Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jason Worilds wants to stay -- as starter

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No matter what fans think Jason Gildon played well for 10 seasons. Took him a few to get going like Worilds really. So I hope JJ is as good or I prefer better then Gildon and on the right side.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Vontaze Burflict ran a 5.1 forty. Isn't he around the league leaders in tackles for his 2 years in the league? I'd take him. Just because Jones ran a 4.9 doesn't mean he can't play in this league. Instinct, smarts and quickness will determine the impact of a player most of the time ... not straight line speed.
    Where did I say he can't play? I think he has a lot of potential. And Burfict is actually a good call, in terms of the type of player I envision. Burfict though, isn't an OLB in a 3-4. (He may play OLB in a 4-3.) Can you imagine Burfict rushing off the edge, and having success? I cannot.

Jarvis Jones isn't a "pass-rusher" IMO. He is a "blitzer". You line him up and tell him to beat the Tackle, I don't know that he will be terribly successful (I hope he proves me wrong). He needs that element of deception, that split second of indecision, to get the edge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Where did I say he can't play? I think he has a lot of potential. And Burfict is actually a good call, in terms of the type of player I envision. Burfict though, isn't an OLB in a 3-4. (He may play OLB in a 4-3.) Can you imagine Burfict rushing off the edge, and having success? I cannot.

Jarvis Jones isn't a "pass-rusher" IMO. He is a "blitzer". You line him up and tell him to beat the Tackle, I don't know that he will be terribly successful (I hope he proves me wrong). He needs that element of deception, that split second of indecision, to get the edge.

I see it the same way. JJ is a pursuit guy who will run 30 yards to make a tackle. Problem is I don't think he has the explosion and power to beat the Left tackles in this league. This isn't the SEC. NFL QB aren't going to hold the ball and I haven't seen yet where he can get to the QB quickly.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Gotta give JJ a chance to learn the playbook and master his assignments before saying he can't do "this, that and a third"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    No matter what fans think Jason Gildon played well for 10 seasons.
    Dude, he got A LOT coverage sacks. I want the guy who makes plays when plays are needed, not when they come to you.

When the other team needed a 3rd and 10 to stay in the game - that's when they feared Greg Lloyd -and that's when he got a lot of sacks. Peezy had that quality. It's clutch time, better look out cuz Peezy is gonna make a play. Remember when Lamarr Woodley went out and got a "that's how you be GREAT!" from Tomlin? I love guys who love "the moment" and shine in it.

Gildon rarely shined in "the moment". Instead, he played like a REALLY good backup for 10 seasons. Unfortunately, he started quite a few of those seasons.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Dude, he got A LOT coverage sacks. I want the guy who makes plays when plays are needed, not when they come to you.

When the other team needed a 3rd and 10 to stay in the game - that's when they feared Greg Lloyd -and that's when he got a lot of sacks. Peezy had that quality. It's clutch time, better look out cuz Peezy is gonna make a play. Remember when Lamarr Woodley went out and got a "that's how you be GREAT!" from Tomlin? I love guys who love "the moment" and shine in it.

Gildon rarely shined in "the moment". Instead, he played like a REALLY good backup for 10 seasons. Unfortunately, he started quite a few of those seasons.
    Except for when Lloyd to play against monster LTs when he got absolutely engulfed.

JJ will be a pro bowler. He just needs to get stronger which is a given.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Except for when Lloyd to play against monster LTs when he got absolutely engulfed.

JJ will never be a Pro Bowler. He may be a decent 7-8 sack guy (see Haggens and Worilds) but he will not be a dominant OLB pass rusher like Harrison was for a few years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

reserving judgement on JJ... reminding me of gildong as a rook isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just means he's got some work to do.... most rooks do.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    JJ will never be a Pro Bowler. He may be a decent 7-8 sack guy (see Haggens and Worilds) but he will not be a dominant OLB pass rusher like Harrison was for a few years.
    Please remember this when he makes the Pro Bowl...

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds gains interest from "6-8" teams, could command high salary number

By Bryan DeArdo on Feb 28 2014

Some predicting the fifth year linebacker will be "playing with a new team" in 2014

The Steelers may have to pay a king's ransom to keep Jason Worilds.

The fifth-year linebacker, still just 25-years-old, has been reported to be in high demand among NFL teams according to ESPN's Adam Caplan on NFL Insiders.

Caplan went on to say that as many as "6-8 teams" are currently interested in Worilds, who could command "around $6-7 million a year."

Where does this leave the Steelers?

SI.com's Josh Sanchez stated that the Steelers "would likely prefer if he returned to the team but it is unlikely that they will be able to afford him with the amount of money that he is going to command. Expect Worilds to be playing with a new team in 2014."

Rotoworld.com's Evan Silva has Worilds ranked as the second best free agent on the market behind fellow outside linebacker Brian Orakpo.

Worilds' sack numbers have risen in each of his four seasons in the NFL. He was one of the team's main cogs during the Steelers' second half emergence last year. He had six of his eight sacks in the final eight games of the season as Pittsburgh went 6-2 during that span. One of his best games last season came in a 10 tackle, two-sack effort against the Ravens in Week 13.

The 6'2, 262-pound Worlids has 18 career sacks after being drafted in the second round out of Virginia Tech in 2010. He recorded his first NFL sack in Week Two of his rookie season in the team's 38-13 win at Tampa Bay. He recorded his first two-sack game in Week 14 of the 2011 season against Cleveland. His next multi-sack effort came in week 12 of the 2012 season at Cleveland.

What transpires with Worilds will most likely have an impact on how the Steelers handle the LaMarr Woodley situation. After tallying 44 sacks from 2008-11, Woodley recorded five sacks in 2012 and four in 13 games last season while battling injuries. The 29-year-old Woodley forced a fumble on the Cardinals final play of Super Bowl XLIII.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/2/28/5456350/worilds-gains-interest-from-6-8-teams-could-command-high-salary-number[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha