Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Redman may not be the starting RB.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Baron Batch could start for all I care. It really doesn't matter to me. Just put the best out there the most, that's all I ask. While Redman may be the starter going into camp, minds get changed during camp. It's not exactly uncommon that somebody wins or loses a job in camp.

That's nothing for or against Redman or any of them. No dog in the hunt for me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Personally I'm tried of reading this. Yes Redman plowed the hell out of any hole he saw and I wished Mendenhall would do the same but Mendenhall sees the cut back lanes etc that Redman doesn't see and because of our spotty line play Redman ran better at time. Mendenhall behind a vastly improved line IMO is a top 8 back in the NFL. Hopefully we get a chance to see what he's capable of behind a solid line.
    It's what you do with what you got, not what could happen if given ____... Redman did more with less, Mendenhall did less with less....

Legend

User Info Menu

We know what we have with Redman, but Dwyer is more of an enigma. Lots of talent, lots of potential, but has shown little drive up until now. If he does win the starting spot it means to me that the extra work that he was supposedly doing this off-season has paid off and we have a brand new back in our lineup. If this is the case then I welcome it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Personally I'm tried of reading this. Yes Redman plowed the hell out of any hole he saw and I wished Mendenhall would do the same but Mendenhall sees the cut back lanes etc that Redman doesn't see and because of our spotty line play Redman ran better at time.
    I disagree.

When Redman carried the ball on 1st and 2nd down, he saw cutback lanes just fine and took advantage, as evidenced in the Browns and Broncos playoff games...

A lot of his carries came in short yardage situations, where the thought is simply "move the chains" and cutback lanes aren't a concern...

Redman does not have Mendenhall's speed, however....

Starter

User Info Menu

I am pulling for Dwyer all the way. His upside is huge and if he puts it together, we have ourselves a bell cow back. With Redman backing him up and Batch/Rainey in the mix, that is a serious backfield.

Naturally, the team needs to field the best squad they can. And nothing against any of the other backs. I just hope it's Dwyer getting the nod.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Redman is going to rack up 430 yards and 6 TDs through the first 4 games and we are going to forget this thread ever existed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer has a lot of raw talent, but he is lazy. He is always over weight and sluggish. If he shows up to camp in shape and motivated, well its a no brainer to start him, until he loses it mentally.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer was considered as high as a second round pick coming out of college until he showed up at the NFL combine fat, slower, and out of shape - dropped like a bag of bricks in the draft. Losing millions of dollars wasn't enough of a wake up call for him and he repeated this as a rookie. In my opinion, if Batch doesn't blow out his kness, Dwyer gets cut. So after losing millions, barely making the team, and not even dressing for games, what's he do next - show up at camp so out of shape he can't finish Tomlin's conditioning drills - as a running back....

You have to hope that there is even a light to turn on for him. I mean, what the hell? I'm hoping he's got it straightened out in his mind and realizes he won't get a better opportunity ever in the NFL - new coach, new playbook, #1 guy out for an extended time, and open competition for being the starter (or major contributor). 4th time's a charm?
    Last edited by Ghost; 07-24-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I don't really care who the starter is. Just start the best guy- at every position.
    Totally agree! Dwyer has a great college highlight tape and does possess the homerun option. So... if he can win the starting role he'll probably pose more of a threat to score. But whoever wins will obviously be the best choice.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've never been big on Dwyer. I love Redman, but wonder if he can avoid the fumbles.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rainey and Batch competing for the #1 spot.

RB are a dime a dozen. Plug em in and rookies can be successful.