Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If he could come relatively affordable, could the Steelers make a run at..

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he could come relatively affordable, could the Steelers make a run at..

Rey Maualuga?

from the following article...

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_defensive_draft_needs_replacements_for_ja mes_harrison_troy_polamalu_and_ryan_clark_must_be_ addressed/12548104[/URL]

"As for free agents there are a couple of intriguing names out there. One that the Steelers should definitely kick the tires on is Rey Maualuga a middle linebacker who has plays for the Bengals. Maualuga has lost snaps to rookie Vontaze Burfict and may not be retained in free agency. If the price is right Maualuga could be the perfect compliment to Timmons in the middle of the Steelers 3-4 alignment."
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

I liked him coming out in the draft. Thought he would have looked good in B&G. Liked the way he hit and it had a little bit of nastiness to it. If he got beat out by an UDFA it had better be a good price and I'd like to see what we have in Spence.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    I liked him coming out in the draft. Thought he would have looked good in B&G. Liked the way he hit and it had a little bit of nastiness to it. If he got beat out by an UDFA it had better be a good price and I'd like to see what we have in Spence.
    Regardless of the "if he got beat out" stuff...he had more tackles than any Steeler did this year. He had a pretty good year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Would be an interesting pickup for sure...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    My understanding was that Burfict was considered a top LB, but that he had major character concerns so no one took him in the draft. Rey could be a good player for us, IMO. I'm sure Troy could be a good influence on him with their shared USC and Polynesian heritage.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm all aboard this train. He'd be a great fit in the black and gold and spence has A LOT of ground to make up even when you don't consider the injury. I really liked Spence coming out. It certainly can't hurt to have the depth. We've seen that this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even if Spence comes back even 100% what he was that makes no guarantee to say he is anything more than another Goo Wallace, Sly Sylvester, or that level of ILB. I mean the hope is there but Spence didn't even get to showcase in the preseason. Were there any real positive reports out of training camp or mini camps even on him or is it pure speculation Spence is anything more than a special teamer?

Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to add an ILB like Rey.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Even if Spence comes back even 100% what he was that makes no guarantee to say he is anything more than another Goo Wallace, Sly Sylvester, or that level of ILB. I mean the hope is there but Spence didn't even get to showcase in the preseason. Were there any real positive reports out of training camp or mini camps even on him or is it pure speculation Spence is anything more than a special teamer?

Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to add an ILB like Rey.
    I remember reading that they were pretty happy with Spence before the injury, so much so that they expected him to contribute immediately. I could be wrong on that but I swear I remember reading it. However you are correct. A LOT of variables involved with Spence AND it can't hurt to add a guy like maualuga. If they could do it, it could be a Farrior like signing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If for some reason this were to happen I'd then want the Steelers to draft NT Jesse Williams. If you keep Maualuga and Timmons clean they could make a lot of splash plays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How miscast (if at all) was he, in Cincy's defense? Is the difference between 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB in our D substantial? If so, I would consider him (though I don't like that he comes from a division rival).

If the difference isn't that big, then I don't see much value in bringing him in when we can already have Foote.