Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terry Bradshaw thinks NFL doesn’t truly care about former players

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Bradshaw thinks NFL doesn’t truly care about former players

Bradshaw thinks NFL doesn’t truly care about former players

Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2012,

The ongoing debate regarding whether current or former NFL players would let their sons play football continues.

This time, the comments come from a high-profile Hall of Famer with one small caveat: He doesn’t have a son.

“If I had a son today . . . I would not let him play football,” Terry Bradshaw told Jay Leno on The Tonight Show (via SportsBusiness Daily).

Bradshaw, who said he suffered six serious concussions in which he was “knocked out,” added something less inherently hypothetical: ”There will be a time in the next decade where we will not see football as it is.” He explained that the contact sports will “slowly phase away,” while soccer (which involve plenty of contact between ball and head — causing plenty of concussions, especially for girls), baseball, and basketball will grow.

That said, Bradshaw said he knew what he signed up for, and that he’d “absolutely” do it again.

Bradshaw also suggested that any effort by the league to suddenly express concern for former players is fueled not by compassion but by litigation.

“I have to be careful here because I work for Fox and NFL Network,” Bradshaw said, “but I don’t think they care. They’re forced to care now because it’s politically correct to care. Lawsuits make you care. I think the P.R. makes you care. But personally, when I got out in 1983, do I think they cared about me? No. And you know what? I don’t expect them to. I don’t need them to worry about me. I take care of myself. But, do they care? They’re forced to care right now because, P.R.-wise, it’s not very favorable to them.”

The comments about the future of the game from Bradshaw, one of the top analysts on FOX, bookend words uttered earlier this year by FOX’s Troy Aikman, whose dire prediction about the future of the game seemed unduly pessimistic and flat-out confusing, given that he still makes millions per year via the popularity of the NFL.

Last year, Bradshaw revealed that he suffers from the consequences of concussions, explaining that he routinely re-entered games after having his “bell rung.”

“I’d take smelling salts and go right back out there,” Bradshaw wrote for FOXSports.com. “All of us did that. We didn’t know any better. You don’t know how many times I was in the huddle, asking my teammates to help me call a play.”

To date, neither Bradshaw nor Aikman (who suffered multiple concussions during his NFL career) have joined in the concussion lawsuits against the league. It’s hard not to wonder whether either or both of them eventually will; if their relationships with one of the league’s broadcast partners won’t stop them from saying things that could be problematic from a P.R. standpoint, why not pursue whatever legal rights they may believe they have?

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/bradshaw-doesnt-think-nfl-truly-cares-about-former-players/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I pretty much agree with Terry on this when it comes to the NFL's stance. However, Americans still don't take to soccer. Violent sports like MMA have been increasingly popular, so I don't think we'll lose our violence fix. Heck, one of the reasons that is cited for the decline of Americans in Heavyweight boxing is that the next great American Champ became a LB or TE instead. Who knows, maybe if they continue to water down football we could start to see larger guys going back into combat sports.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure Commish Goodell will do whats right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fighters don't want to deal with the polictics of boxing, so they go to MMA where's it's one guy (Dana White) calling the shots.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that none of my past employers give a rat's behind about me now either, nor should they.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I'm pretty sure that none of my past employers give a rat's behind about me now either, nor should they.

true, but there's a good chance your past jobs didn't result in you having possible drain bamage for the rest of your life either...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry was going to request that team doctors administer a post-concussion brain scan before allowing him to return to the field, but he did not know what type of scan should be done, even after spotting him the "C" and the "T".
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    "You don’t know how many times I was in the huddle, asking my teammates to help me call a play.”

Terry's teammates thought that was just normal behavior for him...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Terry was going to request that team doctors administer a post-concussion brain scan before allowing him to return to the field, but he did not know what type of scan should be done, even after spotting him the "C" and the "T".
    Hey, i just met Hollywood Henderson. He lost his football fortune, won another in the Texas lottery, and now lives in Boca Raton, Florida.
    I told him i was a Steeler fan and he kind of glared at me for a second, then said with a smile, "Those were some good games back then, weren't they?"
    I told him it was good to meet someone from that era.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    They would if other former employees were suing because of job hazards.