Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Surprise position you see us taking @ 17

Legend

User Info Menu

TE would be biggest surprise... Safety would second on that list... it's about 6th and 7th on the list of needs, IMO behind OLB, ILB, RB, WR, NT
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert solidified himself as the top tight end prospect on the board, and one of the best all-around tight ends in recent draft memory. It wouldn't be a shock to learn the Steelers have interest in the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder, in wake of Heath Miller's injury.
    Don't be surprised if the Steelers spend some time with Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert at the NFL Combine.

It's not common for the Steelers to draft a back-up to their team MVP from the previous season in the first round, but it isn't any more common to find a tight end with Eifert's speed (4.68 40) and size (6-foot-5, 250 pounds, 9 1/8 inch hands).
    In what could be a classic example of drafting the best player available, Eifert could be on the board at 17, and it seems likely at least one scout would be clamoring for one of the surest prospects in the draft.

What would that say about tight end Heath Miller, the man who earned a Pro Bowl berth and led the team in receiving this past season? Absolutely nothing. Stepping past for a second the likelihood of Miller starting the year on the physically unable to perform list due to a knee injury he suffered in Week 17, having two players as big and as athletic as Miller and Eifert would fit wonderfully in the Steelers' offense.

Eifert, like any rookie, would need some seasoning, but the Steelers currently only have second-year David Paulson healthy and under contract for 2013. While it's not a guarantee Miller won't play this year, judging by the 2012 season of running back Rashard Mendenhall - who suffered the same ACL tear as Miller did late in the 2011 season - it's hard to say Miller will be the same player from the start.

But looking ahead to 2014, with Miller at 100 percent, and Eifert having a year to develop even more, they could rival anyone in terms of talent at the increasingly important tight end position. It would also be a cheaper alternative to their current lack of wide receivers, giving veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger two large targets in which to throw quick-release passes to all over the field.
    Eifert's outstanding Combine performance solidifies him as one of the best all-around tight end prospects seen in the draft in recent memory.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We need a Safety. The Ravens need two Safeties. Hate to leave a big prize on the board for them at 1/32.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Not a prayer of Lacy getting past the top 25 picks.
    2013 PFT mock draft, Version 1

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2013

It makes no sense to do mock drafts before free agency starts, even though everyone does. It makes somewhat less nonsense to do one two weeks into free agency, but things can still change until it’s time for the first pick to be made.

Then again, it arguably makes no sense to do mock drafts at all, since it’s inherently a crapshoot that gives the experts and those who think they are something to do.

It’s even more of a crapshoot in 2013.

But we’ll shoot the crap anyway, since we haven’t done it yet this year and plenty of you have been asking for us to do one.

Probably so that you can complain about how bad it is.

So complain away.

1. Chiefs: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon.

2. Jaguars: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M.

3. Raiders: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida.

4. Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri.

5. Lions: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington.

6. Browns: DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU.

7. Cardinals: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

8. Bills: QB Matt Barkley, USC.

9. Jets: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama.

10. Titans: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama.

11. Chargers: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan.

12. Dolphins: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma.

13. Buccaneers: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia.

14. Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah.

15. Saints: WR Keenan Allen, California.

16. Rams: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

17. Steelers: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama.

18. Cowboys: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

19. Giants: DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State.

20. Bears: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia.

21. Bengals: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina.

22. Rams (from Redskins): OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama.

23. Vikings: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia.

24. Colts: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.

25. Vikings (from Seahawks): LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame.

26. Packers: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame.

27. Texans: WR Deandre Hopkins, Clemson.

28. Broncos: S Matt Elam, Florida.

29. Patriots: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State.

30. Falcons: DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.

31. 49ers: NT John Jenkins, Georgia.

32. Ravens: OT Kyle Long, Oregon.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/pft-mock-draft-1-0/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it would shock most if we took Jonathan Hankins NT at 17. But, I think the pick makes sense.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think it would shock most if we took Jonathan Hankins NT at 17. But, I think the pick makes sense.
    I would be shocked if they drafted Hankins at 1.17 but with Dick Lebeau present during tOSU pro-day it is a huge possibility. I would be disappointed though if Steelers spend 3 1st Rd draft picks on D-line where they have to engage two blockers and not rush the passer.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I would be shocked if they drafted Hankins at 1.17 but with Dick Lebeau present during tOSU pro-day it is a huge possibility. I would be disappointed though if Steelers spend 3 1st Rd draft picks on D-line where they have to engage two blockers and not rush the passer.
    I'm telling you though Lebeau is more interested in John Simon-DE/OLB...high character, leader with uncanny ability to find the ball. I don't rule out Lebeau also looking at the FB turned ILB Zach Boren who might go as late as 6th. You could go Hankins, Simon, and Boren and have a very good draft.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm telling you though Lebeau is more interested in John Simon-DE/OLB...high character, leader with uncanny ability to find the ball. I don't rule out Lebeau also looking at the FB turned ILB Zach Boren who might go as late as 6th. You could go Hankins, Simon, and Boren and have a very good draft.
    But I thought LeBeau had absolutley no say and is an innocent victim; it is all Colbert and Tomlin's fault that the draft picks haven't worked out and we have a depth and talent problem on defense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert solidified himself as the top tight end prospect on the board, and one of the best all-around tight ends in recent draft memory. It wouldn't be a shock to learn the Steelers have interest in the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder, in wake of Heath Miller's injury.
    Don't be surprised if the Steelers spend some time with Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert at the NFL Combine.

It's not common for the Steelers to draft a back-up to their team MVP from the previous season in the first round, but it isn't any more common to find a tight end with Eifert's speed (4.68 40) and size (6-foot-5, 250 pounds, 9 1/8 inch hands).
    In what could be a classic example of drafting the best player available, Eifert could be on the board at 17, and it seems likely at least one scout would be clamoring for one of the surest prospects in the draft.

What would that say about tight end Heath Miller, the man who earned a Pro Bowl berth and led the team in receiving this past season? Absolutely nothing. Stepping past for a second the likelihood of Miller starting the year on the physically unable to perform list due to a knee injury he suffered in Week 17, having two players as big and as athletic as Miller and Eifert would fit wonderfully in the Steelers' offense.

Eifert, like any rookie, would need some seasoning, but the Steelers currently only have second-year David Paulson healthy and under contract for 2013. While it's not a guarantee Miller won't play this year, judging by the 2012 season of running back Rashard Mendenhall - who suffered the same ACL tear as Miller did late in the 2011 season - it's hard to say Miller will be the same player from the start.

But looking ahead to 2014, with Miller at 100 percent, and Eifert having a year to develop even more, they could rival anyone in terms of talent at the increasingly important tight end position. It would also be a cheaper alternative to their current lack of wide receivers, giving veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger two large targets in which to throw quick-release passes to all over the field.
    Eifert's outstanding Combine performance solidifies him as one of the best all-around tight end prospects seen in the draft in recent memory.
    Eifert would be an outstanding pick at #17 who would contribute for the next decade starting his rookie season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But I thought LeBeau had absolutley no say and is an innocent victim; it is all Colbert and Tomlin's fault that the draft picks haven't worked out and we have a depth and talent problem on defense.
    Certainly not said by me. Overall, I think the FO and coaches have done a bang up job picking talent. The Steelers have 6 rings, 2 in the last 7 seasons to prove it.
    Trolls are people too.