Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Years Draft

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Paulson is not a potential #1, he will always be a back up. We need to get guy at TE who can step in and be the #1 when Heath leaves or is injured. We have no one who can do that right now on the roster.
    I disagree...

It just depends upon how we choose to use the #2 TE...

Matt Spaeth often got killed on this board, but somehow was able to produce at a starter caliber level when called upon...for example, when Heath Miller missed two games in 2008, Spaeth came up with 12 receptions over those two games...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I disagree...

It just depends upon how we choose to use the #2 TE...

Matt Spaeth often got killed on this board, but somehow was able to produce at a starter caliber level when called upon...for example, when Heath Miller missed two games in 2008, Spaeth came up with 12 receptions over those two games...
    Paulson doesn't have Spaeth's size and I doubt he can block as well. I do agree that Spaeth was unjustly "killed" on this board. Not his fault Arians didn't know how to use TEs.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would say OLB then S. If Spence is expected to fully recover, ILB will not be up there but the unknown may bring on a pick in the 3rd.

I'm basing it off my preditions for 2013: Harrison released. Hampton not brought back. Foote brought back on 1 year vet min. Lewis signed long term. Wallace Franchised. Sanders Tendered. Mendy allowed to shop & only signed at bargain with Steelers.

It would not surprise me at all to see OLB, S, ILB as the first three picks. As of right now, I haven't seen anyone on the roster that has "starter" written all over them at those spots in reserve. Spence didn't get his chance and his injury may be a concern. I think he would have pushed Foote to the bench by now. All the other LBs had some type of opportunity and didn't flash. We have seen all the S's with the exception of Golden. I really feel the Steelers will have to come out of this draft with future starters at OLB & S....And I'm thinking a pass rusher to start the season.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 11-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Paulson is not a potential #1, he will always be a back up. We need to get guy at TE who can step in and be the #1 when Heath leaves or is injured. We have no one who can do that right now on the roster.
    I agree. We should have kept Saunders. He had that potential. Pope does nothing well except be tall.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would say OLB then S. If Spence is expected to fully recover, ILB will not be up there but the unknown may bring on a pick in the 3rd.

I'm basing it off my preditions for 2013: Harrison released. Hampton not brought back. Foote brought back on 1 year vet min. Lewis signed long term. Wallace Franchised. Sanders Tendered. Mendy allowed to shop & only signed at bargain with Steelers.

It would not surprise me at all to see OLB, S, ILB as the first three picks. As of right now, I haven't seen anyone on the roster that has "starter" written all over them at those spots in reserve. Spence didn't get his chance and his injury may be a concern. I think he would have pushed Foote to the bench by now. All the other LBs had some type of opportunity and didn't flash. We have seen all the S's with the exception of Golden. I really feel the Steelers will have to come out of this draft with future starters at OLB & S....And I'm thinking a pass rusher to start the season.
    I agree.

I think we could see 2 safeties drafted in rounds 1 thru 5. Probably 1 pure S and a S/CB-type player.

I'm not sure what the #'s are going to be but I'd like to keep all of the following: Starks, Foster, and Legursky. I don't know what to do about Gilbert especially with Adams playing better. I want the depth but I don't know if Gilbert will want to be a backup to both Starks and Adams. I also think that Foster might try to shop around for a starting job.

Then, we should keep Lewis and Sanders. We could tender Sanders but IMO, it's a safer bet to sign him long term. Then, the Wallace situation. I'd love to have him back but I still can't see paying him for than 50+ million.

So where is the money going to come from? Hampton will be gone and likely Harrison. Will that be enough with some fancy restructures? Will we release Keisel?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Matt Elam(S, Florida) is a guy at safety I really hope declares. He is a Earl Thomas like beast!

Legend

User Info Menu

Among senior safety prospects, T.J. McDonald (USC), Kenny Vaccaro (Texas), Robert Lester (Alabama), and Baccari Rambo (Georgia) are candidates to be taken on the first 2 days of the draft. Junior safety prospects Tony Jefferson (Oklahoma), Eric Reid (LSU), and Matt Elam (Florida) could join them if they decide to declare. Anyone for spending 2 of our top 3 draft picks in order to get two of these guys? We've had success doubling down before in the same draft (LB's Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, WR's Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, CB's Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, OL David DeCastro and Mike Adams).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Totally agree with everything you wrote except for franchising Wallace. Even with lots of cuts (harrison and Hampton) i just don't see the money being there.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Among senior safety prospects, T.J. McDonald (USC), Kenny Vaccaro (Texas), Robert Lester (Alabama), and Baccari Rambo (Georgia) are candidates to be taken on the first 2 days of the draft. Junior safety prospects Tony Jefferson (Oklahoma), Eric Reid (LSU), and Matt Elam (Florida) could join them if they decide to declare. Anyone for spending 2 of our top 3 draft picks in order to get two of these guys? We've had success doubling down before in the same draft (LB's Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, WR's Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, CB's Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, OL David DeCastro and Mike Adams).
    I like Tony Jefferson and Matt Elam very much. Rambo and Lester could prove to be great ballhawks.

Vaccaro misses a ton of tackles. He whiffs way too much to be a Steeler. I've seen him make some amazing plays, but he misses way too many routine ones. That defense is straight awful and he is one of the reasons.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Totally agree with everything you wrote except for franchising Wallace. Even with lots of cuts (harrison and Hampton) i just don't see the money being there.
    Gotta agree. Franchising Wallace and signing starks, lewis, and tendering Sanders seems like a lot for a team that will be way over the cap.