Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jason Worlids next man up

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Pretty sure his intent is that if the Steelers feel like they NEED Harrison back and play him in front of Worilds, that Worilds should be cut...meaning, the Steelers don't trust Worilds enough to play him, so cut him.
    except... would you have suggested that Cowher cut Harrison because he kept Porter? Cuz he woulda kept porter if he was still coaching that year instead of Tomlin... I get your logic, but, it's not necessarily the right call...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Here is a fact:

James Harrison had less of an impact on the field prior to taking over for Joey Porter than Worilds does for taking over for James Harrison.

Harrison - [URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/6314/index.html[/URL]

Worilds - [URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/24027/index.html[/URL]

Harrison was also 3 years older when he took over the starting spot. I'm pretty comfortable with Worilds abilities. But I'm not super comfortable with his ability to stay healthy.

That is why we should sign Victor Butler.
    Preaching to the choir on this one.

In 2007: James Who? An undrafted 29 year old with 8 starts & 4 sacks in 4 years penciled in to replace Porter.
    In 2013: Jason Who? A 25 year old 2nd round pick with 10 starts & 10 sacks in 3 years penciled in to replace Harrison.

There was NO indication Harrison would be special before he hit the field. I'm not just talking stats...I have seen every game since I was 8. You can say the same for Worilds. That doesn't mean it will turn out the same...But there isn't any less of a chance that it could.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Preaching to the choir on this one.

In 2007: James Who? An undrafted 29 year old with 8 starts & 4 sacks in 4 years penciled in to replace Porter.
    In 2013: Jason Who? A 25 year old 2nd round pick with 10 starts & 10 sacks in 3 years penciled in to replace Harrison.

There was NO indication Harrison would be special before he hit the field. I'm not just talking stats...I have seen every game since I was 8. You can say the same for Worilds. That doesn't mean it will turn out the same...But there isn't any less of a chance that it could.
    Ezactly. The Worilds hate is all because we could have gotten a Penn State player instead. He has performed better than Harrison did and has a better resume than when they handed the job to Harrison from Porter. The only reason anyone knew Harrison was because he body slammed the Browns fans so he became a You-tube cult hero.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Worilds excited about challenge ahead

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

aaJason Worilds was going through his normal Saturday routine, a workout at an Atlanta gym, when he noticed his phone light up with a text message from a friend. He took a quick look, but even after reading it didn’t know what his friend meant. When his workout wrapped up, Worilds went back to the phone and this time instead of just one message, his phone had blown up with texts and voice mails, all telling him the same thing.

The Steelers had just released James Harrison.

Suddenly, Jason Worilds became the presumptive starter for the Steelers at right outside linebacker, a reality that didn’t even hit him while he was retrieving those messages.

“I don’t know if that was even my initial thought when I picked up the phone and read those texts, that it hit me that way,” said Worilds. “But it does make sense that that’s how it would play out.

“It’s definitely exciting for me personally, but it’s tough, too. A lot of people don’t understand about the friendships, there are people you get close with in training camp and during the season and they could be gone the next year. While it’s a great opportunity for me, James is a friend I saw day in and day out. It’s bittersweet in that regard.”

There isn’t much time for sentiment or reminiscing, though. Worilds must utilize every moment of this offseason to prepare, and even something as simple as that has eluded him in each of the previous three. As a rookie in 2010 he was just getting his feet wet. In 2011, there was the lockout. Last year it was a wrist injury preventing him from participating.

“This will be his first full offseason to participate, so this will be a big year for him,” said linebackers coach Keith Butler. “It will be real big for him. Now he knows what we’re trying to do defensively, so this will help him as far as advancing and getting better.”

Worilds, who started two games at left outside linebacker last year when LaMarr Woodley was injured, has seen his playing time in the defense gradually increase, but always for medical reasons. This time it’s different.

“My main focus has always been to get better every time I step on the field,” said Worilds. “I’m more comfortable in my assignments, so I’m not just trying not to make a mistake, but to go and make a play. I have been fortunate enough to transition easily from defensive end in college to an outside linebacker. You have to know your position, where to be and how it affects the man next to you. You have to know how important it is for you to do your job and the way you do your job. I want to do the right things, at the right time and the right way.”

