Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

Rookie

User Info Menu

Or, they're working with more information than we are...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't understand much about the decisions over the past few months.

Ta'amu gets into his mess, the Steelers help him, keep him on the team and he plays good in the pre-season, then they cut him
    Dwyer comes into camp overweight the previous 2 years, he gets to camp in good shape, runs the ball well in pre-season, then they cut him
    Guy Whimper is rated the worst tackle in the league last year, the Steelers sign him and then treat him like he's irreplaceble
    Butler and Moorman battle for punting duties all camp, Butler wins, Mesko gets brought in after cuts, he's not tremendously better than Butler, Butler is released
    Jarvis Jones is arounnd the ball all pre-season and making splash plays, you can barely tell worilds is on the field and he gets the start
    Jones comes in without knowing the offense and blitz package pickups, runs hard, picks a few blitzes and looks good catching the ball, I can barely recall Redmon being on the field in the pre-season and he gets the start
    Shamarko Thomas is lighting up receivers, making plays, Gay is getting burned multiple times for TDs, I'd give Thomas a chance at nickel.
    Hawthorne looked like a great athlete, he's injured I get it, but why not try and stash him on the PS?

Just sketchy to me, it almost seems that the Steelers are meandering with no real direction.

Pappy
    One of the best posts I have read in a long time. Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ta'amu gets into his mess, the Steelers help him, keep him on the team and he plays good in the pre-season, then they cut him
    Dwyer comes into camp overweight the previous 2 years, he gets to camp in good shape, runs the ball well in pre-season, then they cut him
    Guy Whimper is rated the worst tackle in the league last year, the Steelers sign him and then treat him like he's irreplaceble
    Butler and Moorman battle for punting duties all camp, Butler wins, Mesko gets brought in after cuts, he's not tremendously better than Butler, Butler is released
    Jarvis Jones is arounnd the ball all pre-season and making splash plays, you can barely tell worilds is on the field and he gets the start
    Jones comes in without knowing the offense and blitz package pickups, runs hard, picks a few blitzes and looks good catching the ball, I can barely recall Redmon being on the field in the pre-season and he gets the start
    Shamarko Thomas is lighting up receivers, making plays, Gay is getting burned multiple times for TDs, I'd give Thomas a chance at nickel.
    Hawthorne looked like a great athlete, he's injured I get it, but why not try and stash him on the PS?

Just sketchy to me, it almost seems that the Steelers are meandering with no real direction.

Pappy
    Well said.... agree on all points. It's like we are trying to be an inferior team. I don't get it. Most teams want to build solid depth around their starters and get the best players on the field.... we are all over the map. Are we trying to become the Cleveland Browns?

We kept Whimper instead of signing Starks -> Just when I thought the bad personnel moves were over, we make one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. In additional, the Hawthorne situation is dumbfounding.

If you want to start Mike Adams and Gilbert at LT and RT then fine. Roll the dice and see what happens. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't sign Starks and release Whimper as an insurance policy.

We would be covered if Adams or Gilbert get hurt. We would be covered if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle. If Gilbert struggles, it would be best to move Adams to RT and Starks to LT. If Adams struggles, you simply plug Starks in at LT. What is the harm in that? Personally, I think Starks could outplay both of our starters right now but I'm willing to give the young guys a chance.

What I don't understand is the backup situation with Whimper. Who would you rather have as your insurance if Adams or Gilbert struggle or get hurt. Whimper or Starks? It's a no brainer and only a sane person would select Starks. On the other hand, someone in this organization is clearly insane.

Let's see, Starks is....

- Multiple year average starter on SB teams. Considering Ben's playing style, Starks did not play poorly.
    - Still only 31 y/o
    - Has played LT and RT and actually played more consistent at LT.
    - A good leader and role model (unlike Pouncey)
    - Ben's close friend.
    - Ben trusts Starks protecting his blind side as he's been Ben's LT for almost his entire career. On a side note, I've never seen Ben so uncomfortable in the pocket than what he's been this preseason.
    - He was our best o-lineman in 2012

So... with all this being said, The Steelers decided that the logical decision was to sign the league's worst LT in 2012 rather than signing our best overall 2012 o-lineman. Seem's perfectly logical to me,
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Well said.... agree on all points. It's like we are trying to be an inferior team. I don't get it. Most teams want to build solid depth around their starters and get the best players on the field.... we are all over the map. Are we trying to become the Cleveland Browns?

We kept Whimper instead of signing Starks -> Just when I thought the bad personnel moves were over, we make one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. In additional, the Hawthorne situation is dumbfounding.

If you want to start Mike Adams and Gilbert at LT and RT then fine. Roll the dice and see what happens. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't sign Starks and release Whimper as an insurance policy.

We would be covered if Adams or Gilbert get hurt. We would be covered if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle. If Gilbert struggles, it would be best to move Adams to RT and Starks to LT. If Adams struggles, you simply plug Starks in at LT. What is the harm in that? Personally, I think Starks could outplay both of our starters right now but I'm willing to give the young guys a chance.

What I don't understand is the backup situation with Whimper. Who would you rather have as your insurance if Adams or Gilbert struggle or get hurt. Whimper or Starks? It's a no brainer and only a sane person would select Starks. On the other hand, someone in this organization is clearly insane.

Let's see, Starks is....

- Multiple year average starter on SB teams. Considering Ben's playing style, Starks did not play poorly.
    - Still only 31 y/o
    - Has played LT and RT and actually played more consistent at LT.
    - A good leader and role model (unlike Pouncey)
    - Ben's close friend.
    - Ben trusts Starks protecting his blind side as he's been Ben's LT for almost his entire career. On a side note, I've never seen Ben so uncomfortable in the pocket than what he's been this preseason.
    - He was our best o-lineman in 2012

So... with all this being said, The Steelers decided that the logical decision was to sign the league's worst LT in 2012 rather than signing our best overall 2012 o-lineman. Seem's perfectly logical to me,
    Great posts by you and Pappy.

The Steelers handling of Starks over the years has been absolutely baffling.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Fans tend to think more black and white as to who is the starter and who is a backup but in reality, Spaeth could see the field quite a bit in 2 TE sets and other formations. Considering hes a big guy and a good blocker, his presence can only help the run game, particularly in short yardage/goal line situations. I think they made this move to preserve his viability, then brought in the LB soley because of the open roster spot. BTW, why not Baxter?
    I'm guessing it was Garvin over Baxter for special teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Great posts by you and Pappy.

The Steelers handling of Starks over the years has been absolutely baffling.
    agreed on all accounts... I'm glad some of the folks on here who comment actually know the game of football...lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Excellent post. Logic just seems to have gone out the window.

I'm sure that means we get to the Super Bowl this year because when stupid stuff hapenes we seem to do pretty good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Garvin, a 222 lb linebacker on the roster. Wow, another good personnel decision.
    I saw some good things from this lb at camp and wrote about that previosly. He covers well shows good speed and stays on his feet. Some good things for a lb. He also took good angles which I could tell you Sly did not and one of the reasons he was sent packing. I will admit I thought this lb would be on the PS and he may get back there or he could still be cut but he can move and he plays special teams well. Yeah he is thin but he's got some skills to work with at least.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I saw some good things from this lb at camp and wrote about that previosly. He covers well shows good speed and stays on his feet. Some good things for a lb. He also took good angles which I could tell you Sly did not and one of the reasons he was sent packing. I will admit I thought this lb would be on the PS and he may get back there or he could still be cut but he can move and he plays special teams well. Yeah he is thin but he's got some skills to work with at least.
    I realize the importance of special teams but I really think the Steelers overreacted by keeping inferior players because they played better ST in preseason. Hopefully, Garvin can gain some size and become something more than a STer.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Inferior players? For someone who runs a Steelers fan site, you sure seem to show a lack of perspective when it comes to one of the great franchises in NFL history.

As far as Garvin goes, it's not just special teams. He's one of the only LB's who has played both inside and outside backer for this team in the preseason. Think that might be a reason for bringing him back?

Haha I love the fact that idiots like us can sit here and take time away from our everyday lives to pretend to know WAAAAAYYY more than the multiple coaches and front office professionals who earn their living doing this full-time. Beautiful.