Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomlin..... Learn something from Chip

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Then Tomlin needs to hold the coordinators accountable for details. In this case, particularly Haley (who has to hold Bicknell accountable) for the disaaster that is the Steelers' offense.

Pappy
    I don't know Bicknell from Adam, but I do feel that Lombardi himself (whose 1st pro job was as an offensive coach) couldn't get jack out of these guys. The quality just isn't there. And I don't mean just because Pouncey went down. People with the skill level Ramon Foster and Adams protecting a franchise QB's blind side?

Whatever poor coaching may contribute, I think the largest problems by far are 1) poor protoplasm for our coaches to work with, and 2) injuries. The more interesting question to me, and what I think needs to be addressed the most to move forward, is why we're having those problems.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Chip Kelly is an offensive genius... a guru of sorts. I think his philosophy may work in the NFL. It looks fun, high octane and some of the formations and blocking techniques are crazy.

I doubt Tomlin can institute something like that due to our FO. We need a college OC like the guy in Clemson or Texas A&M.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Chip Kelly is an offensive genius... a guru of sorts.
    Haley's right there with him. There really is no difference between genius and idiot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I don't know Bicknell from Adam, but I do feel that Lombardi himself (whose 1st pro job was as an offensive coach) couldn't get jack out of these guys. The quality just isn't there. And I don't mean just because Pouncey went down. People with the skill level Ramon Foster and Adams protecting a franchise QB's blind side?

Whatever poor coaching may contribute, I think the largest problems by far are 1) poor protoplasm for our coaches to work with, and 2) injuries. The more interesting question to me, and what I think needs to be addressed the most to move forward, is why we're having those problems.
    It doesn't take any amount of skill to understand the snap count or to be able to identify the players wearing the same colored jersey as you particularly when you're running directly behind one of them, and I have a hard time believing that the Steelers have 5 offensive linemen so bad at blocking that they can't be held accountable on some level.

I also think that there are offensive line coaches out there that would be able to put this group of linemen in a position to be successful. It remains to be seen if the Steeler coaching staff has what it takes.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin's the guy with a couple of SB rings. Let's see what Kelly can do over the long haul. People shouldn't get caught up into what's new and shiny to quickly.

Legend

User Info Menu

It doesn't take any amount of skill to understand the snap count or to be able to identify the players wearing the same colored jersey as you particularly when you're running directly behind one of them, and I have a hard time believing that the Steelers have 5 offensive linemen so bad at blocking that they can't be held accountable on some level.

I also think that there are offensive line coaches out there that would be able to put this group of linemen in a position to be successful. It remains to be seen if the Steeler coaching staff has what it takes.

Pappy
    Why not go 5 wide with Ben in the gun in a fast paced no huddle. Ben could pick anyone apart. The D would tire and they couldn't rush that many with 5 wide. Plus in the gun he can get rid of the ball without taking hits. Even if they blitz with 6, someone should be able to beat their 1 on 1 matchup. And I doubt anyone would cover all our WRs 1 on 1 with their open field running ability. Even our line should be able to block 3-5 guys every play.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Why not go 5 wide with Ben in the gun in a fast paced no huddle. Ben could pick anyone apart. The D would tire and they couldn't rush that many with 5 wide. Plus in the gun he can get rid of the ball without taking hits. Even if they blitz with 6, someone should be able to beat their 1 on 1 matchup. And I doubt anyone would cover all our WRs 1 on 1 with their open field running ability. Even our line should be able to block 3-5 guys every play.

I agree with this..maximize Ben's Strengths.....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Tomlin's the guy with a couple of SB rings. Let's see what Kelly can do over the long haul. People shouldn't get caught up into what's new and shiny to quickly.
    Fair enough.... but it's farily obvious that the more this becomes "Tomlins team", the more this team sucks.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Our OL is filled with 1st and 2nd rounders and it looks worse than before.

The almighty DD just took out our C... not sure what more we can do. It's definitely coaching. We have a bunch of softies up front. Not sure what SF is doing but those guys are monsters who don't miss games. There is a culture of hurt = injured and it needs to stop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Our OL is filled with 1st and 2nd rounders and it looks worse than before.

The almighty DD just took out our C... not sure what more we can do. It's definitely coaching. We have a bunch of softies up front. Not sure what SF is doing but those guys are monsters who don't miss games. There is a culture of hurt = injured and it needs to stop.
    I agree, Pouncey needs to be held accountable, get out of the whirlpool, and back on the field.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!