Butler said he would be comfortable with Worilds at right outside linebacker, especially with the experience he now has under his belt.

“I might not have been comfortable a couple of years ago,” said Butler. “but I tell them all this: the more they do and the more they do right, the more confidence I get in them. I’m not going to play them unless I have confidence in them, and their teammates do, too. He reacts and lines up correctly and for the most part does what we ask him to do. He gives us a sense that he has heard what I have told him.

“He can handle the challenge. He wouldn’t have made it this far if he couldn’t. He has had two Pro Bowlers in front of him. Now he doesn’t, and he has the opportunity to show that he belongs. It’s a great opportunity for him, one that he has been wanting. He has verbalized that to me several times. He felt like he should be playing more, and I don’t want them if they don’t all feel like they should be playing. If I was them I would feel like I should be playing if I’m at this level.

“They’re all anxious to play and a lot of times they aren’t ready. Jason is ready. He is ready to play. He has waited his time, done what he has had to do in terms of learning the defense. He feels like he is ready to play, and I feel that way, too.”

Butler has seen the progress and believes Worilds’ speed is definitely his best asset. It is that speed and his explosion that will get Worilds to the quarterback.

“It’s going to be a little harder to (block) him when he’s coming off the edge,” said Butler. “Hopefully he can get some guys off balance then take them back to the quarterback if they try to block him.”

Worilds knows the expectations are high, especially at a position that has been manned by Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, and James Harrison.

“I knew there were some great ones to play the outside linebacker position, but I wasn’t aware all those guys were on the right side,” said Worilds. “It’s a great tradition.

“I’m at one of the most prestigious positions and places in the NFL, if not the most prestigious, playing linebacker for the Steelers. This is where you want to be if you’re a linebacker. It’s great to play linebacker for this team. It’s the place to play. Growing up as a linebacker, this is where you want to be.

While he respects those who came before him on the right side, Worilds knows better than to try to copy them. He’s a different player with his own style, and he’s comfortable with that.

“I’m not James Harrison,” said Worilds. “He was a great player. But people are going to see Jason Worilds out there. They are going to see effort and fire.”

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Worilds prepared for heavy lifting

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Jason Worilds

Position: Linebacker

School: Virginia Tech (52nd overall round pick, 2010)

2012: 27 tackles 5 sacks

2011: 37 tackles, 3 sacks

2010: 2 tackles, 2 sacks

Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds has spent the offseason preparing to prove he is ready to assume the starting job at right outside linebacker.

Worilds, a second-round draft pick in 2010, is considered the likely candidate to replace former All-Pro James Harrison, who was released earlier this year after nearly a decade with the Steelers.

Worilds has had chances to audition for the position the past three seasons. Even though he put together perhaps his best season in 2012, the Virginia Tech product was still slowed some by nagging injuries that have dogged him throughout his career.

Worilds was limited some last year by a wrist injury. Also, he worked his way back from an injured quadriceps muscle in 2011 and played sparingly during his rookie year because of knee and shoulder injuries.

“With the injuries, you can't always put your best foot forward physically,” said Worilds, who expects to participate in May's OTAs at the team's training facility. “If you can be where you need to be physically and put yourself in the right place, it can negate a lot of mistakes.

“It's important for me to stay mentally sharp with my game. I played with some pain the last two seasons, but that's not unusual in the NFL.

“It was tough for me because I know I can do more,” Worilds said. “This game is one in which you have be at 100 percent physically fit to do the things you know you can do.”

Of course, part of Harrison's problem the past two seasons was constant injuries, including neck, hip, knee and hamstring ailments. The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year missed seven games during the 2011 and '12 seasons because of injuries.

Even with the absence of Harrison, the Steelers' linebacker corps remains the anchor of a defense that last year was ranked first in the NFL. Harrison's departure leaves a potential void in the pass rush. Harrison and linebacker Lawrence Timmons had a team-high six sacks, while Worilds had a career-best five.

“Everybody collectively will be better,” Worilds said. “There is better chemistry. I'm excited about what this defense can achieve this season.”

