Thread: W Parker/J Porter/A Smith/M Smith to retire before Latrobe High night practice tonite

Legend

User Info Menu

W Parker/J Porter/A Smith/M Smith to retire before Latrobe High night practice tonite

Four players to “retire” as Steelers before Friday night practice
    Posted by Josh Alper on August 3, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT

The Steelers are putting a little twist on the former player coming back to sign a one-day contract so he can retire as a member of his old team theme.

They’re going to have four former Steelers come back to “retire” as members of the team at their Friday night public practice. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Willie Parker, Joey Porter, Aaron Smith and Marvel Smith will take a final lap in front of the fans.

The quotation marks are necessary because they aren’t going through the motions of signing the one-day contracts, but just showing up to announce the end of their playing careers. Two of the players, Parker and Marvel Smith, fall into the category of whether a formal announcement is even necessary. Parker last played for the team in 2009, and recently kicked off a collegiate coaching career, while Smith last set foot on an NFL field in 2008. Porter and Aaron Smith both played last season, but injuries helped close the book on their playing days.

There are moments when the retiring as a member of a team thing feels ridiculous, but this is an appealing approach to it. The fans have plenty of memories of these players and inviting them to share in the moment is a win for both sides.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/03/four-players-to-retire-as-steelers-before-friday-night-practice/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Very cool...wish I could be there tonight!

Legend

User Info Menu

Class act on the part of the organization. This is way cooler than standing in front of a bunch of reporters. I hope the fans go insane for these guys and thank them for the millions of Steelers fans who can't be there.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    Very cool...wish I could be there tonight!
    Agreed. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I lived closer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What's up with Farrior?? Is he retiring?? Is he trying to catch on with another team??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    What's up with Farrior?? Is he retiring?? Is he trying to catch on with another team??
    Maybe next year they can have Farrior, Ward, Faneca, and Hokie at the Latrobe night practice (or something like that)...make a tradition out of it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is going to pump up the crowd and the players who represent them today. Classy org through and through.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...