Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pats also stockpile draft picks... I understand its cyclical and teams like the Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks are surging but I heard the Seahawks found a few cast offs who have chips on their shoulders due to being snubbed by other teams.

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/sports/football/seahawks-towering-secondary-is-batting-away-conventional-wisdom.html?_r=0[/URL]

DB has 2 fifth rounders at are 6"-2" and an undrafted guy from the CFL

We had Lewis and didn't give him an offer. I like Shark but I think we need some players who have something to prove.
    I wanted them to keep Lewis too.

Getting a bunch of cast-offs to play above their pay-grade isn't something you can count on, but it's easier for them to do so with a bunch of studs Thomas, Chancellor and Sherman on the field at the same time.

Lebeau's scheme works; when you have he players to run it effectively. Need a big NT in there next year and another CB. That plus a year of seasoning for Jones, Thomas, Williams (Spence?) and things will look much better.

I absolutely love Heyward this year and think Worilds needs to be resigned. Add a big NT and watch the sack/pressure numbers go up. Then the CB's can start to play more press coverage.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You give a list of GREAT FORMER PLAYERS then say THE COACH is the problem? Same coach back then.
    Ever consider that when to have you can have the THIRD HIGHEST RECORDED SACK ARTIST IN HISTORY (Greene) 14 sacks, Lloyd 10 sacks, Brown 8.5 sacks and possibly the best pure pass rushing 3/4 defensive end this team has ever seen Rays Seals 7 sacks, a FUTURE HALL OF FAMER like ROD Woodson can line up a whole lot tighter than Williams stinkin Gay with the relative bums we have today rushing the passer.

Same coach different results.
    It aint scheme its talent.
    I gave a list of FORMER GREATS to emphasize that at one time DL actually designed a defense that brought pressure rather than sat back and let the offense dictate what it would do. For each of those greats, you had guys like Hall, Hinkle, Washington, Scott, who weren't great ... but filled a role in the defense. Stars and role players. At one point in time DL designed defenses that played to the strengths of both. Today? not so much. not so much at all.

I apologize if you don't like my opinion, but here it is ... If you're going to play crappy defense .. play lights out pressure defense ... this "death by a thousand cuts" crap has to stop. At one point in time DL knew this ... lately he's become an ostrich with his head in the sand as the newer rules/offenses etc pass him by ... or a Lemming blindly marching to the sea ... Again, only the Pope has a job for life. With every other job, there is a realization that sometimes as you age you can get set in your ways or that newer ideas/processes pass you by ... DL sure as heck isn't the Pope and it's a darned shame that some fans (and apparently the Rooneys) think he should be treated as such.
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 12-09-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I gave a list of FORMER GREATS to emphasize that at one time DL actually designed a defense that brought pressure rather than sat back and let the offense dictate what it would do. For each of those greats, you had guys like Hall, Hinkle, Washington, Scott, who weren't great ... but filled a role in the defense. Stars and role players. At one point in time DL designed defenses that played to the strengths of both. Today? not so much. not so much at all.

I apologize if you don't like my opinion, but here it is ... If you're going to play crappy defense .. play lights out pressure defense ... this "death by a thousand cuts" crap has to stop. At one point in time DL knew this ... lately he's become an ostrich with his head in the sand as the newer rules/offenses etc pass him by ... or a Lemming blindly marching to the sea ... Again, only the Pope has a job for life. With every other job, there is a realization that sometimes as you age you can get set in your ways or that newer ideas/processes pass you by ... DL sure as heck isn't the Pope and it's a darned shame that some fans (and apparently the Rooneys) think he should be treated as such.
    Ummm... you talk like they've been mediocre for years. Guess the fact that they were 5th in scoring defense last season, and 1st in 2011 still doesnt do it for you? They lost two defensive leaders before the season, and it's that loss that is causing problems.

Legend

User Info Menu

Until it's shown that press coverage fails, the burden of proof is on the DL supporters to show why he shouldn't be shown the door for insisting on the 10-yard cushion.

Didn't we have a game or two this season where we did press coverage and did really well?

Of course: Maybe the coaches have run press coverage in practice, and seen that it is even worse than what we see on Sundays. We never will know if that's the case ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I dont get the blame on DL and the system. Essentially this same coach and system produced arguably one of the best Ds in the history of the NFL a few short years ago. Clearly, there's a significant difference between the talent on that team and the current roster.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Ummm... you talk like they've been mediocre for years. Guess the fact that they were 5th in scoring defense last season, and 1st in 2011 still doesnt do it for you? They lost two defensive leaders before the season, and it's that loss that is causing problems.
    You know as well as I do that those rankings were a mirage. The defense last year was not as good as its ranking and it was that 1st ranked defense that got absolutely lit up by Tebow. As far as losing two defensive leaders before the season being what's causing problems; well, I guess you could look at it that way. Or you could look at it like they FAILED to DEVELOP quality backups.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I dont get the blame on DL and the system. Essentially this same coach and system produced arguably one of the best Ds in the history of the NFL a few short years ago. Clearly, there's a significant difference between the talent on that team and the current roster.
    I wonder if that true statement is the problem ... if the system doesn't change when the personnel needed to make it work are no longer there, that is a problem. Gotta put together a system that uses the tools you have, not the ones you wish you had (apologies to Donald Rumsfeld).

Our defensive talent has clearly declined ... if the system that depends on a higher quality pool of players hasn't changed with it - that's a problem.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Until it's shown that press coverage fails, the burden of proof is on the DL supporters to show why he shouldn't be shown the door for insisting on the 10-yard cushion.

Didn't we have a game or two this season where we did press coverage and did really well?

Of course: Maybe the coaches have run press coverage in practice, and seen that it is even worse than what we see on Sundays. We never will know if that's the case ...
    Ohhh, they bring the press coverage out a few times each year... it works .. it fits the skill sets of our corners ... the corners do their jobs ... we get pressure on the QB ...and *puff* it's tucked away like it was just a dream.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The problem is that he is using the same system. The league has him figured out. Use short quick passes to take advantage of the 10 years cushions or spread the defense out and force the OLBs to drop into coverage so they can't pressure the QB. I've been saying it for three years...once the league started evolving into a pass first league LeBeau doesn't know what to do. The trends were obvious to anyone not praying at his alter and making excuses.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The problem is that he is using the same system. The league has him figured out. Use short quick passes to take advantage of the 10 years cushions or spread the defense out and force the OLBs to drop into coverage so they can't pressure the QB. I've been saying it for three years...once the league started evolving into a pass first league LeBeau doesn't know what to do. The trends were obvious to anyone not praying at his alter and making excuses.
    Oviedo, you are aware that Coach Lebeau's system is a product of and a direct action response to "High flying" pass first and foremost offensive football right ? Give him even a decent measure of personnel and there remains very few systems that can match it in league history. Players whom have played for him and within the system will tell anyone as much.

Is it an error on his part for attempting to run it as he always has even in light of the fact that we no longer really have the players to do so ? Perhaps,...i will give you that,...but i do not agree that he is inept and or no longer "knows what to do" per say.