Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    NOT busting on you sir. I just need to say that it does not of course matter what rd these guys are taken in any of them could end up a bust like Sweed.
    Or a first round bust like Heyward-Bay......Oh wait......We WANT guys like that!!! Nevermind.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    The WR pool in this year's draft is so deep that choosing one in the 1st round over other areas of need is inadvisable. Players like Moncrief, Bryant, Latimer & Janis are all good options & will be available later in the draft though Moncrief may creep eventually into the 2nd & Latimer's pro-day may push him into the 3rd.
    I was thinking the same thing. We need value. In a pure value sense, taking Evans (which then probably takes us out of the WR market in the following rounds) is probably not the best value decision.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. We need value. In a pure value sense, taking Evans (which then probably takes us out of the WR market in the following rounds) is probably not the best value decision.
    I agree in principle and have many times conteded that receiver is overvalued as a position.
    That said, perhaps Evans IS the value pick if he is legit top 10 talent.

But if he is gone (as expected) dont reach for since another receiver would NOT be a value pick.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I agree in principle and have many times conteded that receiver is overvalued as a position.
    That said, perhaps Evans IS the value pick if he is legit top 10 talent.

But if he is gone (as expected) dont reach for since another receiver would NOT be a value pick.
    It is even more expected that Mike Evans will be gone at 1.15 considering that TB just unloaded Mike Williams.

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL Draft: Mike Evans' stock rises with Williams trade

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    April 4, 2014

Is Tampa Bay eyeing Mike Evans with its pick at No. 7?

The biggest winner out of Friday's trade of wide receiver Mike Williams to the Buffalo Bills could ultimately prove to be Mike Evans.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were aggressive in reshaping their roster under new general manager Jason Licht and head coach Lovie Smith, and were set to enter the 2014 NFL Draft with plenty of directions they could go with the No. 7 overall pick. In dealing Williams, however, the Bucs now have a clear need for a playmaking wide receiver opposite Vincent Jackson.

NFLDraftScoutcom's Rob Rang projects the Bucs to land Clemson's Sammy Watkins at No. 7, but there figures to be plenty of jockeying in front of Tampa Bay come draft day for the most dynamic wideout in this draft. Fellow analysis Dane Brugler projects Watkins to the Oakland Raiders two picks earlier, and a number of teams could be interested in leapfrogging the Bucs should Watkins still be on the board.

That could bring Evans into play with the seventh pick. At 6-feet-5 and 231 pounds, Evans would team with Jackson (6-5, 230) to give new starting quarterback Josh McCown the type of super-sized combo he excelled with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery in Chicago last season. Smith also helped bring Marshall and Jeffery to Chicago as head coach of the Bears.

Evans, the second-rated wide receiver and No. 13 overall prospect by NFLDraftScout.com, is a long-strider who has been compared to Jackson by NFLDraftScout.com since last year due to his combination of size, physicality and body control. Some scouts believe Evans helped "make" Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, and the redshirt sophomore has increased his stock since the end of the season - highlighted by his 4.53-second 40-yard dash time he was credited with at the Scouting Combine.

There is little doubt the Bucs will target a receiver earlier in the Draft. Of the other six receivers they have on the current roster, only Louis Murphy has more than two years of NFL experience, and the sixth-year veteran caught only six passes for the New York Giants last season.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24513532/nfl-draft-mike-evans-stock-rises-with-williams-trade[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    NOT busting on you sir. I just need to say that it does not of course matter what rd these guys are taken in any of them could end up a bust like Sweed.
    You are absolutely correct...to wit, most thought the selection of Sweed was a steal in the 2nd & by contrast AB was thought to be a redundant pick in the 6th. IMO the cost to jump up to acquire Evans isn't worth it when you consider the depth of talent available in later rounds.

That said...the only WR I see as worth trading up for is Watkins, beyond that there are greater areas of need - & to me Hageman & Ealy look tempting at 15.
    Last edited by Steel Life; 04-06-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 NFL Draft Fact or Fiction

By Curt Popejoy , Featured Columnist April 10, 2014

Pittsburgh Could Trade Up for Texas A&M Wide Receiver Mike Evans: Fiction

Chalk this one up as pure speculation. But if the Steelers are really serious on drafting Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans, can they hope he is there at 15? Probably not. So, if Evans is their target, would they be willing to mortgage some of their picks to go up and get him?

It is a risky proposition on two fronts. First, for as talented as Evans is, he is still a raw prospect. Expectations for him must be tempered early on while he adjusts to an NFL-style offense. With multiple positions of need, is a trade-up prudent?

Second has to do with the position. Is a trade-up for any wide receiver in this class good business? Even with three compensatory picks, selections are at a premium for Pittsburgh. It is difficult to think about giving away picks to move up for Evans, when one of those traded selections could turn out to be a Pro Bowl player. This draft class is just too deep to go all knee-jerk for one player.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2023745-pittsburgh-steelers-2014-nfl-draft-fact-or-fiction/page/8[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Curt Popejoy just has all the answers doesnt he.

Interested in all the big 10 prospects, but not evans lol

Legend

User Info Menu

In a draft that is reportedly very deep in WRs I can't even begin to tell you how bad an idea it is to move up in the draft for a WR. That would tell me that the Steelers don't have any faith in their scouting department to find a good WR in the 2nd or 3rd round, ugh, I would hate a trade up for Evans or any player for that matter.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Are the Steelers interested in Mike Evans? Of course...

Should they trade up for Mike Evans? Probably not...Popejoy is correct in questioning the prudence of such an action...

Will they trade up? Who knows...