Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL to Do Away with the Extra Point?

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL to Do Away with the Extra Point?

"The NFL is reportedly considering abolishing the [URL="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=1100571215&q=n&rdgt=1390233934&it= 1390406734&et=1390838734&priceret=18.49&pg=%7E%7E3 &k=9450dbcdcc1618f16f8a138d29ae69e5&source=feed&ur l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB007BHEQC I%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB007BHEQCI2939574%3Fsmid%3DA7 QXR3BHNAZMJ%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1585%2D01%2D20%26linkCo de%3Dasn%26creative%3D395133%26creativeASIN%3DB007 BHEQCI&st=feed&mt=%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7En%7E%7E% 7E"]extra point[/URL] after touchdowns as part of its scoring system. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network on Monday that the league's Competition Committee is looking at proposals that would end extra point kicks after touchdowns in favor of a revised scoring system.
    "The [URL="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=1100571215&q=n&rdgt=1390233934&it= 1390406734&et=1390838734&priceret=18.49&pg=%7E%7E3 &k=9450dbcdcc1618f16f8a138d29ae69e5&source=feed&ur l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB007BHEQC I%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB007BHEQCI2939574%3Fsmid%3DA7 QXR3BHNAZMJ%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1585%2D01%2D20%26linkCo de%3Dasn%26creative%3D395133%26creativeASIN%3DB007 BHEQCI&st=feed&mt=%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7En%7E%7E% 7E"]extra point[/URL] is almost automatic," Goodell told the network. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play."
    "There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell added. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."
    (from Fox News)

Whatchy'all think about this?

Legend

User Info Menu

I really like the idea of going for 2 after every TD. IMO would really increase the excitment and force teams to come up with some real innovative "red zone" plays.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I really like the idea of going for 2 after every TD. IMO would really increase the excitment and force teams to come up with some real innovative "red zone" plays.
    It would force us to get better in the RedZone for sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

The other benefit is it would avoid teams being tied up and winning games with FGs so often. I think it would make all teams be more aggressive on offense in general.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think I like your idea better than what Baddell was talking about; give 6 points for the TD, then you can go for 2. I don't like the proposal of taking a point away if unsuccessful.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Too many changes. So the extra point is almost guaranteed, which makes missing one all the more significant. And I like the dynamic of being able to go for two, if needed. I am starting to hate the NFL's direction. Adding more teams to the play offs? Moronic and greedy. Why not just turn into the NFL and NHL where weak teams, with no hope of advancing, are added to the mix. What 8th seed in hoops will win their first series? NONE.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I were the FO of the NFL, I'd concern myself with this ridiculous replay system and fix that before moving on to something else. Not being allowed to look at a replay on that SF- Seattle game on that lost fumble where Bowman got hurt is just stupid. As far the scoring system, they used 3's and 6's, and 7's for a reason way back when the game was invented. Leave it alone. They are gonna keep it up until they screw this league up to a point where it will allow for some competition- i.e. a new league to be born.

As far as an extra few playoff teams.... not so concerned with that. In fact, it'll allow some teams that get hot towards the end of the year to make the playoffs....
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-21-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I think I like your idea better than what Baddell was talking about; give 6 points for the TD, then you can go for 2. I don't like the proposal of taking a point away if unsuccessful.

Agreed. I like this idea.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Too many changes. So the extra point is almost guaranteed, which makes missing one all the more significant. And I like the dynamic of being able to go for two, if needed. I am starting to hate the NFL's direction. Adding more teams to the play offs? Moronic and greedy. Why not just turn into the NFL and NHL where weak teams, with no hope of advancing, are added to the mix. What 8th seed in hoops will win their first series? NONE.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What about moving the extra point back say to the 10yd line making it a attempt of 27yds. At least from there it would not be so automatic. Just my 2 cents.