2, who most people wanted in New England in return for a third rounder...

Sanders 37 494 13.4 61.8 55T 2

Wallace's numbers are strikingly similar to a guy who is an afterthought here. Wallace has already complained about not getting the ball enough this year. A headache that we just don't need.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I don't think that the two situations are similar at all. Wallace dogged it the entire year last season after coming in late. The lack of effort was visible every game, and it was only on the rare occasion that you saw any effort, and that would usually only occur when he had a chance to run free - like with his catch in Tenn. Wallace came out and told everybody that he routinely checks out in games where he is not being fed the ball.

AB leads the league in receptions this year and is 12th in YPG. He has played good football. If he isn't earning his paycheck this year, he is at least in the same neighborhood. He ran the wrong route with three and a half minutes to go in a 17 point game. This is not a good thing, but can't be compared to playing with nothing for an entire season, if not longer as many were suggesting prior to last year.

But when it comes to a Wallace/Brown comparison since they both got paid, take a look at this...

Player Rec yards Avg YPG long TD

Brown 61 701 11.5 87.6 45 3
    Wallace 36 480 13.3 60.0 49 1

Pretty one sided, we might be better of comparing Wallace to our number 2, who most people wanted in New England in return for a third rounder...

Sanders 37 494 13.4 61.8 55T 2

Wallace's numbers are strikingly similar to a guy who is an afterthought here. Wallace has already complained about not getting the ball enough this year. A headache that we just don't need.
    Wow. I never thought Manny would have better numbers than Wally. That part's crazy when you think about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

remember how many people wanted us to 'pay the man'

there were a few sensible fans that knew better.........

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    remember how many people wanted us to 'pay the man'

there were a few sensible fans that knew better.........
    Prior to last season, I had no problem paying him, just nowhere near what he wanted. I wanted to account for the fall off in the last half of the previous season. If the numbers mentioned were any indication, that was higher than I would have gone.

I didn't have much of a problem with him coming to camp late last year, but the way he acted by putting in zero effort once he arrived was the last straw for me. He went through the motions to get to the off-season. I don't know how any team would have given him as much as the Dolphins did (and supposedly Minny offered more IIRC) after the year and a half that preceded. They definitely got what they deserved.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brown doesn't appear lazy to me this year... did he have a lazy moment in a game that was out of reach down the stretch?

I was on a plane and missed the collapse in the 4th so I have no idea.

Legend

User Info Menu

Prior to last season, I had no problem paying him, just nowhere near what he wanted. I wanted to account for the fall off in the last half of the previous season. If the numbers mentioned were any indication, that was higher than I would have gone.

I didn't have much of a problem with him coming to camp late last year, but the way he acted by putting in zero effort once he arrived was the last straw for me. He went through the motions to get to the off-season. I don't know how any team would have given him as much as the Dolphins did (and supposedly Minny offered more IIRC) after the year and a half that preceded. They definitely got what they deserved.
    there was a small group on here who wanted to pay Wallace big money... a very small group. lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think if people were objective it was easy to predict a Wallace "fall off" but not this soon. His one premier attribute, his speed, is usually the first thing to go with age and the wear and tear of the NFL. It is also probably the easiest thing to game plan against by having under and over the top coverage. It was clear to see that teams had Wallace figured out even before last season.

Like many of us said, Wallace wasn't worth the money because he had too many holes in his skillset as a WR. The Front Office and Coaches probably clearly saw this everyday in practice which is why they made the decision they made.

Hopefully Wallace doesn't screw up too bad and cost us our third round Comp Pick in the draft. Isn't that based on a combination of where the player was originally drafted and performance?
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-06-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"