Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

His wingspan is ridiculous.

fwiw Calvin Johnson didnt do the bench press that i recall and randy moss did one and said "yeah im gonna go out and catch the ball"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Execs might know what they are doing but we don't. Basic laws of physics at work here. Force times distance=work. Not all bench presses are equal. The bench press is certainly not meaningless but you do have to take results into context and see how powerfully someone plays...ie do they use leverage...do they have good functional strength on the football field. I haven't seen Benjamin play, but I will say just based upon the highlights his strength stuck out to me. He looked very physical.
    The article was comparing all WRs so the bench press was among equals. As far as execs knowing what they are doing but we don't, then why discuss anything at all? Obviously, they know everything and we know nothing so no need for a message board. I've heard football people discuss every aspect of the combine from strength to speed. So it is obviously something they take into consideration. Which is exactly what I said. I said it was a piece to the puzzle. Which is exactly what it is.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The article was comparing all WRs so the bench press was among equals. As far as execs knowing what they are doing but we don't, then why discuss anything at all? Obviously, they know everything and we know nothing so no need for a message board. I've heard football people discuss every aspect of the combine from strength to speed. So it is obviously something they take into consideration. Which is exactly what I said. I said it was a piece to the puzzle. Which is exactly what it is.
    Just because they are WR doesn't mean the amount of bench work is equal. Force times distance (arm length)=work. Are you arguing that someone who has short arms is equivalent to those who have long arms? I would call equivalent those with similar arm lengths AND at the same position. So comparing Evans to Benjamin would be a better comparison....than just comparing WR to WR.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Just because they are WR doesn't mean the amount of bench work is equal. Force times distance (arm length)=work. Are you arguing that someone who has short arms is equivalent to those who have long arms? I would call equivalent those with similar arm lengths AND at the same position. So comparing Evans to Benjamin would be a better comparison....than just comparing WR to WR.
    No, I've weight lifted for years so I know the metrics of it. However, it isn't just about arm length. Evans beats Ben in every category. He is faster, quicker, and can jumper higher and further. Benjamin also has 10lbs on Evans. So I see Benjamin as a WR that is not fast, strong, or quick. It's part of the puzzle. Again, ever NFL person uses these as such.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No, I've weight lifted for years so I know the metrics of it. However, it isn't just about arm length. Evans beats Ben in every category. He is faster, quicker, and can jumper higher and further. Benjamin also has 10lbs on Evans. So I see Benjamin as a WR that is not fast, strong, or quick. It's part of the puzzle. Again, ever NFL person uses these as such.
    You are right in that it's a part of the puzzle. I'm sure that Mike Wallace had better measurables than Jerry Rice or Steve Largent. It's all going to depend on what the team feels is a fit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Me too Vader. I've worked out pretty religiously since the early 90's. In my prime I was hitting right at 400 for a one rep max on the flat bench. Not bad for a guy who was 6-4" with long arms..lol. Could also run a 6 minute mile at that time too..lol. Those were the days.

The bench is presently still at 350ish... but the mile has dropped from 6 to 10 lol

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL Draft: Matt Miller's Latest Scouting Notebook

By Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer Apr 4, 2014

Risers:

WR Davante Adams, Fresno State

Want the next Michael Crabtree? That's who Davante Adams compares to. The Fresno State wide receiver has strong hands, very good jumping ability and is faster than expected. He also brings considerable upside as a redshirt sophomore entry into the draft.

Current ranking: No. 29

WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

Evans has long been in my top 10, but the more I watch his game (and focus on him and not Manziel), the more I like. Evans has big, strong hands, and while he's not super fluid in space or overly quick, his straight-line speed is good enough to separate from defenders. Combine the hand strength, speed and size and you have one heck of a nightmare for defenders.

Current ranking: No. 7

Fallers:

WR Allen Robinson, Penn State

A deep overall wide receiver crop moves Allen Robinson down after further review. While Robinson does show good hands and over-the-middle ability, he lacks the top-end speed to consistently pull away from defenses. With so many higher-level athletes at the position also in this class, Robinson sees his stock fall slightly.

Current ranking: No. 56 overall

WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

Matthews, like Robinson, moves down this week by virtue of the overall talent in this year's corps of wide receivers. Matthews isn't a top-flight runner and doesn't make great plays after the catch, which can be a concern given the many players in this class who do. Matthews looks to have a solid career, but he's more limited than the players listed ahead of him.

Current ranking: No. 64

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2015395-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-latest-scouting-notebook[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The WR pool in this year's draft is so deep that choosing one in the 1st round over other areas of need is inadvisable. Players like Moncrief, Bryant, Latimer & Janis are all good options & will be available later in the draft though Moncrief may creep eventually into the 2nd & Latimer's pro-day may push him into the 3rd.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    The WR pool in this year's draft is so deep that choosing one in the 1st round over other areas of need is inadvisable. Players like Moncrief, Bryant, Latimer & Janis are all good options & will be available later in the draft though Moncrief may creep eventually into the 2nd & Latimer's pro-day may push him into the 3rd.
    NOT busting on you sir. I just need to say that it does not of course matter what rd these guys are taken in any of them could end up a bust like Sweed.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    But it isn't just deep it has the most quality. I want the BPA. If you start chasing needs then you'll never get the best talent. Right now Evans is #1 on my board. Having a run on WRs late can also push down talent in other positions. IF they get the best WR then in later rounds they can get a top CB, Lb, OL, DL etc.. because the other teams are drafting WRs, then it's a good draft.