Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: that sure sucked

Legend

User Info Menu

There will be a select group of posters that will be stoically against this pick, or any Defensive pick, simply because they apparently never start.

Pretty sure the bulk of posters will agree that Jones presents great value, much like DeCastro did last season. Obviously he checks out medically, there are no real character concerns, and quite frankly- his college career suggests he is one of the most dominant defenders entering the NFL in years.

In Feb, he was a top 5 pick. After running in his undies, he started falling. If the theory stands that you must be wary the workout warrior who rises on draft day, the reverse theory must also stand- don't disregard the footballer who doesn't run as fast as some.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Drafting to fill a half-season need rather than a guy who has a knack for splash plays (sacks, TFL's, FF's) for a defense that has been sorely lacking them of late...that's the definition of short-sighted.

but having a 2nd round pick sit on the bench for years waiting for a chance to start and drafting his replacement...is

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    but having a 2nd round pick sit on the bench for years waiting for a chance to start and drafting his replacement...is
    You can never have too many pass rushers. The Giants didn't care that they already had Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck (who are both WAY more accomplished in this league than Jason Worilds) when they had an opportunity to add Jason Pierre-Paul to their team.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

You can never have too many pass rushers. The Giants didn't care that they already had Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck (who are both WAY more accomplished in this league than Jason Worilds) when they had an opportunity to add Jason Pierre-Paul to their team.

not a good comparison cause they move tuck around and had all 3 on the field when it is time to "rush the passer'.

are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

and FTR, im not against Jones the player. but im freakin pissed about (sort of) wasting a mid 2nd round pick on worldis a few years ago when the team was championship caliber.

Legend

User Info Menu

not a good comparison cause they move tuck around and had all 3 on the field when it is time to "rush the passer'.

are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

and FTR, im not against Jones the player. but im freakin pissed about (sort of) wasting a mid 2nd round pick on worldis a few years ago when the team was championship caliber.
    Who's to say that Jones couldn't also move around whereever in order to get all of your best pass rushers on the field together in nickel/dime passing situations.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Because the best defensive player ( a top 5 talent), dropped to them. You run to the podium when that happens. Entertaining is for the unsure. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Early in Feb I posted some pics of players and called the thread an unscientific way of picking players. (This was done strictly from the pics and not knowing who the players were)

Turns out Jarvis Jones was one a lot of fans liked and would have drafted just from his pic.

(My comment then was) "No reason to not draft any of these players. I kind of like the look of #2 in row 2. He looks like he would mean business on the field."

Well, #2 was Jarvis Jones.

But in recent weeks he was not my pick in rd1. I was going with the CB Xavier Rhodes. But, nonetheless since Rhodes, Eifert, Trufant, Hopkins, Cordy, plus a few others were still there when TS picked. 100% support.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who's to say that Jones couldn't also move around whereever in order to get all of your best pass rushers on the field together in nickel/dime passing situations.
    i'd say there's no chance of all 3 being on the field at the same time

and to go back to you're comparison. Osi was on his last legs and the giants were drafting his replacement with JPP.

worldis was supposed to be that replacement for harrison but now they've taken another OLB with a 1st round pick without him even getting a legitimate shot as the starter

Legend

User Info Menu

i'd say there's no chance of all 3 being on the field at the same time

and to go back to you're comparison. Osi was on his last legs and the giants were drafting his replacement with JPP.

worldis was supposed to be that replacement for harrison but now they've taken another OLB with a 1st round pick without him even getting a legitimate shot as the starter
    We drafted the best player available. If Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel dropped into our laps instead of Jones, would you have not drafted one of those guys because then you'd be saying that we wasted a 2nd round pick used on Gilbert and Adams?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why the hell do the steelers have to use 1 minute of their time before turning in their pick?
    1 pick later and dallas trades back. why the f dont the steelers use that time to entertain offers?
    Not surprised at all that we took no time before grabbing Jones
    with reference to the (then current news) Jennefer Lawrence fall at the an awards show
    I Posted this over a month ago:

Steelers will pull one of these, running to the podium if Jones is there:

Attached Thumbnails[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=773&d=1362167006"][/URL]
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-26-2013 at 02:01 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

DL's most effective pass rush often relies on lining up Timmy or Troy outside of Harrison or Woodley.

DL often allows Troy, Timmy, and Keisel the freedom to roam in the defense. What would it hurt to maybe use Jarvis in the same fashion and put him on the field and give him the choice to overload the right or left.