Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 9th Pick in Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You must have an ax to grind because you are refusing to acknowledge what he does in the passing game. You are looking at a rookie running back running behind a hodgepodge OL and using that to call him well below average.

ok, you win. he's a great rb. probably HOF. would have easily set the single season record for rushing yds if he had a good oline.
    Feel better?

Legend

User Info Menu

i know the board consensus is we need a LT, but i don't think thats gonna improve the team the most. id say a big WR, TE, NT, ROLB, and CB are more important. i can live with beachum. we can get by at a lot of these positions. we just have to take bpa every round and not reach for specific position. thats how we get in trouble.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    i know the board consensus is we need a LT, but i don't think thats gonna improve the team the most. id say a big WR, TE, NT, ROLB, and CB are more important. i can live with beachum. we can get by at a lot of these positions. we just have to take bpa every round and not reach for specific position. thats how we get in trouble.
    That's how a lot of teams get into trouble flip. just look at the skins with RGIII... mortgaged away their future for the ultimate reach... and now they are 3-10 in his second season.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I have always subscribed to this theory...NFL franchises should play the proverbial long game...if you do so, more often than not, you put yourself in position to be competitive over the long term...not a short term gain/long term loss position...

When need and BPA dovetail (ie. DeCastro), it works out perfectly...

When you spend a 4th on a long term BPA (ie. Landry Jones), you are playing the long game...but, people will complain as if a 4th round player would have saved this season....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    ok, you win. he's a great rb. probably HOF. would have easily set the single season record for rushing yds if he had a good oline.
    Feel better?
    Just a run of the mill honest evaluation would be nice.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nobody said landry jones was going to save the season.

it was a dumb pick considering all of the holes on this roster. Gradkowski was on a 3 year deal and a competent backup. Absolutely no need to waste a 4th on his backup. There were plenty of more pressing needs as we have seen this year.

and calling him BPA in the 4th is pretty stupid. Most sites had him rated at least a round lower.

Legend

User Info Menu

The 3 positions that could improve this team day 1, are LT, NT, and DB...possibly FS depending on Golden's development.

The problem? I'm not sold on Nix-NT, and the guy from TN is not an immediate solution, not sure he is better than what we already have. So, unless the Steelers see something I don't...NT in the first is out. Ha Ha from Bama is interesting...certainly on the radar. Dennard from MSU might just be the best DB in this draft. He is really impressive. I think he is a day 1 starter.

But, IMO your best bang for the buck is LT because you improve 3 positions. Instantly a franchise LT gives our talented RB room to run which will only help Ben. Not, to mention giving Ben time to be Ben.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    nobody said landry jones was going to save the season.

it was a dumb pick considering all of the holes on this roster. Gradkowski was on a 3 year deal and a competent backup. Absolutely no need to waste a 4th on his backup. There were plenty of more pressing needs as we have seen this year.

and calling him BPA in the 4th is pretty stupid. Most sites had him rated at least a round lower.
    I honestly believe the Steelers scouts seen a future starter in Jones. I don't believe they are grooming Ben's back up.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

shawn- if you are talking about mcullers from TN, the steelers should stay away from him. I have heard he tried to quit the team with a month to go in the season. He is just a big body, nothing more.

I have seen a couple of beat writers say the exact opposite. If landry jones is the steelers starter we are back to mediocrity or worse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I have always subscribed to this theory...NFL franchises should play the proverbial long game...if you do so, more often than not, you put yourself in position to be competitive over the long term...not a short term gain/long term loss position...

When need and BPA dovetail (ie. DeCastro), it works out perfectly...

When you spend a 4th on a long term BPA (ie. Landry Jones), you are playing the long game...but, people will complain as if a 4th round player would have saved this season....
    Exactly. They want to give Jones 3 seasons to develop. They took a shot on a kid with a big accurate arm who was very productive in college. Just about all QBs are a crap shoot, Jones is no different. But, he has all the physical tools to be great. I guess we will see if the gamble pays off. It could look like a genius pick in a few years.
    Trolls are people too.