Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TE & our crappy WR's

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    We have good receivers, but they haven't performed like in the past, my question beside Miller who did on that O?
    I thought Foster and Starks did if you are counting OL...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Last year we had one of the best WR corps in the league... Now we are the worst? LOL.
    We did? Or was it just rose colored glasses being worn by biased Steeler fans?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Last year we had one of the best WR corps in the league... Now we are the worst? LOL.
    Two years ago our LB corp was clutch as well....not so much now....does the same principle apply?
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I thought Foster and Starks did if you are counting OL...
    I wasn't counting the O-line, but yeah I agree the two above played well for the most part.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We were 9th in receiving yards and tied with about 5 other teams at 13th in receiver scoring. This young group showed promise in 2011 so that gave Steeler fans some cause for excitement that we may have a terrific receiving corp with the young money crew. Unfortunately that excitement brought some lofty expectations that weren't lived up to.

Wallace - Held out of training camp when we had a new OC on staff. Had nearly as many drive killing drops as game changing catches. Showed throughout the season he isn't a physical WR at all whether it was failing to come back for the ball when that simple action would of gained his offense the pass interference call on a defender that doesn't turn for the ball, or his poor downfield blocking efforts, he showed his poor effort too often. He doesn't catch the ball with his hands on a vast majority of his attempts, instead letting the ball come to his body which has caused far too many dropped passes. He lacks the physicality and mental toughness to take on a defender with the ball in the air. He truly is a one trick pony.

Eventually he will beat the coverage deep and at a minimum come close to catching the HR ball, if not catching one. That basically makes him almost worthless once the field shortens near the red zone as there isn't enough field to make his one positive attribute, beating a defender in a long foot race, a non factor.

Without a solid running game it gets tougher to draw the defense in so they can sit back in coverage more. Play action would allow us to attempt the long ball more often.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

You know, a year ago we had the worst Placekicker in the NFL too.. funny how perceptions change.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not quite doom n gloom on the WR's yet. I thought they were a strength heading into the season. They didn't live up to their potential, with a lot of mental lapses. Maybe some new blood at the WR coaching spot would invigorate this unit. This is the first year with Hines gone, I'm not saying I want him as the coach but maybe he picked up the slack where the WR coach, Montgomery, left off.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    hey DD, love your mock draft in your sig but I don't think Minter will still be available at our 2nd round pick. but if he were still on the board early in Round 2 I would be all for trading up to get him.
    Yeah this was before I knew the Steelers were drafting at 17. I will do one again within the next week or so. My thought was trade down and get another second round pick. Like an early second rounder. And there is a good chance Minter could be there from 33-40. But yes you are right. He is steadily climbing the board. But if you will recall I started this Kevin Minter campaign well before you could find him on any one's list higher than the 4th round.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yeah this was before I knew the Steelers were drafting at 17. I will do one again within the next week or so. My thought was trade down and get another second round pick. Like an early second rounder. And there is a good chance Minter could be there from 33-40. But yes you are right. He is steadily climbing the board. But if you will recall I started this Kevin Minter campaign well before you could find him on any one's list higher than the 4th round.
    Kevin Minter does his part and more in LSU loss

Linebacker finishes with 19 tackles

BY SCOTT HOTARD
    January 06, 2013

Kevin Minter is an all-in guy. Just a great leader, a great player. Instinctive.” LES MILES, LSU coach

ATLANTA — Returning to his home state for the final game of his junior season, LSU linebacker Kevin Minter showed everyone back home what most fans in Louisiana saw all season.

Minter finished with 19 tackles Monday night in the Chick-fil-A Bowl to go with one sack and two tackles for loss, falling two stops short of matching the LSU record for tackles in a game.

About the only thing missing for the Suwanee, Ga., product was a win.

Clemson rallied in the final minutes for a 25-24 victory, sealing the win with two late scores against an LSU defense that was on the field for 100 plays.

“Kevin Minter is an all-in guy,” LSU coach Les Miles said. “Just a great leader, a great player. Instinctive.”

Minter capped a breakout season in which he finished with 130 tackles, placing him fourth in the LSU record books for single-season tackles.

No player since Bradie James in 2002 had finished with more.

With those kind of numbers, it’s no wonder Minter was voted team MVP by his LSU teammates.

“That guy, wow,” LSU offensive lineman Josh Dworaczyk said.

“I can’t say enough about what it’s been like to play with Kevin and have him as one of the leaders on defense.”

Returning to the Georgia Dome for the second time of his career, Minter looked like an even better version of the sophomore who helped LSU beat Georgia here in last year’s Southeastern Conference championship game.

Minter had 14 tackles against Clemson in the first half.

He may have gotten to 21 stops by game’s end — the school record, set by Al Richardson in 1982 — had he not missed a chunk of plays in the second half because of leg cramps.

It was the second time this season Minter flirted with breaking Richardson’s single-game record. He had 20 tackles, including 17 solo stops, in a loss at Florida.

“He was everything you want in a middle linebacker,” Dworaczyk said.

Having received his degree from LSU earlier this month, Minter has the option of returning for his senior season or declaring himself eligible for the NFL draft.

If he decides to move on, then his last game as a Tiger will have been a memorable one.

[URL]http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/4808679-123/kevin-minter-does-his-part[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

good article, hawaiin. Sounds like he has an attitude any defense would love.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska