Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Again Being Ripped in Media

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben does deserve to get ripped for his play thus far this season. He can do a lot that other QBs can't and at the same time, he can't do a lot of what other QBs do. At the same time, he is what he is and it really hasn't changed since his 2nd or 3rd season in the league.

I think the biggest problem is Haley embracing what Ben is and isn't.

Backup

User Info Menu

One way to put most of this stuff to rest is to win football games. I agree with Oviedo.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
    -- Jack Lambert --

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Cowherd isn't a Steelers hater. He constantly identifies the Steelers as an organization that does things the right way and one of the elite in the NFL.
    Absolutely true

Backup

User Info Menu

Now, here's a thought I haven't really seen. Is it "possible" that Ian's source is none other than Tdd Haley? I mean, if it seems your azz is on the hot seat, maybe you deflect the heat onto the other guy that is responsible for your part of the team. Maybe you "leak" a rumor that he wants to work somewhere else. And, after he denies that rumor, you leak another rumor that implies that the reason that your plan hasn't been working is not the design of the plan, but rather the lackluster effort and work ethic of the guy who is tasked with implementing it. Especially if you see it as coming down to a "Me" or "Him" discussion at the end of the season and you know that they are going to choose the other guy.

Now before anyone says that would be paranoid thinking/reacting on Tdd's part, I remind you of the "office phone tapping", "cameras in the coaches room", "McDonalds put a rat in my wife's salad" type of guy Tdd is.
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 11-15-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People like Cowherd get their egos off by jumping on bandwagons when teams are up and then turning around and kicking people while they're down. The Media is full of tools like this.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    People like Cowherd get their egos off by jumping on bandwagons when teams are up and then turning around and kicking people while they're down. The Media is full of tools like this.
    I dont think its egos... its moreso the natural cycle of the media. They make sure they make money off you when you are up AND when you are down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Cowherd isn't a Steelers hater. He constantly identifies the Steelers as an organization that does things the right way and one of the elite in the NFL.
    I don't mind Cowherd but I understand what he is - a talking head. I've even heard him say nice things about the organization. But his still cries years later like a little b!tch about the Super Bowl b/c he is a hawks fan. And I've heard him rip Ben needlessly on multiple occasions. So I stick by what I said. Who gives a f@ck what he says about the Steelers QB. He's bitter about a lost game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You have to wonder how much of Ben's past allegations play into the minds of his perception even today. He was only a media darling his rookie year then it went downhill from there. I'm not just talking about Ian Crapreport but the media in general. He seems to be an easy target when things go bad due to his past. I do not know what is true and what is not, but the trade talks and his preparation rumors only pile on to an easy target. This coupled with Haley's argumentative past are the breeding grounds for the media rumor mill imo.

Legend

User Info Menu

By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Folks at Pittsburgh Steelers headquarters remain flabbergasted about the ongoing Ben Roethlisberger drama, created by reports that the veteran quarterback, Steelers president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin have all publicly refuted in some form or fashion.
    Roethlisberger went on WDVE-FM Friday morning -- contacting the show Thursday night after the NFL Network reported that he may want out of Pittsburgh after this season and that the Steelers are unhappy with his game preparation -- and offered yet another vehement denial that his long-term commitment to the franchise is wavering.

Roethlisberger’s future was not a hot topic in the Steelers’ locker room following the team’s final practice of the week. Free safety Ryan Clark shrugged it off and said such matters become an issue when a team is not winning.

“We roll off seven straight [wins], get to the playoff then it won’t matter,” said Clark, who is a team captain along with Roethlisberger and defensive end Brett Keisel. “But when you’re not winning, there seems to be a reason why you would want out. Right now it’s just rumors. As long as [Roethlisberger] is playing hard for us on Sunday, as long as he’s doing what it takes for us to go out here and win games, nobody cares.”

LaMarr Woodley agreed.

“I haven’t followed it, but it’s definitely not a distraction at all,” the Steelers outside linebacker said. “We’ve still got a lot of football left, and all I’m focused on is what’s going on the field this year.”

My take: Someone believable is talking, whether it’s inside the Steelers organization -- or more likely the locker room -- or someone who was recently with the team. The NFL Network would have backed off the story, not added another layer to it Thursday night, if that weren’t the case.

But people I have talked to at team headquarters are genuinely shocked that this is still a story and dismissive about whether it will distract the Steelers -- at least for now.

Unless there is a well-choreographed acting job being pulled off at all levels of the Steelers’ organization, Roethlisberger isn’t going anywhere.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Ben does deserve to get ripped for his play thus far this season. He can do a lot that other QBs can't and at the same time, he can't do a lot of what other QBs do. At the same time, he is what he is and it really hasn't changed since his 2nd or 3rd season in the league.

I think the biggest problem is Haley embracing what Ben is and isn't.
    I've been saying this for years and it's not only Haley, the front office and there insistence to change Ben, so that he doesn't take as many hits are just as much at fault. The best thing they could have done was give Ben the tools and let him be Ben instead of trying to change him. It might be too late now.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount