Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck with BA's offense

Starter

User Info Menu

Andrew Luck with BA's offense

I had the Steeler game streamed on my Laptop and the Colts/Texans game on TV. Did anyone else see how quick many of his release were before JJ got to him?

Maybe because he is a rook but I always perceiced BA having a scheme that took a long time for the WR's to run their patterns. If you were to time his dropbacks it was not like the OL was giving him 5 seconds to throw.

I know Luck was aggresive and had as many Int's as TD's but it was impressive how in sync he was with the WR's timewise and he was not just managing the game.

He does have Wayne but the rest of the WR corp appeared to be very inexperienced but yet effective.

My point is I never saw BA's philosophy working at all with a rook QB and am trying to figure out what changed, if anything, for Luck to be more than just efficient.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BEN is a backyard QB. He's looking for things to open up downfield. Just the way he plays.

I've watched guys release in the flat with no one covering them and BEN will look at them and then look back downfield.
    Ben also loves the pump fake...he's a patient guy who loves high risk, high reward. That's just the way he is.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't underestimate the impact of where they went to college. Luck came from a Pro style offense on a major team with high level talent coached by a former NFL QB. Ben came from a second tier league with much less talent and he had to develop a "playground" style to make things happen.

Not surprising that Luck is a more successful "system QB"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe when BA gave Ben the freedom to choose the plays that he liked maybe it was a Ben who got rid of all the quick stuff.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Don't underestimate the impact of where they went to college. Luck came from a Pro style offense on a major team with high level talent coached by a former NFL QB. Ben came from a second tier league with much less talent and he had to develop a "playground" style to make things happen.

Not surprising that Luck is a more successful "system QB"
    Is Luck really a better system QB? He has a bunch of INT's, his QB rating and passing efficiency arent that great and he's benefiter from ST's TD's and a team running on pure emotion.

Ben is sandlot because that is what he prefers. When Ben checks down he is more successful.

I can admit I didnt expect Luck to will his team to the playoffs but we have to remember this Colts team is similar to the Steelerd team when Ben arrived. They arent used to losing and they tanked because they lost their franchise QB. This isnt the Browns or the Bills.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-01-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Maybe when BA gave Ben the freedom to choose the plays that he liked maybe it was a Ben who got rid of all the quick stuff.
    Ben loves going deep... it hurts his arm to throw short passes. Throwing touch passes isnt high on Ben's priority list and I dont think he practices these throws as much as he should nor does he respect the footwork and form needed to complete these passes.

Reminds me of Cam Newton. Not saying Cam is on Bens level but I watch Cam a ton and he can make all the throws in the 12 to 40 yard range on a rope but anything underneath or in the flat is a crap shoot.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    I had the Steeler game streamed on my Laptop and the Colts/Texans game on TV. Did anyone else see how quick many of his release were before JJ got to him?

Maybe because he is a rook but I always perceiced BA having a scheme that took a long time for the WR's to run their patterns. If you were to time his dropbacks it was not like the OL was giving him 5 seconds to throw.

I know Luck was aggresive and had as many Int's as TD's but it was impressive how in sync he was with the WR's timewise and he was not just managing the game.

He does have Wayne but the rest of the WR corp appeared to be very inexperienced but yet effective.

My point is I never saw BA's philosophy working at all with a rook QB and am trying to figure out what changed, if anything, for Luck to be more than just efficient.
    Your sample size is too small. It'd be like watching the Steelers play the Titans last season and praising Roethlisberger for his quick release. Many Colts fans began to complain about Andrew Luck "holding the ball too long" this season, and a savvy few have noticed the peculiarities of Bruce Arians' system, like the guy who drew this picture, for example:

Furthermore, Andrew Luck was not efficient. His passer rating for the season was less than one point higher than Roethlisberger's "motorcycle" passer rating in 2006, and he was one off the league lead in INTs. He'll get more efficient, no doubt, but it remains to be seen how much more because many Colts fans have lamented the fact that Arians' offense wastes the short field, just like we did when he was here.

By the way, isn't it ironic that Andrew Luck, considered by all draftniks to be an intelligent precision passer at Stanford, is now being compared to Brett Favre in the pros? The system has a lot more impact on QBs than people realize. Drew Brees didn't become a star until working with Sean Payton in New Orleans. When he was in San Diego with Marty Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron, he was considered to be good, but kind of an also-ran as well. That's no coincidence. Meanwhile, I don't ever remember Roethlisberger being in the discussion for the league MVP under Arians the way he was this season before his injury.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think there's a mental side to the game that may not be Ben's strength. A lot of other QBs seem to be more quick/decisive. It was real evident his first year after watching the way Tommy Maddox played. Granted, Maddox went downhill after his neck injury very quickly. But Maddox was the complete opposite QB to Ben in almost every way. And it stood out.

I hoped Ben would develop beyond the plays that breakdown. And he did. But not as much as a lot of other QBs. Ben still looks very raw and rookie like at times.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'll admit that I only seen three or so games with Luck so I was only going by what I saw against the Pats, Lions & Texans. I also have read that the Oline is superior to what BA/Ben had with the Steel.

That pic is amazing with no safety valve in the flat.

Great point about what Payton did to Brees career.

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Your sample size is too small. It'd be like watching the Steelers play the Titans last season and praising Roethlisberger for his quick release. Many Colts fans began to complain about Andrew Luck "holding the ball too long" this season, and a savvy few have noticed the peculiarities of Bruce Arians' system, like the guy who drew this picture, for example:

Furthermore, Andrew Luck was not efficient. His passer rating for the season was less than one point higher than Roethlisberger's "motorcycle" passer rating in 2006, and he was one off the league lead in INTs. He'll get more efficient, no doubt, but it remains to be seen how much more because many Colts fans have lamented the fact that Arians' offense wastes the short field, just like we did when he was here.

By the way, isn't it ironic that Andrew Luck, considered by all draftniks to be an intelligent precision passer at Stanford, is now being compared to Brett Favre in the pros? The system has a lot more impact on QBs than people realize. Drew Brees didn't become a star until working with Sean Payton in New Orleans. When he was in San Diego with Marty Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron, he was considered to be good, but kind of an also-ran as well. That's no coincidence. Meanwhile, I don't ever remember Roethlisberger being in the discussion for the league MVP under Arians the way he was this season before his injury.
    Last edited by jj28west; 01-01-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

I have never seen a live game so I could only see the small window on TV. I hear how Ben has a tendency to wait until the WR breaks open instead of throwing to a spot. This takes time but as we have seen Ben is willing to pay the price for this. Its easy for me to be critical but a 4 yard completion is still a positive.

Like you said it would be great if Ben practiced on this touch. I am in Pats country so I see this all the time with Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben loves going deep... it hurts his arm to throw short passes. Throwing touch passes isnt high on Ben's priority list and I dont think he practices these throws as much as he should nor does he respect the footwork and form needed to complete these passes.

Reminds me of Cam Newton. Not saying Cam is on Bens level but I watch Cam a ton and he can make all the throws in the 12 to 40 yard range on a rope but anything underneath or in the flat is a crap shoot.