Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Markus Wheaton in the third

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    And Arians only repeated his modus operandi when he left for Indy who had an arguably worse OL than the Steelers and yet he had a rookie QB hold the ball for 20+yd routes. Luck was hit a lot more than he needed to be for a first year QB.
    The Colts made the playoffs.

BA may have a style that exposes the QB to more hits but it also exposes them to more opportunities to win games.

I bet the house BA wouldn't call a bubble screen inside our own 2 yard line...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    p

And you just nailed it. Sorry, I can't place Bens success in a very new O on some rule changes. That's a tremendous stretch. Ben was freakish for 8 games before the injury. If Ben stays healthy you will see even more.
    Ben's success was Ben being a magician on 3rd down.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The Colts made the playoffs.

BA may have a style that exposes the QB to more hits but it also exposes them to more opportunities to win games.

I bet the house BA wouldn't call a bubble screen inside our own 2 yard line...
    You'd probably lose your house...

Legend

User Info Menu

How about we give Haley more than one year before we want to burn him at the stake.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    During BA's career, we averaged 22.6 pts per game. Haley's offense which was intended to fix BA's short comings put up 21 pts per game.

Ben averaged 14.6 games during BA's tenure vs 13 for Haley's one season. And BA's tenure included his suspension. Take out the suspension and Ben missed 3 games over BA's 5 year tenure. That's how many games he missed last year and Haley was brought in to protect him.

Haley's here, so I support him. But he has yet to do what he's promised to do. We didn't like BA cause he could run. The OLine couldn't block. The RedZone efficiency sucked. And yet, under Haley, the running game got worse. The scoring got worse. Ben's health was worse. Ben was statistically having a better year, but the team didn't improve offensively like the Steelers wanted.

And avoiding the deep ball didn't protect Ben in the end. It just took away chances to score more. To open up things underneath. To help take a DB out of the box and help the running game.

I think you can make a pretty good case that BA got the most out of the players he had. Haley still has yet to do this. Hopefully he does. But we just haven't seen it yet.
    Glad to see others jumped in on this... was starting to think i was the only weirdo who was not really impressed thus far...

Legend

User Info Menu

p

And you just nailed it. Sorry, I can't place Bens success in a very new O on some rule changes. That's a tremendous stretch. Ben was freakish for 8 games before the injury. If Ben stays healthy you will see even more.
    but, to say it has zero impact? that's like saying going from 12 games to 16 games wouldn't lead to more 1000-yard rushers... you'd be ignoring facts...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben's success was Ben being a magician on 3rd down.
    Dink and dunk mean fewer sack, higher percentage, easy 1st down pickups.

"Magic" is easier when you arent facing 3rd and 10 or more all the time

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy
    And what I believe Shawn is saying is that Ben's chances of playing 16 HEALTHY games increases dramatically if he plays within Haley's system as opposed to playing within Arians' system...if he simply decides to go rogue, it doesn't matter who the coordinator is...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVille
    I don't want 16 healthy with an average (to below average) offense. They started 5-3 in the easier half of the schedule, including losses to the Raiders and Titans... Gimme 14 healthy when the team is 12-4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Huh??????????????????????????????????????
    You totally lost me
    To clarify -- my question/point was do we care about winning or do we care ONLY about Ben being healthy? I realize that one influences the other, but, there's a certain amount of give and take.

For example, if the team came out and ran the ball up the middle on every single down, just to keep Ben healthy, that would be a problem right? They'd probably go close to 0-16 and we'd all be ticked off.

Obviously running every play is extreme, but, you get the point. I'm asking what's the hang up on 16 healthy games (from Ben) in an average offense? I'd rather have 14 healthy games (from Ben) in an explosive offense. During 2 of the 3 seasons they've gone to the Super Bowl during Ben's tenure, he played only 12 games (for various reasons - lol)...

It's not a requirement to have perfect attendance during the regular season to do well in the postseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

How about we give Haley more than one year before we want to burn him at the stake.
    simply said i wasn't impressed thus far... if that's burning at the stake... mmmkay....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    simply said i wasn't impressed thus far... if that's burning at the stake... mmmkay....
    Tell me. What do you do with offensive coordinators?

Burn!
    Burn!
    Burn! Burn them up! Burn!...

And what do you burn apart from offensive coordinators?

More offensive coordinators!
    Shh!
    Wood!

So, why do offensive coordinators burn?

B--... 'cause they're made of... wood?

Good! Heh heh.

Oh, yeah. Oh.

So, how do we tell whether he is made of wood?

Build a bridge out of him.

Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?

Oh, yeah.
    Oh, yeah. True. Uhh...

Does wood sink in water?

No. No.
    No, it floats! It floats!
    Throw him into the pond!
    The pond! Throw him into the pond!

What also floats in water?

Bread!
    Apples!
    Uh, very small rocks!
    Cider!
    Uh, gra-- gravy!
    Cherries!
    Mud!
    Uh, churches! Churches!
    Lead! Lead!

A duck!

Oooh.

Exactly. So, logically...

If... he... weighs... the same as a duck,... he's made of wood.

And therefore?

An offensive coordinator!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.