Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders’ time with Steelers might end soon as free agency looms

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Next year at around this time, we will barely remember who Sanders is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I think keeping Sanders this year was the right thing to do. Next year, Wheaton should be able to come in and perform and hopefully Cotchery will still be around. Perhaps there will be a decent pick in the draft as well?
    Agreed.

Calling it a mistake now is Monday Morning QB'g. Obviously, a 3rd round pick would have been nice, but going into the season (with Heath coming off ACL), and Cotch (a proven #3, but honestly someone who probably wouldn't be that good as a #2), and a rookie (which turned out to be Wheaton), wouldn't inspire confidence. What if this season had turned out different (i.e. in the thick of it), but were hamstrung by our lack of receiving? People would be all over management for letting a young guy like Sanders walk.

Legend

User Info Menu

I liked Manny early on.. Thought he actually came out of the gate faster than Brown his rookie year. Has had some tough breaks with injuries and some bad drops. I still think he has the ability to be an above average receiver in this league. Maybe he will prove his "Nay sayers" wrong with a different team next year. I am ready to see if Wheaton can step up and be that #2 guy. Hopefully some of the younger guys will get some reps these last few games. Get them a jump start on next year.

Backup

User Info Menu

Keeping Sanders is a luxury the Steelers most likely cannot afford. They have Antonio Brown signed to a long-term contract and in April they invested a third-round pick in Markus Wheaton, who is waiting in the wings for a more prominent role in the offense.
    WTF? This guy does realize that you need more than 2 WRs right? I don't remember a 3rd round pick being such an investment that they can't resign someone. 3rd rounders make pennies in this league. So if they draft another 3rd round WR does that mean they don't have the luxury of keeping Crotchery? It's horrible logic.

Also keeping Sanders was a huge mistake. And many said so at the time. Ben has also lobbied to keep Plex, Holmes etc... so that means almost nothing. This isn't hindsight, this was said at the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Agreed.

Calling it a mistake now is Monday Morning QB'g. Obviously, a 3rd round pick would have been nice, but going into the season (with Heath coming off ACL), and Cotch (a proven #3, but honestly someone who probably wouldn't be that good as a #2), and a rookie (which turned out to be Wheaton), wouldn't inspire confidence. What if this season had turned out different (i.e. in the thick of it), but were hamstrung by our lack of receiving? People would be all over management for letting a young guy like Sanders walk.
    true, but there were lots of knowledgeable fans that wanted the draft pick when it was available
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Starter

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Shoe;586274]Agreed.

Calling it a mistake now is Monday Morning QB'g. Obviously, a 3rd round pick would have been nice, but going into the season (with Heath coming off ACL), and Cotch (a proven #3, but honestly someone who probably wouldn't be that good as a #2), and a rookie (which turned out to be Wheaton), wouldn't inspire confidence. What if this season had turned out different (i.e. in the thick of it), but were hamstrung by our lack of receiving? People would be all over management for letting a young guy like Sanders walk.[/QUOTE

Yup!

Legend

User Info Menu

by Jim Wexell

SANDERS' BEST SEASON?

It's not difficult to gauge the status of wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders. If he plays poorly, he'll be replaced next season by current rookie Markus Wheaton. If he plays well, he'll receive a commensurate contract offer from someone else in free agency and be replaced by current rookie Markus Wheaton.

Sanders isn't in the good graces of many anyway due to his drop of the two-point conversion that would've sent the Baltimore Ravens into overtime on Thanksgiving, and because his third-down drop last week led to the infamous gamble on fourth-and-10.

Still, Sanders has a career-high 58 receptions for a career-high 661 receiving yards, so offensive coordinator Todd Haley was asked if Sanders is having his best season.

"I think he is getting to play more," Haley said. "He is a number-two (receiver) as opposed to being a three or four. Whenever you’re in there getting more snaps, and more pass plays are called while you are in there, I think generally you should be more productive. But he’s done a good job. He is working hard. Obviously there are some that he’d like to have back, as most of these guys would, but I think there’s been good progress made there. He’s shown he can play in this league at a high level."

But most likely, for somebody else.

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1356973.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I liked Manny early on.. Thought he actually came out of the gate faster than Brown his rookie year. Has had some tough breaks with injuries and some bad drops. I still think he has the ability to be an above average receiver in this league. Maybe he will prove his "Nay sayers" wrong with a different team next year. I am ready to see if Wheaton can step up and be that #2 guy. Hopefully some of the younger guys will get some reps these last few games. Get them a jump start on next year.
    Manny just got way more opportunities as the higher draft pick. I recall seeing Brown in limited play and thinking he might be better but Manny played way more on offense.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Let Sanders walk.