Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin: "It’s going to be business as usual"

Legend

User Info Menu

What else can Tomlin say? I kinda appreciate the fact that in this complete and utter chaos, Tomlin stays steady.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder what other coaches might do in this situation, let it ride or stir it up in practice? Every team understands that at this point there aren't any magic bullets from a personnel standpoint, but do you continue to do the same thing hoping for different results? Isn't that the very definition of insane?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I wonder what other coaches might do in this situation, let it ride or stir it up in practice? Every team understands that at this point there aren't any magic bullets from a personnel standpoint, but do you continue to do the same thing hoping for different results? Isn't that the very definition of insane?

Pappy
    If you'll recall, Tomlin kicked the intensity up a notch or two during training camp. That didn't seem to help. It was tried.

So, now he can freak out...or, as Flippy pointed out, remain steady and expect his players to perform better on Sunday...

I think the Steelers have figured out that things are not good right now...they don't need Tomlin to tell the media how he's going to whup them into shape to motivate them...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I believe the Steelers win this game handily. I dont see them turning it over Sunday. Im sure theres a little embarrasment after the Bears game. They can run on the Vikes. They can throw on the Vikes. I think defensively we can contain AP. I actually think we win somewhat easily. Ill say 23-13
    Bernard ran on this D, Forte ran on this D, AP will likely shred this D for 150.

Legend

User Info Menu

Post news articles all over the locker room. Steelers are done...they are terrible...all the media garbage about them. Let em read them. If it breaks their spirit...it wasn't meant to be and that should Tomlin a little something. If it lights em up...maybe it's the kick in the gut they need. With guys like this you have to insult their pride. They have to get angry...angry like Brown got angry against the Bears.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What else can Tomlin say? I kinda appreciate the fact that in this complete and utter chaos, Tomlin stays steady.
    He could also say, that jobs are open and there for the taking right now and if you perform in practice you will get on the field. It just seems that he's going to dance with Adams regardless of whether or not Gilbert or Beachum is outplaying him, for example.

If, as the Steelers seem to believe, that there isn't a dearth of talent on this team, then all jobs should be up for the taking and getting the best 22 players on the field should be the priority before the season is over before it gets started.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We will fumble at least once, and Ben will throw at least one pick if not two.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Its hard to disagree with you papilon. Ill say this though. I watched the Browns Vikings game last week. I can honestly say. If we dont beat this Vikings team, who are we gonna beat?
    ourselves... ..

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I believe the Steelers win this game handily. I dont see them turning it over Sunday. Im sure theres a little embarrasment after the Bears game. They can run on the Vikes. They can throw on the Vikes. I think defensively we can contain AP. I actually think we win somewhat easily. Ill say 23-13
    Do you realize that we are a 1 point dog to Minnesota? That is a bit troubling if you ask me. Why would we be made a +1 to another 0-3 team?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He could also say, that jobs are open and there for the taking right now and if you perform in practice you will get on the field. It just seems that he's going to dance with Adams regardless of whether or not Gilbert or Beachum is outplaying him, for example.

If, as the Steelers seem to believe, that there isn't a dearth of talent on this team, then all jobs should be up for the taking and getting the best 22 players on the field should be the priority before the season is over before it gets started.

Pappy
    Beachum played some snaps for both Adams and Gilbert. I'm sure Tomlin and co are as frustrated with our tackles as anyone. They're letting a lot of guys get snaps on the DLine and that seems to be an ongoing open competition. Wilson and Williams are swapping a lot of plays. They're trying 3 and 4 safeties in our nickle and dime.

There's guys all over the field on this roster that they aren't happy with. And I see them as trying a lot of different things to try and kick start what they have here.

As lopsided as the score was last week, I thought in general they had a good game plan against Chicago. The Oline was starting to make some holes in the running game when they were on the same page. Other times, they seemed to have no idea who was coming and who to block. I think Heath added a new dimension to the O even in his limited play.

They played great on D minus a couple of mistakes that cost them. But I think they're all things that can be fixed. And ST has become the team's strength. When was the last time that ever happened?

There's a lot of young guys in the mix and they definitely have to get better. But I think overall there's been a general progression since wekk 1. No need to panic. Just keep improving and see where we can take this. We have the roster and players we have so let's just keep our heads down and keep working at it. Some will rise. Others will fail. But keep on keeping on while there's still a chance to improve and make the playoffs.

As much as I'd like to panic. We still control our own destiny at this point.