Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Staff Must Shouler Blame For Jason Worilds Situation

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Sounds stupid.

He paid his duty behind two solid, top NFL LBs. I don't get all the whining. He's getting his chance now.

I don't think Harrison was whining when he was cut multiple times early in his career and had to work his way into a starting role (dominating on special teams for starters). Sounds alot like sour grapes to me.
    No reason he couldn't had gotten more reps to give Woodley and Harrison a break. Both of the "vets" struggled with injuries the past three years. No one is saying that Worilds should had been the starter but he could had been on the field alot more than he was.

The scenario is much like Keenan Lewis. Guy rarely gets significant time on the field until contract year when he performs to a high level and we lose him. Lewis should have been splitting playing time with Gay who is far from an elite player. Like I always say, these young players need to get more meaningful reps so an informed decision can be made before the end of their contract year. In a cap based league you need to get more out of young players sooner so you don't get backed into extending vets who you are comfortable with.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He did get a lot of reps, Oviedo

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No reason he couldn't had gotten more reps to give Woodley and Harrison a break. Both of the "vets" struggled with injuries the past three years. No one is saying that Worilds should had been the starter but he could had been on the field alot more than he was.

The scenario is much like Keenan Lewis. Guy rarely gets significant time on the field until contract year when he performs to a high level and we lose him. Lewis should have been splitting playing time with Gay who is far from an elite player. Like I always say, these young players need to get more meaningful reps so an informed decision can be made before the end of their contract year. In a cap based league you need to get more out of young players sooner so you don't get backed into extending vets who you are comfortable with.
    He started half the games in '11 (his 2nd year)! He came back in his 3rd year, and was beaten out by the aforementioned Minnesota Viking WR great. And he still got a good share of playing time. And in his 4th year (this year), a rookie beat him out.

They have good information on his, if you ask me:
    1) He's got good (not great) ability
    2) He's not the most durable player (missing games every year he's been in the league, and something that doesn't typically improve the older you get. BTW, he's out for this week's game.)

Bottom line, there will be a premium for his services. He's young, and he's playing his best in his contract year. No one is going to give him Woodley-money, but he'll get a nice offer from somebody. Though we can ill afford to lose ANY young players, I think this is one where we are going to have to pass.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    He started half the games in '11 (his 2nd year)! He came back in his 3rd year, and was beaten out by the aforementioned Minnesota Viking WR great. And he still got a good share of playing time. And in his 4th year (this year), a rookie beat him out.

They have good information on his, if you ask me:
    1) He's got good (not great) ability
    2) He's not the most durable player (missing games every year he's been in the league, and something that doesn't typically improve the older you get. BTW, he's out for this week's game.)

Bottom line, there will be a premium for his services. He's young, and he's playing his best in his contract year. No one is going to give him Woodley-money, but he'll get a nice offer from somebody. Though we can ill afford to lose ANY young players, I think this is one where we are going to have to pass.

Here's my question:

How much of Worild's increase in performance is due to Cam Heyward's emergence and even Ziggy's improvement? Or is that just insane thinking?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    Here's my question:

How much of Worild's increase in performance is due to Cam Heyward's emergence and even Ziggy's improvement? Or is that just insane thinking?
    And how much is due to Worilds being able to settle in on the left side?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    And how much is due to Worilds being able to settle in on the left side?

That's Cam's side, no?

Legend

User Info Menu

I do believe there's some connection between the emergence of Cam and the improved play of Worilds.

And Worilds is obviously better on the left side. How many of his playing opportunities referred to by the OPs were on the left side?

I share the concerns about lavishing a big contract on him. I'd like to see him kept around for a decent price, but I expect some other team will give him a bigger offer than the Steelers will. Such a shame to lose these players just as they're starting to play really well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I do believe there's some connection between the emergence of Cam and the improved play of Worilds.

And Worilds is obviously better on the left side. How many of his playing opportunities referred to by the OPs were on the left side?

I share the concerns about lavishing a big contract on him. I'd like to see him kept around for a decent price, but I expect some other team will give him a bigger offer than the Steelers will. Such a shame to lose these players just as they're starting to play really well.
    The 2008 and 2009 drafts probably forced the Steelers to spend money that they didn't really expect to spend because of the lack of production from those two draft classes. Now they are struggling with the cap and retaining their good young players. This off season should be rather interesting.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Please, don't let's pretend that neither Worilds nor Keenan Lewis has opportunities before their 4th year...

Worilds had plenty of reps and starts in years 1-3 to prove himself...

Don't get me started on Lewis...punching out a pane of glass in Denver does little to show me that someone has earned more playing time after a poor performance....Lewis was the front runner for starting CB then, too...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Please, don't let's pretend that neither Worilds nor Keenan Lewis has opportunities before their 4th year...

Worilds had plenty of reps and starts in years 1-3 to prove himself...

Don't get me started on Lewis...punching out a pane of glass in Denver does little to show me that someone has earned more playing time after a poor performance....Lewis was the front runner for starting CB then, too...
    Exactly. The revisionists completely forget the poor play of Keenan Lewis and the temper tantrum he had in Denver. He had an opportunity that he failed to take advantage of. I'm fine with giving young players an opportunity, but I'd hate to hand them a starting position to see what they have.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This is some serious revisionist history. Worilds was oft-injured for his first three years with the team. He had a prime opportunity last year when Harrison missed the beginning of the season, but he wasn't healthy enough to take advantage.
    Not sure where you guys are getting your info. Worilds was listed "doubtful" a total of 7 times in 63 opportunities. He was given early chances, but didn't impress. That's not something you can pin on the coaches.
    His biggest problem was beating out all-pro Harrison or Woodley, .. no easy task. Fortunately for Worilds, Woodley has turned into a oft-injured and generally unreliable player and now he can take advantage. The coaches are now giving him another chance.