Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the 2013 Draft be the best of the decade?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I second the Bell pick. I'm not saying he will be a superstar. His positives come from his versatility, and his being a tough competitor. I like the fact that the team had him on their radar all along, and that they were active in targeting him on Draft Day. I think they think they know something others don't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think the Bell pick is the most intriguing. Here is a guy who was the only focal point in an otherwise impotent offense and he still managed to go for 1,300 and 21 TDs in his senior season. I didn't watch any of his games, but most highlights that I've seen show him facing stacked fronts. That reminds me of Bettis in the fourth Q of a winning game. You knew he was getting the ball, he knew it, the opposing D knew it, even the guy selling hot dogs knew that Bettis was getting the ball, yet he still was able to grind out the yardage.
    If he can be a consistent 1300 yard per year guy with 20-30 catches per year in the NFL then his pick is a successful one. As much as replicating his senior year total of 21 TDs per year would be great it is unrealistic, however 10-12 per year would be solid.

However, his success is all tied to the OL. If he is getting hit in the backfield on a frequent basis he will be viewed as a bad pick even though the OL remains the problem.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Jones is far from a sure thing. Many other talented players have been laid low by LeBeau's unnecessarily complex defense taking years to even see the field.

I think Bell, Wheaton and Thomas will prove to be the best and most productive memebers of this draft early in their careers. they will have success and contribute, although being on the defensive side of the ball Thomas won't be trusted for a couple of years.

Hawthorne is a wildcard. Could be a big success or could be the next Ricardo Coclough.

I think Landry Jones is a steal. He needs a season or two of development but he has the tools and the experience at a major college level. Refine his mechanics and let him learn and I think he is a solid Pro. Personally, I think Haley's offense is perfect for him emphasizing short to mid range passing.
    How many OLBs struggled with the Steelers and thrived elsewhere? The only one that I can think of is Vrabel, and that was in large part because he was moved back and forth between OLB and DE early in his career.

If Lebeau holds players back, as you contend, kindly site the examples.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When looking at this draft from top to bottom, it just gets me excited. I see 5 quality starters coming out of this draft with 2-4 possible Pro Bowl type talents.

1) Jarvis Jones- if he stays healthy does anyone doubt this guy will posts double digit sacks every year?
    2) Le'Veon Bell-I rarely get this excited about a player we draft. But, having watched a lot of Bell I know how big of a thorn in the side of a D he is. Behind a questionable MSU OL, he was the focal piece of the O, and dominated Ds who would creep 8-9 in the box including my beloved Buckeyes. If he gets the carries I believe he gets R.O.Y.
    3) Markus Wheaton-Sudden explosive speed who is more refined than Wallace at this stage in their careers. He gets PT this year, and becomes a force by next.
    4) Shamarko Thomas-He brings intimidation back into the secondary. He will have WRs heads on a pivot. Ryan Clark+...and that isn't bad for a 4th round pick.
    5) Terry Hawthorne-Despite being a Big Ten fan...I never pitched the guy but I like what I read...could be a real steal.
    6) Landry Jones- all the tools, makes all the throws, knows the game.

Discuss.
    The way you feel about this year's draft is the way I felt about last year's. Little did I know that 2 of the top 3 picks wouldn't make it out of training camp without severe injuries, another got drunk and played demolition derby on the streets of Pittsburgh and a fourth decides he can bat around a lady. It's too early to evaluate the 2012 class but so far I am very disappointed.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Seems to my recollection that Shawn's player evals have been solid through the years....
    Dang this was such a good thread right up until that.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Dang, gotta get off these happy pills.

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL....Nice one Dee.....wait.

Noboody called our draft better than you.
    You of all people need to lead the cheers on Shawn's comments.

If Dukie Boy is right about Shawn's skill at evaluating talent and is RIGHT about this draft you sir are genius.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think the Bell pick is the most intriguing. Here is a guy who was the only focal point in an otherwise impotent offense and he still managed to go for 1,300 and 21 TDs in his senior season. I didn't watch any of his games, but most highlights that I've seen show him facing stacked fronts. That reminds me of Bettis in the fourth Q of a winning game. You knew he was getting the ball, he knew it, the opposing D knew it, even the guy selling hot dogs knew that Bettis was getting the ball, yet he still was able to grind out the yardage.
    Thats right. Everyone knew he was getting the ball...and yet he still found ways to get yards. While he doesn't have the brute power of Bettis, he always seems to find positive yardage...always fighting for one or two when other backs would take a loss. 8 in the box, questionable OL and still got it done.

Legend

User Info Menu

No doubt...time to get Dukie's meds adjusted.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One of my all time favorite drafts, if not THE most favorite!

I loved the Jones pick (wanted him at #17). Can't wait to see this kid cause some damage to his opponents! Already has become my third favorite Steeler, favorite linebacker ever (already has passed up LaMarr Woodley..a former Wolverine!!)!

Wanted Bell in the third round, but later realized that it was a safe bet to get Bell in the second (running backs went fast right after our pick). Could be the starter soon..no later by midseason. Dwyer will probably be the odd man out.

Wheaton I'm still meh about...but we did need more WRs. Hopefully Antonio Brown will still be the star WR/#1.

Still meh on Thomas...but we needed to find Polamalu's or Clark's replacement sooner or later. Thomas is a hard hitter, which I like in our safeties.

Loved the Hawthorne pick. Had him in the 6th (or was it the 4th)..either way, still wanted Hawthorne. A true ball hawk and not afraid to crack someone.

Was wanting Tyler Bray...only because I didn't think Landry Jones would have been there for us when we drafted him in the fourth. Hopefully he'll be our franchise quarterback after Roethlisberger retires in a few years. Don't want that to happen right now, though.

Justin Brown..just a filler and depth. More than likely practice squad.

Vince Williams...didn't really know much about him, but after seeing highlights..could be Foote's replacement. (I've heard and read A LOT of positive things about this kid and how this was some excellent value where we got him). Two Seminole alumni at middle linebacker? I'd take it!

Nick Williams..mostly depth. Kid seems good value at our seventh round pick..however..Te'amu, McClendon and Fangupo are ahead of him. More than likely practice squad for a few years.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa