Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David DeCastro focused on his second season

Legend

User Info Menu

David DeCastro focused on his second season

DeCastro focused on second season

Teresa Varley
    steelers.com

A year ago Steelers’ guard David DeCastro had just finished working out at the NFL Scouting Combine and his sights were set on his pro day at Stanford. It was all in preparation for the NFL Draft, when his football future would ultimately be determined after he was the Steelers top pick, taken with the 24th overall selection.

Fast forward to this year and DeCastro’s focus is still firmly set on one thing and one thing only - football. Behind him is everything that goes with being a rookie, from adjusting to new teammates, city and everything the NFL brings, and ahead of him is just continuing to grow as a player.

“There were a lot of new things, a lot of changes and adjustments last year,” said DeCastro. “It is different than college. You are living on your own and it’s a real job. There was a lot of growing. It’s a maturation process that you don’t think about until you get there. I am glad it’s out of the way and that I fully adjusted to it.

“Having a full offseason now is huge. There are a lot of things you don’t have to worry about, the little things you wonder what you should do here or there. You now know everybody in the building and all of your teammates. You just go out and play football and worry about what you have to do on the football field.”

He has already begun preparing for the 2013 season, spending a good portion of each day working out and getting in the best shape possible, with his goal to start of the season in a much better fashion than he did 2012.

Many had pegged DeCastro to be the team’s starting right guard when last season kicked off, but that never came to fruition after he suffered a severe knee injury in the team’s preseason win over the Buffalo Bills on Aug. 25 at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

“It was extremely frustrating,” said DeCastro, taking a brief break from working out. “It’s not how you want things to start. It’s not how you dream things up. But that is life. Things happen and you can’t explain it. It was a good learning experience. I learned a lot about myself. I am feeling good now and I am excited to be healthy going into the season.”

What DeCastro learned about himself was not how he could handle the physical test of battling the injury, but instead the mental test, the daily rehab sessions alone while teammates were practicing and preparing for games.

“You learn a lot when you are injured about your mental toughness and just being able to handle it all,” said DeCastro. “You have to control what you can control. When you are doing rehab it stinks in the beginning. It’s tough. Your leg doesn’t do the things that it used to. But it’s harder mentally than physically. It’s just learning to control that and taking it day by day. You get a lot stronger.”

What helped DeCastro through some of the tough times was fighting to get back on the field. He was placed on injured reserve/designated for return, which instead of ending his season allowed him the opportunity to work his way back. DeCastro was activated from the list on Nov. 26, and eventually started the last three games of the season at right guard.

“I didn’t know what they would do about putting me on injured reserve,” said DeCastro. “As a rookie you don’t say much. It was their decision and I was happy to do whatever they chose.

“I was definitely happy to get back out there. Obviously I have to get a lot better. The experience will hope going into the future.”

DeCastro is looking forward to offseason workouts and OTAs, when he will be able to work with new line coach Jack Bicknell, and is eager for the 2013 season to arrive.

“I am extremely anxious. I have a lot to prove,” said DeCastro. “That is why I am working out every day in the offseason training and preparing. It’s like any other offseason where I am trying to get in the best shape that I can and set myself up the best I can for the new season.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...c-b52b8f37e55a[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The injury he sustained in the preseason held the kid back, as most Steelers when healthy we'll see a big difference. His upside is really good and could man that position for the next ten years.
    Most Steelers fans are more concerned about the LT position, if we get good play there from Gilbert or Adams this line is young and could be pretty good.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Love this guy's attitude.
    Last edited by BigRob; 03-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Would like an OL early again.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

DeCAstro needs to get a lot better this season.....he was abused by Geno Smith who isnt going anywhere.....Ben was not holding the ball too long in those scenario..lol
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    DeCAstro needs to get a lot better this season.....he was abused by Geno Smith who isnt going anywhere.....Ben was not holding the ball too long in those scenario..lol
    I disagree. He would totally maul Geno Smith all day long.

As for Geno Atkins, stick your lover Chance Warmack in there for his 2nd NFL start against Atkins and see how he fares.
    Last edited by Shoe; 03-07-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I disagree. He would totally maul Geno Smith all day long.

As for Geno Atkins, stick your lover Chance Warmack in there for his 2nd NFL start against Atkins and see how he fares.
    hahaha...i am not a Chance Warmack lover...see my siggy...

And i would seriously love it if DeCastro can maul Geno Atkins but Rd 1 goes to Geno. DeCastro has yet to show he can dominate in NFL. Beachum has outplayed DeCastro in rookie season. Now deCastro was injured hence one should not be judgemental about him but as i said he needs to prove a lot next season.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have a quick question. Who has Geno Smith not abused in the NFL? Geno Smith is the best 4-3 defensive tackle in the game.

hahaha...i am not a Chance Warmack lover...see my siggy...

And i would seriously love it if DeCastro can maul Geno Atkins but Rd 1 goes to Geno. DeCastro has yet to show he can dominate in NFL. Beachum has outplayed DeCastro in rookie season. Now deCastro was injured hence one should not be judgemental about him but as i said he needs to prove a lot next season.
    Again, you expected a rookie coming off a severe knee injury and starting in his first few real games in the NFL to dominate the best 4-3 DT in the game?

Your looney.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I have a quick question. Who has Geno Smith not abused in the NFL? Geno Smith is the best 4-3 defensive tackle in the game.
    Geno Smith has not abused anyone in the NFL yet because he was still playing QB at W Virginia last season.

you're referring to Geno Atkins...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If Double D plays the entire 13 season, he'll be fine and maybe even playing at a Pro Bowl level, he's going to be good and we should count our lucky stars he dropped to us last year