Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRod Stephens-Howling visits Steelers

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Wasn't there a VT cornerback a few years back that many wanted to draft with a very similar name? I think the Pats drafted him. Wonder what ever happened to that guy....

I know it's off topic but when I saw the name that was the first person I thought of.
    Ras-I Dowling was the CB your thinking of. He's still on their roster I believe.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 04-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Decastro's Rookie contract was 7.5 million over 5 years or 1.5 million a year. Generally the contract is more back loaded but I don't have the exact years layed out in front of me. Dre Kirkpatrick, last year's 17th pick signed a 4 year 8.6 million deal or 2 million a year. With the rookie wage scale in place now you are not paying rookies insane amounts of money. I disagree with the old salary argument. I think it is apples to apples. Only difference is you have seen what Howlings can do in the NFL. Austin is more dynamic than Howlings.

Edit: Here is an article on how Kirkpatrick's number break down.

This is completely reasonable.
    The investment that I'm talking about on Austin is not money, rather it is the value of a first round pick. By bringing up money on Howling, I was referring to how disposable he would be due to little cap concern.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The investment that I'm talking about on Austin is not money, rather it is the value of a first round pick. By bringing up money on Howling, I was referring to how disposable he would be due to little cap concern.
    Understandable. I think based on history we will go D with the first overall pick. Historically we won't go OLB though. ILB, DL or S would be something we would consider. They do have a different formula for the first rounders usually. I agree with that. They want 20-21 year olds for the first rounders. Tavon does not fit that bill as he is 22 currently. I am not advocating that we take him. I am just irritated at the lack of respect that he receives. He is worth a first round pick. He is not a top 10 pick no. I would say he is a 20-32 pick. If we trade down would your value opinion change?
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This is a kid that's just not that good. He started to get some carries last year and barely got 3 yards per carry. On a team that had to throw because they stunk.

Maybe coming back home would help him out. Maybe a tiny back sneaking around behind DD and Adams would spring some big runs. Not too excited about him. But we'll probably sign him cause he's a local and not that good.

He's like the Matt Spaeth of RB signings.
    exactly.
    arizona had lousy rbs the last couple years and this guy couldnt seperate himself from them?
    PASS

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    exactly.
    arizona had lousy rbs the last couple years and this guy couldnt seperate himself from them?
    PASS
    whew... glad i'm not the only one thinking this... that must mean they'll sign him.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I actually think this could be a good signing. He brings less injury risk than Bradshaw and will probably come cheaper. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield and would give the team an experienced, solid kick returner. He would fit well in the 3rd down role. This team will carry 4 like always and I expect them to draft a back somewhere between rounds 2-4. So that would give them Rookie, Dwyer, Stephens-Howling, and either Redman or Batch battling for the last spot. That's not too shabby!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Understandable. I think based on history we will go D with the first overall pick. Historically we won't go OLB though. ILB, DL or S would be something we would consider. They do have a different formula for the first rounders usually. I agree with that. They want 20-21 year olds for the first rounders. Tavon does not fit that bill as he is 22 currently. I am not advocating that we take him. I am just irritated at the lack of respect that he receives. He is worth a first round pick. He is not a top 10 pick no. I would say he is a 20-32 pick. If we trade down would your value opinion change?
    To be honest I don't know how I feel about drafting someone of his size. Not because of the injury risk, but because I believe that the rules today allow the QB to lob it up and let his big receiver go get it. IMO it won Baltimore the SB. WR can push off with minimal risk while the phantom DB contact gets the O the same yardage as a completion. More of a philosophy than a comment on Austin himself.

Administrator

User Info Menu

What about Timmons? He wasn't drafted to be an ILB.. he was drafted to play OLB. Luckily, he was able to convert inside.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't have a problem if they do draft Austin because I think he is going to be a play maker at the next level. I would just rather have them draft somebody who is a better red zone target that posesses size and physicality. Austin is lacking in those 2 traits. He is probably more suited to being a big play guy from outside the 20 who can take what looks like a small gain and go house with it. That is worth having also.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I would prefer to add a change of pace back through the draft or sign Bradshaw, but Howling could contribute as a returner and change of pace back. He is not a difference maker but could be useful.