Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: if this wr is available in FA next year, how much should we pay him?

Legend

User Info Menu

The injury to Ben has nothing to do with Haley's scheme. It was a fluke. My only complaint about letting BA go is that we did it too late.

Don't be surprised if Wallace goes to Indy. His agent may already be talking to them.

One more thing: I used to think that Wallace was irreplacable. I no longer think that.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You keep characterizing anyone who isn't falling over themselves to pay Wallace whatever he wants as "kicking him to the curb"
    Well, there were posters on here wishing injury on the guy a few short days ago.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would tend to agree with that which is why I said there may have only been one $8M contract for a WR. We are going to have to cut a lot of veteran players to clear space to sign Wallace for even $9M per year. That would likely mean saying goodbye to Harrison, Foote, Kiesel and maybe even Troy given some of that savings in cap space will have to be used to tender our RFAs and other player we want like Lewis, Pouncey, etc.
    Is it worth sacrificing the likes of Hampton, Foote, Keisel, and maybe even Harrison and Troy in order to work out long term deals with guys like Lewis, Pouncey, and Wallace? Although it's painful to lose integral parts of multiple championship teams (just like it was difficult parting with the likes of Hines, Potsie, Aaron, and Hokie a year ago), each of those guys may have a year or two of tread left on their tires, while we could have a decade or more of production from those younger guys.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Is it worth sacrificing the likes of Hampton, Foote, Keisel, and maybe even Harrison and Troy in order to work out long term deals with guys like Lewis, Pouncey, and Wallace? Although it's painful to lose integral parts of multiple championship teams (just like it was difficult parting with the likes of Hines, Potsie, Aaron, and Hokie a year ago), each of those guys may have a year or two of tread left on their tires, while we could have a decade or more of production from those younger guys.
    As I'm sure you well know, you don't have to sell me on the vurtue of getting younger players time on the field. It is the only way we can see what they can do and make informed decisions about keeping them or going in another direction.

I'd love for us to keep Wallace at the right price because I think we are going to need to score lots of points as we cut lose the old stalwarts from the defense that have big doallar contracts and poor performance on the field.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

As I'm sure you well know, you don't have to sell me on the vurtue of getting younger players time on the field. It is the only way we can see what they can do and make informed decisions about keeping them or going in another direction.

I'd love for us to keep Wallace at the right price because I think we are going to need to score lots of points as we cut lose the old stalwarts from the defense that have big doallar contracts and poor performance on the field.
    If you think the old stalwarts are performing poorly on the field, why do you think we will struggle more after getting rid of poor performers? Wouldn't eliminating poor performers improve performance?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I say franchise him and negotiate briefly. If he won't sign long term for a reasonable amount (and I know he likely won't), trade him for a 2nd rounder. If we can't get that (and I'd think we would), trade him for a package of middle round picks (like a 3rd, 4th, and a 5th).
    The one year franchise number isn't any easier to fit under the cap than the 8-9 million per year contract people are kicking around. For Mike Wallace to remain a Steelers regardless of his propensity to do so the Steelers are going to have to shed a lot of salary, renegotiate a lot of contracts, or have veteran players play for a lot less than they are currently due.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    playing devils advocate...

I wonder if letting Arians go was a mistake. Ben has taken less hits but he is still hurt (the worst on field injury of his career IMO) and our big plays aren't so big anymore.

Don't get me wrong... the offense is more efficient but we aren't scoring more or crushing teams this year like most expected. Injuries play a part but we were often injured with Arians as well.
    It may or may not have been a mistake that's debatable, but what isn't debatable is the fact that in general the offense is still a middle of the road offense, it only took a different route to get to the middle of the pack than last year. Any team that has Haley or Arians is getting a highly qualified NFL offensive coordinator.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Well, there were posters on here wishing injury on the guy a few short days ago.
    yup, and i still do

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup, and i still do
    just curious, why?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup, and i still do

Unless you want to solidify our picking in the first 15 picks of next years draft, that makes no sense whatsoever. We still have a hope to make the play offs so while I think Wallace has been an idiot throughout this contract process, I'm all for using Mike Wallace up as much as we can. Can't do that if he is on the sideline in a sweatsuit.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"