Already, the Steelers have resigned veteran Larry Foote and oft-injured Stevenson Sylvester, who was the 166th overall pick in the Steelers' 2010 draft class that included Worilds.

“With everything going on, I've been working hard to make it to camp in the best shape of my career,” Worilds said. “I know how hard it is to earn a job in this league and to keep your job.

“I learned in my first three years it doesn't get any easier. I know how hard James worked.

“I haven't thought much about getting a starting role, but we all work for that,” he added. “It's a great opportunity, and it puts more on my plate. It's something I've worked on since day one of getting to Pittsburgh. I haven't stepped on the field yet, but I realize what's ahead of me.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/college/ncaa/3824549-74/worilds-steelers-harrison#ixzz2QdtIaFbY[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I think there's a lot of similarities in the start of Worilds and Sanders' careers with injury and talent in front of them slowing them down. Then they get the shortened offseason because of the labor issue and it hampers their development. Now is their time. I think they're the 2 most intriguing players heading into the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems the comments from Butler echo the Dick LeBeau's methods of developing players. So those that are hoping change will happen when DL retires are probably going to be disappointed. Their defensive development methods work and have proven themselves over many years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers’ Worilds prepared for heavy lifting

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Jason Worilds

Position: Linebacker

School: Virginia Tech (52nd overall round pick, 2010)

2012: 27 tackles 5 sacks

2011: 37 tackles, 3 sacks

2010: 2 tackles, 2 sacks

Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds has spent the offseason preparing to prove he is ready to assume the starting job at right outside linebacker.

Worilds, a second-round draft pick in 2010, is considered the likely candidate to replace former All-Pro James Harrison, who was released earlier this year after nearly a decade with the Steelers.

Worilds has had chances to audition for the position the past three seasons. Even though he put together perhaps his best season in 2012, the Virginia Tech product was still slowed some by nagging injuries that have dogged him throughout his career.

Worilds was limited some last year by a wrist injury. Also, he worked his way back from an injured quadriceps muscle in 2011 and played sparingly during his rookie year because of knee and shoulder injuries.

“With the injuries, you can't always put your best foot forward physically,” said Worilds, who expects to participate in May's OTAs at the team's training facility. “If you can be where you need to be physically and put yourself in the right place, it can negate a lot of mistakes.

“It's important for me to stay mentally sharp with my game. I played with some pain the last two seasons, but that's not unusual in the NFL.

“It was tough for me because I know I can do more,” Worilds said. “This game is one in which you have be at 100 percent physically fit to do the things you know you can do.”

Of course, part of Harrison's problem the past two seasons was constant injuries, including neck, hip, knee and hamstring ailments. The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year missed seven games during the 2011 and '12 seasons because of injuries.

Even with the absence of Harrison, the Steelers' linebacker corps remains the anchor of a defense that last year was ranked first in the NFL. Harrison's departure leaves a potential void in the pass rush. Harrison and linebacker Lawrence Timmons had a team-high six sacks, while Worilds had a career-best five.

“Everybody collectively will be better,” Worilds said. “There is better chemistry. I'm excited about what this defense can achieve this season.”

Already, the Steelers have resigned veteran Larry Foote and oft-injured Stevenson Sylvester, who was the 166th overall pick in the Steelers' 2010 draft class that included Worilds.

“With everything going on, I've been working hard to make it to camp in the best shape of my career,” Worilds said. “I know how hard it is to earn a job in this league and to keep your job.

“I learned in my first three years it doesn't get any easier. I know how hard James worked.

“I haven't thought much about getting a starting role, but we all work for that,” he added. “It's a great opportunity, and it puts more on my plate. It's something I've worked on since day one of getting to Pittsburgh. I haven't stepped on the field yet, but I realize what's ahead of me.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/college/ncaa/3824549-74/worilds-steelers-harrison#ixzz2QdtIaFbY[/URL]
    I have more faith in Worilds than I do in Woodley. Worilds seems to understand what the opportunity he has is all about and is taking the necessary actions to capitalize on it. IMO Woodley is on cruise control after his big contract.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"