Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Run

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In our 6 losses, we've given up over 100 yards rushing. In our 2 wins, we've given up less than 100 yards. Could the real problem be that we simply can't stop the run on Defense?

If we look at the difference in the front 7 since last year - it's Hampton, Harrison, and Foote. Have McClendon, Williams, and Jarvis killed the defensive front's ability to stop the run? Has this amplified the defensive problems we have?

I think tackling is the biggest problem. If we made tackles consistently, we'd probably be at least 4-4. If we made tackles and didn't turn the ball over, we'd probably be 7-1 right now.

If we could stop the runs, offenses would have to be one dimensional against us. And we could pin our ears back and go after the QB. And the pressure might lead to more turnovers?
    The days of stopping the run, and making teams one-dimensional are gone...atleast for now. 90 is not Big Snack, and 96, or 97 is certainly not Aaron Smith. 99 is getting old. The D-line is really
    bad in my opinion. They don't play sound gap football, and get blasted off the line.

I have no idea where the Steelers get help at this point. I kinda like Arnfeldt, but he's not gonna get a hat this year, and I really want to see him play a little before the season is over...

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Is a lack of talent also an excuse for Haley? Was it for Arians? They both have had to deal with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, plus not having a top RB.

My complaint with LeBeau is not what he does when he has his perfect fit and combination of players, its easy for any coordinator then. But what he hasn't done when he hasn't had just the right players is where he is failing. He continues to run the same old template like the actual skills of the players aren't a factor.
    I think that on the D, you can go play by play and it seems like a different reason almost every time.

For example, if you see a receiver, or a TE, or a RB running all alone, wide open, with nobody around him and he hauls in a pass, then either somebody blew an assignment or the scheme did not give the D a good matchup. That is mostly on coaching.

When you see a RB run into the line and into 5 sets of arms, yet he still always manages to push forward for the extra yard or two, or escape the shoddy tackling, then that is on the players.

Unfortunately, we have seen lots of both this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I know a lot of people will probably praise Foote and criticize V. Williams for our rush defense but the reality is that the inability to stop the run is most likely due to our poor NT play.
    I agree steelz. I have said earlier in the year during the 0-4 run that there was a huge area at the front of the pocket that the QB has for safety. No pressure is coming from up the middle. The QB can step up, can see the field, can run away, and same goes for the RBs.

Close your eyes and think about some of the big runs that have come against the Steelers this year. I'll bet that you see 90% starting right up the gut. That was the value of Snack. There may not have been a ton of pressure up the gut, but there was nowhere to go there either, and any small opening was slowly closing up even more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I know a lot of people will probably praise Foote and criticize V. Williams for our rush defense but the reality is that the inability to stop the run is most likely due to our poor NT play.
    Not only that (which I think is a big factor), but also, DL has changed the system to better suit the talent on the Dline. It's become less about controlling the gaps and more about penetrating. Should we consider going back to the old system for the DLine even though it may not best suit the players? If so, I think there's a strong case to get some reps for Arnfelt and Fangupo who fit the mold of Smitty and Hampton better than the current lineup imho.

At the end of the day, I always come away thinking I'd run on the Steelers any time McClendon and Williams are on the field together.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO I always thought Hampton had a few season's left in him... is he too expensive?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    IMO I always thought Hampton had a few season's left in him... is he too expensive?
    so did casey. he said he could play into his 40s. its not like he needed speed and he wasnt all of a sudden going to get weak. i think tomlin hates fat guys like casey and max and both woulda probably still been here if they stayed in better condition and on a stricter diet.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, here is a question. How much better is this D today with Casey in his prime instead of McLendon? I know that I have argued in the past that Casey was a key and underrated player on this D. The opposing argument is the success with Hoke, but I would take Hoke in there now as opposed to what is on the field right now. Hampton just took away the middle of the field, and occupied two blockers while doing it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    So, here is a question. How much better is this D today with Casey in his prime instead of McLendon? I know that I have argued in the past that Casey was a key and underrated player on this D. The opposing argument is the success with Hoke, but I would take Hoke in there now as opposed to what is on the field right now. Hampton just took away the middle of the field, and occupied two blockers while doing it.
    Since Hampton is gone and we don't have equivalent talent to replace him, the better question is why are we trying to do the exact same thing?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Since Hampton is gone and we don't have equivalent talent to replace him, the better question is why are we trying to do the exact same thing?
    They aren't trying to do the same thing. When the line consisted of Smith/Hampton/Keisel, their job was to eat up blockers and allow the line backers to make the play. This worked because often the O would be forced to commit 5 blockers to these three. Because there is no DL who commands a double team, they are trying to get after the ball on their own instead of tying up blockers for the next man. The trouble is that neither seems to work with this group.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not just the D-line. Our LBs (Woodley, Worilds, Timmons, Williams, Jones) are not great at stopping the run when they have opportunities. They haven't yet found adequate run-stopping replacements for Harrison and Farrior.