Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

Beaver County Times Home
    [url]http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-wallace-wants-to-be-a-star-not-a-steeler/article_3f4cb673-9733-519a-b60a-c02ec73d2870.html[/url]
    Mark Madden

Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent | 0 comments

I don't worship at the altar of Hines Ward. I think he's a self-serving phony. One person when the microphone is on, another when it's off.

But I'll say this for Ward: He knew how to be a Steeler. He knew the value of the brand, of the logo, and how it added to everything he did. Ward knew the standard, and usually lived up to it. He was a Steeler.

Mike Wallace, not so much.

Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler. He doesn't want to earn, he wants to get paid.

If Ward was a big influence on the Steelers' youthful receivers -- the "Young Money Crew" -- it's not evident with Wallace, who disappeared during the second half of last season. Wallace didn't top 100 yards worth of catches in a game after week 7, falling short of 60 yards five times. He had three catches for 26 yards in the playoff loss at Denver.

Wallace is a restricted free agent, tied to the Steelers by a first-round tender worth $2.7 million in 2012. The Steelers can match any offer. If they decline, they get a first-round pick as compensation.

Wallace will be a Steeler next year. He guaranteed that by seeking Larry Fitzgerald money. Wallace wants $15 million per year. No team will pay near that, let alone surrender a first-round pick on top of it.

Wallace isn't Fitzgerald. Wallace has speed. Fitzgerald has everything.

Some say Wallace had a bad second half of the season because he was so tightly covered, tying that theory to Antonio Brown's increased numbers. That begs the question: Is a mere decoy worth big loot?

Wallace will get big loot next off-season. Barring a franchise tag, Wallace's free agency becomes unrestricted. He still won't get Fitzgerald money, but he might get Vincent Jackson money: five years, $55.55 million. Dan Rooney would sooner put that kind of dough through a paper shredder than give it to someone who touches the ball four or five times per game.

With Wallace a lame duck, what level of exertion can be expected from him this coming season? Depends how smart he is. With unrestricted free agency pending, every catch hikes future paychecks. Effort is an investment in himself, not the Steelers.

Wallace, sadly, seems to personify a new breed of Steeler. He hasn't won anything, yet displays inflated ego and arrogance.

Put Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert in that group. Within minutes of the playoff loss at Denver, each was on Twitter to profanely urge followers to listen to a certain rapper. F-bombs, N-words, etc.

When Pouncey was criticized, he called detractors "losers" and said, "U wish u had my life." No, I don't. Not if your brain comes with it.

The Steelers should ban players from Twitter. Some do a nice job with it. Many don't. At any rate, what's the upside?

When Wallace's money demands got questioned, he tweeted, "I love when haters hate." What a great all-purpose defense. Jerry Sandusky should try it.

The Steelers cut Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith. They won't be missed as players. Ward and Farrior are washed up, Smith too brittle.

But considering the antics and attitudes of those left behind, the Steelers should definitely worry about a leadership void.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

That guy is the biggest no-nothing that there ever was. First, there is not a better person on and off the field then Ward. And as for Wallace, I have seen many WR's who have had very good 1st and 2nd seasons, only to comeback the following seasons and demand this, and demand that. Some hold out, ect. Mike Wallace is the very DEFINITION of what a Pittsburgh Steeler should be. This writer is a pure Idiot with NO conception of what the game is. Wallace never complained. He never held out. He took the negative comments about how he was only a straight line speed guy who can only run deep patterns, only to shut those critics up in his 2nd and 3rd seasons where Wallace clearly showed his route running skills, and his ability to go over the middle and on short patterns. Wallace never complained last season when his production went down after the first 8 or 9 games, and that was because it was NOT Wallace's fault that the O-Line couldn't keep even 3 or 4 man rushes off Ben, there for not allowing enough time to FIND Wallace.

Wallace IS the GREATEST of Steelers cause he went ALL OUT/BALLS OUT on every play whether his number was going to be called or not...NOT like many other " Diva " WR's I could mention ( Moss, Plex, Ocho, ect )...Wallace has never embarrassed the team by showing up out of shape in training camp. Or have you EVER heard a single word about him with a off the field incident. Now, after his original deal is up. Now when he has a RIGHT to seek out the most money he can, he is called out for wanting to be a " STAR " and NOT a Steeler. ????

Absolutely the biggest bunch of Horse S H I T you will ever read! Madden is a Idiot. And a fat AZZ Scumbag!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden is spot on this time.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Madden is spot on this time.

And you are as Big of an Idiot as he is. I guess you think Wallace shoud take way way less, and be a good little Slave don't you.

Legend

User Info Menu

The truth likely lies somewhere between the two extremities..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

First, there is not a better person on and off the field then Ward.
    Hahahahahaha.......priceless!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan View Post
    And you are as Big of an Idiot as he is. I guess you think Wallace shoud take way way less, and be a good little Slave don't you.
    maybe you should cool it with the insults and slave talk a bit. It doesn't help you make your point all too well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Please restrain from name-calling and such loaded words as the S____ reference. Help keep the board respectful.

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden is a moronic attention-whore but he hit the nail on the head when he said

Wallace isn't Fitzgerald. Wallace has speed. Fitzgerald has everything.
    Wallace gets way more attention because of his speed than he deserves because he is far from a complete WR. He doesn't make hard catches in traffic which is what the great WR do. He is a better version of Nate Washington a fast WR with Grade A speed but Grade B hands and other WR qualities.

If we keep Wallace for a reasonable salary (I doubt it)...great. Hopefully he can become a more complete WR, but if we can't keep him we will replace him just like we have so many players. Most of the greatest WR in NFL history got there without being the fastest. It is the other attributes of being a WR that mean the most.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

let me guess, you jackoff to a poster of wallace every night