Thread: Fast Learner: Steelers Rookie Adams With 1st Team

Legend

User Info Menu

Fast Learner: Steelers Rookie Adams With 1st Team

Fast Learner: Steelers Rookie Adams With 1st Team

Jul 6th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

In a post that focused on the importance of bringing back Max Starks, there has been a debate developing about how ready Mike Adams will be. Is he starter material right away or will he take time to develop? Perhaps the mini-camps give us some insight.

Even though Adams missed ten practices before he was able to participate at the South Side facilities, the coaches placed Adams on the 1st team when taking reps. Ask if Adams is worried, and he’ll tell you ‘I went to rookie minicamp and the last minicamp, so I have a good feel for things.’

Adams let on that even though he was still in school, he had the playbook with him at all times. I don’t blame the kid (cause hell, if I was drafted by the Steelers I would have a tough time thinking about anything else) for phoning in the last part of the semester of his senior year. But studying the playbook and hitting the field as an NFL athlete are two completely different worlds. But, the brain and the body are quick to learn with Adams as coaches appear pleased with his progress even though he missed so much time. There was always a question about Adams’ ability to play at the NFL level. He has raw skill, but has been burned a few times at the college level that should cause a pause for concern. That didn’t seem like a problem as of yet during the OTA’s and mini-camps. We’ll obviously see and learn more once we get into camp and players go through the rigorous three weeks – especially in some preseason game action.

Regardless of the Starks argument whether you think it necessary to bring him back or not – Adams is will worth the investment. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Steelers throw him to the wolves and leave him on the 1st team for the majority of camp to see how he handles things. Adams practically begged the Steelers to put him back on their draft board. It showed a lot of guts on Adams’ part, but I think the Steelers are going to put him through a lot of ‘prove yourself’ moments with no support net in place. It’s a bit of tough love if it goes down that way, but it could be the very scenario for a guy like Adams to thrive in.

Adams is a win win type of experiment. Should he succeed at the left tackle position, then Ben Roethlisberger is going to be a happy man for years to come. Win. Should he fail right away the Steelers will keep him around and develop him until he is ready. He’s worth the investment with his natural abilities and should develop over time. Win. Well what do the Steelers do in the meantime should Adams no work out? Well….. why don’t you go ask Dom, I think he knows the answer. Bring the big lug back and let him play one more season while Adams adjusts and learns. He’s yet to prove us any differently that we shouldn’t. Win.

There’s also the option of moving Gilbert or Colon should Adams not work right away. I guess what I’m saying is, we’ll be fine. Win.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/06/fast-learner-steelers-rookie-adams-with-1st-team/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Adams still first in line to start at Left Tackle

July 20th, 2012

With the return of Max Starks to the Steelers many are questioning who will be the starting Left Tackle. It still looks though as if there will not be a question to who the starter is. Starks basically answered that question for us in an interview with WDVE. Starks plans to start the preseason on the PUP List. He still wants to start and plans to compete but by the time he can practice it may be to late.

That means that Mike Adams is still first in line to start. That is what he was drafted to do and that was what was expected from him. As a second round pick at the position of left tackle you are expected to contribute to the team.

The Steelers know what they are getting from Starks when he is healthy. Starting him on the PUP list is better for this football team. It gives Mike Adams more first team reps and gives him time to learn the offense. He can gel with the guys around him each and every practice on each and every snap. That is what he needs. Repetition, repetition and more repetition.

With Adams having this oppurtunity to work with the first team he will be able to show what he has got. He will be going up every day against 2 of the best pass rushers in the league. Woodley and Harrison are not going to take it easy on him in practice. The harder they go the more the team will know about Adams heading into the season. If he can block those guys then he can handle an NFL pass rush. There are not to many guys better then those two.

I love the idea of having Starks back on this team for insurance but I have full confidence in Adams. With the Steelers coaching and some discipline this kid has all the makings of a great left tackle. He has the size and skill to succeed. The only thing that can hold him back is himself.

[URL]http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/07/20/mike-adams-still-first-in-line-to-start-at-left-tackle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Black+and+Gol d%29[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it makes sense to have Starks as a backup to both tackles and try to roll with Adams as a starter. Week 1, trial by fire with Starks as a fallback plan.

I see Starks as our Charlie Batch of offensive linemen and think he can stick around for a few years as a quality backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think it makes sense to have Starks as a backup to both tackles and try to roll with Adams as a starter. Week 1, trial by fire with Starks as a fallback plan.

I see Starks as our Charlie Batch of offensive linemen and think he can stick around for a few years as a quality backup.
    agreed. it makes a big difference with Starks around to mentor Adams. One of the big things for a rookie to learn is how to prepare for an NFL game, establishing that routine and focus. Having an experienced guy whispering in your ear can be a huge benefit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you guys are reading into things way too much.
    Yes, right now it's Adam's job to lose, but based on the odds he's not the 1st plan. Max Starks is.....BUT Starks is still rehabbing his knee from January ACL surgery. Full repair of an ACL for a sprinter is 12 months, but since Starks is a lineman I'm sure it's less. Starks said he needs to get in "playing shape" ... the only way Adam's is a starter is if Starks' rehab is slow or Adam's just shines in training camp. I'm thinking right now the Steelers are expecting Max to get in shape and Adams will take time to progress
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Question is; is a 90% Starks better than a 100% Adams? That's what the coaching staff will have to decide. Starks isn't known to have the quickest feet, so if the injury limits his movement even a little, you have to wonder if Adams gets the call.