Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final 53 Prediction

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No way we carry 4 TE this year. Also its possible Heath could start on PUP list and would allow us to carry someone else at the start of the season. Carry 2 TEs into the season and have Will Johnson fill in at the 3rd if needed.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree J-P-N, I think Rolle beats out Slyvester.

I like Foster and Beachum played well last year for a rook. This will be an interesting battle.

I'm wondering if CB Curtis Brown makes the 53?
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I think he played well on special team. With Taylor, Allen, Hawthorne and Gay locks maybe they carry 5 CB and the last spot will be for him, Van Dyke or Victorian.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post

Curtis Brown will make the team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Victorian will be the first to be sent out.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    I think he played well on special team. With Taylor, Allen, Hawthorne and Gay locks maybe they carry 5 CB and the last spot will be for him, Van Dyke or Victorian.
    Hawthorne's a lock as a rookie 5th round pick? Tell that to rookie 4th round picks Danny Farmer and Fred Gibson, who did not survive their rookie training camp.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hawthorne's a lock as a rookie 5th round pick? Tell that to rookie 4th round picks Danny Farmer and Fred Gibson, who did not survive their rookie training camp.
    I see him a lock because the player, not the draft status. I think Vince Williams is a lock too and he is a 6th round.
    Last edited by SteelSpain; 05-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Victorian will be the first to be sent out.
    Maybe but he played well last year IMO.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Plaxico Burress May Struggle to Earn a Roster Spot with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013

By Kyle Curry on May 18, 2013

Last year the Pittsburgh Steelers chose to only carry four wide receivers on their 53-man roster to start the season. More receivers came in later on due to injuries, but Todd Haley’s offense uses two-tight end sets and pass-catching running backs, which makes four to five receivers plenty. With some younger and less experienced receivers expected to play a role for the Steelers in 2013 it seems likely they will carry five receivers this year to have some extra depth.

Right now the Steelers starting receivers are expected to be Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. The players competing for spots behind those two are rookies Markus Wheaton, the Steelers third round pick, and Justin Brown, one of the Steelers sixth round picks, as well as veterans Jerricho Cotchery, David Gilreath and Plaxico Burress.

Wheaton, as the team’s third round pick, is guaranteed to make the roster as a rookie. He is also expected to make an instant impact on the team with his speed and route-running abilities. If he impresses the coaching staff during OTAs and training camp he could potentially serve as the team’s third receiver and play in the slot. He could also play on the outside in three receiver sets, which would allow Brown and Sanders to see time in the slot, both of whom have experience there and have the size and speed to excel in that role.

Outside of those three players there will be another two roster spots up for grabs. That is unless the Steelers chose to only carry four receivers for the second straight year. They could also carry six receivers, but the only way that seems likely is if undrafted rookie Reggie Dunn wins a roster spot and if he does it will be as a return man more so than as a receiver.

Those two spots will be up for grabs during training camp and the Steelers could go multiple directions with what they chose to do. However, the most anticipated decision is that they will keep Cotchery as their fourth receiver. Cotchery provides the Steelers with a veteran presence and a player that can come through in tight situation on third down and in the red zone.

That would leave only one position for Gilreath, Brown and Burress. With Heath Miller expected to miss the start of the season recovering from a torn ACL the Steelers may want to carry a tall receiver that can help in the red zone. A red zone threat at receiver would be important for the team. Over the past few years the Steelers have struggled when it comes to wide receivers catching touchdown passes in the red zone.

A tall receiver that can high point the ball and make plays could be a huge asset to the team; it is also something that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has wanted since Burress left Pittsburgh back in 2005. Burress, however, may not fill that role for the Steelers. Brown, the Steelers sixth round pick, played receiver at Penn State and Oklahoma during college and is a tall target at 6’3″.

The thing that could make Brown standout as the better option as a fifth receiver is his play on special teams. Brown returned punts during his college career and could play on coverage teams. Burress is not a special teams player and the Steelers rarely carry players low on the depth chart, either player would be the fifth receiver on the depth chart, that don’t also play on special teams.

Gilreath could also have a shot at the roster if he shows improvement this off-season. He gained a lot of fans during the 2012 pre-season and he can return kicks and play on kick coverage. However, Brown seems to have the inside edge as he will have four years of control for the Steelers on his first NFL contract. Those extra years of control and lower cap hit could give him an extra advantage.

Burress’ other chance at making the roster in 2013 is outplaying Cotchery this off-season. The Steelers right now don’t seem likely to carry both veteran receivers, but if Burress outplays Cotchery this off-season he could be the team’s fourth receiver. One thing that could work against Cothcery is his $1 million cap hit, which is the largest of any non-starter on the roster.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/plaxico_burress_may_struggle_to_earn_a_roster_spot _with_the_pittsburgh_steelers_in_2013/13646500[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

WR is gonna be an interesting competition. I think there's 2 spots for Plax, Cotch, and Brown. Brown had a huge jump in production when he left PSU, he can play ST, and I think he fits well in Haley's offense because he can run in the open field. I think he'll earn one of the spots because who knows what will happen with Sanders + he's a big young target with upside.

Then I think it comes down to Plax vs Cotch. Plax can actually compete with Sanders to start. Not sure Cotch really has much value as a #1. So then the question becomes who has value when you go 3 wides? I'd say Plax has more value than Cotch for sure because with his size, you need to commit more defenders to stopping him. Plus he's experienced in the RZ where we have major troubles.

Haley really didn't get the ball to Cotch that much. I'm not convinced Haley sees that much value in him. Plax, Cotch, and Sanders could all be short termers in Pittsburgh any way you slice it. So I'm hoping Wheaton and Brown really step up in the preseason. It'll make our long term future much brighter.