Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This defense is better without Troy

Backup

User Info Menu

This defense is better without Troy

Lebeau calls a different game with Troy in there.

I have never been one to over-react. And I am not among those who want to see DL shown the door. He is as good as they come.

But this D plays better when Troy is out and DL calls a more conservative game.

Today was an aberration. Even the '70's Steelers had games like this, where seemingly everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

But the way DL calls a game without Troy in there, I doubt this D gives up a 17-play drive to start the second half.

Oddly enough, I don't blame Troy. He does what he does, including seemingly being the only one who can cause turnovers, but the game the defense plays when he is in there is different than the one they play when he is out, and the fact that they are not as effective without him falls on Lebeau's, and ultimately, Tomlin's shoulders.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    Lebeau calls a different game with Troy in there.

I have never been one to over-react. And I am not among those who want to see DL shown the door. He is as good as they come.

But this D plays better when Troy is out and DL calls a more conservative game.

Today was an aberration. Even the '70's Steelers had games like this, where seemingly everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

But the way DL calls a game without Troy in there, I doubt this D gives up a 17-play drive to start the second half.

Oddly enough, I don't blame Troy. He does what he does, including seemingly being the only one who can cause turnovers, but the game the defense plays when he is in there is different than the one they play when he is out, and the fact that they are not as effective without him falls on Lebeau's, and ultimately, Tomlin's shoulders.
    That was the picture painted today but I don't believe that's the case at all. Our corners didn't play a clean game, we weren't pressuring Rivers and our d-line seemed to be getting blown off the ball. It just wasn't a good game plain and simple and I think it has very little do with how Lebeau called the game. Why would he change it up that much anyway? We missed Ike today, end of story.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starting to wonder if Troy might not be better used in the FS role & have Clark play closer to the LOS like he did when Troy was out injured...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I actually think Lebeau calls an extremely vanilla game with Troy in there. All the other players have to play very vanilla and take no chances while Troy runs around and gets out of position. Cb's are more likely to play tight to the LOS and jam the WR or try and jump a route if they actually have S help instead of the SS being up at the LOS playing like he is a 5th LB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Starting to wonder if Troy might not be better used in the FS role & have Clark play closer to the LOS like he did when Troy was out injured...
    If we need are safeties playing at the LOS so much then we need a better front 7.

Legend

User Info Menu

LeBeau is very stubborn. He'll not change a game plan to save his life. He believes in his guys and his design to a fault. Sometimes it just doesnt work and today was that day. Ike was missed, but we still lose even with him in there.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If we need are safeties playing at the LOS so much then we need a better front 7.
    Would suggest they are missing 1 elite piece to the front 7 now that Hampton isn't dominant anymore.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Backup

User Info Menu

This Defense is better with Ike Taylor.. We took for granted his ability to tackle..

Backup

User Info Menu

This is an interesting topic...I think it will take some time to adjust the defense with Troy back there.

I think Clark is a better player right now. When Troy is playing it takes some of Clark's impact out of the equation.

But Troy is the man...lets just hope the defense can adjust and we start seeing the impact plays that Troy is capable of....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    This Defense is better with Ike Taylor.. We took for granted his ability to tackle..
    The subtraction of Ike Taylor was the difference today, not the addition of Troy.