Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An observation on Mclendon

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah in all honesty I wasn't looking at McClendon all night long. But, when I did notice him he was playing well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah in all honesty I wasn't looking at McClendon all night long. But, when I did notice him he was playing well.
    Help Chadman see Shawn- because either Chadman is only looking for the bad spots, or only looking at the wrong time.

That big run by Forte in the 1st Quarter is the perfect example of the play we get from McLendon & Hood. McLendon was moved out of the way by the OG, Hood blocked by the TE, letting the OT take out the ILB, springing Forte into open space. Seeing it over & over. And in the pass rush, which is supposed to be his strength- he's not getting within sniffing distance of the QB.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe McLendon is too tired to play well. Maybe the team needs to ban him from ballet and have him take up a less strenuous recreational activity, like, say, ping-pong...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McLendon is the LEAST of our problems. We pay him like a scrub, and he gives us (whichever way you see it) starter quality to backup. Conversely, look at what we pay Hood and Heyward, and compare it to their production levels.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman, you're are correct. I made the comment in preseason that McClendon often times rushes himself right out of the play. He doesn't create any push straight up the middle, instead he goes to one side or the other and leaves that gap in the middle like the one Cutler exploited to go on and get that critical first down (and knock Golden the F*$% out). I noticed the pocket doesn't collapse on the QB properly, instead it runs past and around the QB, thus enabling the QB to simply step up and avoid the pressure altogether.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

So that goes to my point and what Shoe expanded on - he was undrafted and he's giving the best he can. Is it his fault he possibly has reached his ceiling and is really a guy who should only see spot duty to give a rest to a starting nose tackle? Or is it the front office/coaching staff who did not adequately prepare for the day Hampton was done as a Steeler?

When the draft is the number one, key ingredient to success, it's drafting guys like Hood and Heyward that wreck a club. Not some undrafted guy who's showing why he did not get taken in 7 rounds. For the $, McClendon is a much better deal than the other d line and most of the o line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    When the draft is the number one, key ingredient to success, it's drafting guys like Hood and Heyward that wreck a club. Not some undrafted guy who's showing why he did not get taken in 7 rounds. For the $, McClendon is a much better deal than the other d line and most of the o line.
    that's been my argument for 2 years with one of the "experts" on this board over Ramon Foster. Criticism, in some ways has to be relative to the size paychecks one cashes. That's why they call it professional football.

like you, I'm much more concerned with guys like larry timmons who has gotten off to another one of his patented slow starts, but I know that is all "coach dads" fault.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Help Chadman see Shawn- because either Chadman is only looking for the bad spots, or only looking at the wrong time.

That big run by Forte in the 1st Quarter is the perfect example of the play we get from McLendon & Hood. McLendon was moved out of the way by the OG, Hood blocked by the TE, letting the OT take out the ILB, springing Forte into open space. Seeing it over & over. And in the pass rush, which is supposed to be his strength- he's not getting within sniffing distance of the QB.
    that's exactly what i was talking about Chadman. He picks a side and makes it an easy block.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman isn't removing Ziggy Hood from blame. At the same time, as a starter, he shares as much responsibility as McLendon does to get it right, regardless of what round they were drafted, or not drafted, in.

Is McLendon good value because he's a former UDFA that became a starter? Only if he's starting quality. Chadman's argument about McLendon is not about the value of Hood & Heyward, but McLendon's alone. That NT spot is the cog which the 3-4 builds around. He MUST get push, he MUST clog lanes.

McLendon does neither.

Eddie's argument about Timmons having a bad start to the year goes hand-in-hand with this discussion about McLendon, because while McLendon is taken out by the Center, an OG is free to take out Timmons. McLendon's job, same with Hood's, is to take out the blockers to let Timmons & Co run wild. That isn't happening. The result is no pressure, no collapsing pockets, free running lanes, RB's hit 3-4 yards downfield with momentum & space for QB's to dance around while WR's get open.

You want to argue the value of Hood? Fair enough- he's looking like trash at the moment too. He's bad value. Keisel is the only DL looking like he can collapse a pocket successfully, but Heyward is showing signs.

To answer Ghost- is it McLendon's fault? Not at all, unless he has the ability to do better. Chadman doesn't see that ability in him however. It's on the coaches. They should have been able to evaluate that McLendon is barely servicable as a 3-4 NT & acted accordingly.

At this stage, Chadman would be trying to find Hampton's phone number, because the O can't win it for the Steelers, so the D needs to step it up.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That whole drive was a cluster F*** for the defense; they gave up three huge third downs after dominating the Bears for the previous 2 quarters. I can't for the life of me figure out how that happens, it's almost as if the pressure of the game gets to them. When the game appeared out of hand they dominated the Bears and allowed the offense to get the Steelers back in the game and then with the game on the line they stink it up bad, including Ike.

Pappy
    "3rd and long against against our D" - the words that make me nauseous and filled with terror as much as any other.

In my mind, it all started with the Fitz TD up the middle during the SB. We got out of that one by the skin of our teeth, but it's never been the same since then. I thought it had gotten as bad as it could against, man I can't even type these words, "in Denver" will have to do. But now, any third down against us, and somehow *especially* third and long, is painful to wait for.

It's like D!ck is the best D coordinator in the universe on 1st and 2nd downs, and just as bad on 3rd downs as he is good at the other two.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!