Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Ta'amu apologizes for arrest

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Ta'amu apologizes for arrest

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-alameda-taamu-apologizes-for-arrest-110812[/url]

Steelers Ta'amu apologizes for arrest

UPDATED NOV 8, 2012 2:05 PM ET

PITTSBURGH (AP)
    Pittsburgh Steelers rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu apologized after waiving his right to a preliminary hearing on charges stemming from an alleged drunken-driving rampage.

TROUBLE WITH THE LAW
    Several NFL players have been arrested in 2012. Take a peek at who made the list.
    The 22-year-old fourth-round draft pick was arrested last month after police said he crashed into several other cars, then ran away from officers on the city's South Side, a neighborhood known for bars and night clubs.

After his brief appearance Thursday in Pittsburgh Municipal Court, Ta'amu told reporters, ''If there was any other word I would say it, but 'sorry' is the only word I can say right now.''

Ta'amu, of Kent, Wash., was driving an SUV the wrong way at about 2:30 a.m. on Oct. 14 when he fled from officers and crashed into four parked cars, injuring a woman, police said. He then tried to run away before he was restrained by four officers and arrested, authorities said.

He'll be formally arraigned Dec. 31 on felony charges of aggravated assault by vehicle and fleeing and eluding police, as well as misdemeanor charges including resisting arrest, escape and DUI. By waiving the hearing, Ta'amu acknowledged there was enough evidence for him to stand trial, although he could seek to resolve them through a plea bargain.

Three charges of felony aggravated assault - all for allegedly fighting with police - were withdrawn, but 18 other felony, misdemeanor and summary citations are now headed to Allegheny County Common Pleas Court.

Defense attorney Robert Del Greco said Ta'amu is trying to negotiate financial settlements to pay for the damage and injuries he caused.

''He is contrite. He has accepted responsibility and is in counseling'' for alcoholism, Del Greco told reporters.

Police have said that a breath test showed Ta'amu's blood-alcohol content was 0.196 percent, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

The Steelers suspended him for two games immediately after his arrest. He's back on the roster, though he has yet to play this season

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

This team need a little crazy on D. Too many choirboys.

Administrator

User Info Menu

"Three charges of felony aggravated assault - all for allegedly fighting with police - were withdrawn"

That's certainly good news. That would have been a lose-lose situation... fighting with police.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This team need a little crazy on D. Too many choirboys.
    Where is Ernie Holmes when you need him? No one on the DL in the 70's could be mistaken as "nice guys" on the football field. I remember a couple of occasions where Joe Greene grabbed offensive linemen after plays and punched them in the stomach. Dwight White was a nasty player too.

I'd love to see that kind of DL again.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Where is Ernie Holmes when you need him? No one on the DL in the 70's could be mistaken as "nice guys" on the football field. I remember a couple of occasions where Joe Greene grabbed offensive linemen after plays and punched them in the stomach. Dwight White was a nasty player too.

We seem to be getting some attitude on the OL. It'd be nice for the DL to follow suit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Come on, you'd be the first to complain about them being boneheads when they got called for unsportsmanlike conduct...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steel Curtain, The Fearsome Foursome, The Purple People Eaters, The Doomsday defense et al will never be allowed to exist in today's NFL. The players on those defense were just plain mean and nasty and tried to hurt people every time they tackled someone. I hope you're old enough to have seen them play, because it won't be allowed to happen in today's NFL.

Some of the players on those teams would be at a break even between their salaries and fines, Deacon Jones, Carl Eller, Joe Greene, Randy White how would they even be able to make a living today? They were just downright nasty and tried to inflict as much pain as possible.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

didn't Mean Joe try to re-enter a game with a screwdiver one time?

ahhh, the good ole days.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

ahhh, the good ole days.
    I don't remember that one but would be interested in the story.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

ahhh, the good ole days.
    I dunno about that one, but Ta'Amu may have tried to re-enter his car with a screwdriver this time.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.