Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Options at Left Tackle

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Our line was as big an issue as it was last year! So adding him isn't going to fix anything, realistically.
    The line was a big issue last year, but IMO Starks was the best lineman we had, especially taking into account that he mans the toughest OL position.

This year it was above and beyond horrible. A QB should not be immediately under pressure as soon as he gets the ball more often than not. This is the reality of our OL.

Adams reminds me of a story that I heard on the radio recently. I forgot who told it, but it was a OG from Notre Dame who played in the NFL as well, and played during the Lou Holtz era (by the way, it is the guard telling the story)...

So, one day in practice, this OG lets (IIRC) Oliver Gibson through into the backfield and he drops (IIRC again) Dorsey Levens for a big loss. Holtz is furious and orders the guard off of the field. He then shouts down from his perch to run the exact same play again but this time with no LG. The tackle doesn't know what to do, so he moves over closer to the C to fill the gap, but Holtz tells him to move back to his natural spot as if there was still a guard there. So, they run the same play, and of course Gibson breaks through the opening again, and drops Levens for a big loss again. So, Holtz comes down to the field, storms up to the guard and says something like "see, when you play like that it doesn't make a difference whether you are on the field or not."

To make a long story short...that is how I feel watching Adams on most plays. Anybody out there has to be better than playing with 4. He is still young and he might be able to show improvement, but to me I still see a RT skillset and can't see the potential to improve his footwork and quickness to be able to handle the best pass rushers in the league, week after week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Because it wasn't an emergency...

If another lineman had been lost to injury, I'm sure Whimper would have been trotted out there because the Steelers had no better alternative on the roster...

Adams, who got whupped for 4 quarters, was still considered a better alternative by the coaches than Whimper, apparently...
    He was a better option because either the Steelers didn't prepare Whimper properly or Whimper didn't prepare himself properly, either way, isn't that a problem?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He was a better option because either the Steelers didn't prepare Whimper properly or Whimper didn't prepare himself properly, either way, isn't that a problem?

Pappy
    Yep. Absolutely.

But, where is the root of said problem?

Is it Tomlin or the FO? Because, clearly, they are not on the same page...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yep. Absolutely.

But, where is the root of said problem?

Is it Tomlin or the FO? Because, clearly, they are not on the same page...
    I think this is what we are all trying to determine, because it is so bizarre.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm not leaning toward Tomlin, at this point...

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    I'm still not sure we wouldn't have tried Dwyer at LT before Whimper because he at least did a decent job of getting in the way of free blitzers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The line was a big issue last year, but IMO Starks was the best lineman we had, especially taking into account that he mans the toughest OL position.

This year it was above and beyond horrible. A QB should not be immediately under pressure as soon as he gets the ball more often than not. This is the reality of our OL.
    What do you guys think these other teams missed? The Rams and the Chargers especially, have a need at Left Tackle. They not only considered him not-starter material, they didn't even think enough of him as a backup/swing lineman. He's not going to suddenly come (back) to us, and morph into a different player.

He can't be as bad as Adams. I just don't think he adds enough, to make it worth bringing him back. Also, he adds nothing in terms of an attitude shift.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this is what we are all trying to determine, because it is so bizarre.

Pappy
    Know what's even more bizarre? If they knew Whimper wouldn't see the field barring massive injury, and Adams was struggling as he was, why was an RB or FB not brought in to help and at least chip Allen or the DE on every play. Why would the coaching staff leave him out there alone when pee wee players could tell he was in trouble. Towards the end Adams was just giving up. He sucks, but the coaches suck too for offering no help.

Legend

User Info Menu

Y'all want to yank Adams, but is there a chance he ends up an Urbick, a Steeler premature cut who became a serviceable player?

Legend

User Info Menu

Possibilities available as FA's (as of a couple days ago):

Jammal Brown (RT/LT)
    Jared Gaither (LT)
    Demetress Bell (LT)
    Sean Locklear (RT/LT)
    Frank Omiyale (RT/LT/G)
    Wayne Hunter (LT)
    Jason Smith (RT, LT)
    D’Anthony Batiste (RT, LT)
    Ed Wang (LT)