Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Black national anthem" to be played week 1

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Brees was being willfully ignorant. There is no way he lives in New Orleans and sits in a locker room with all his teammates and doesn’t know why Kap was kneeling.

If all you are thinking about is yourself you can get into some really hot water when answering questions like that.
    Ahhhhh Willfully ignorant? Because he said he wouldn't kneel? Never said anything about Kap, Said he wouldn't kneel for the Flag, To much respect for it and his Family members who fought...

Mr.Spinmaster ALWAYS has to put words in peoples mouths to fit his narrative...

And,How come you are ALWAYS talking about Brees, But not a word about Desean Jackson ( who said 10x's worse )

I know the answer so just stop already

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The only thing Brees did wrong, Was to apologize at all...

But, Then he was basically forced to... TWICE!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've travelled the world as well, been to a lot of crappy places. Take it from me - Africa mostly sucks. I am not in any way minimizing the struggles the poorest in this country have to overcome - but I also think America is so prosperous and has such an environment that allows the luxury of thinking beyond the basics of shelter, food, health and well being that it gives people with absolutely zero understanding of how tough the rest of the world is the idea they understand true hardship.

It's not the protests that cause me concern, I have marched myself on occasion - it's the idea that we are surrendering the boundaries of civilized behavior. We covet our free speech - but we make it almost impossible to hold people accountable for slander and career assassination on social media. We covet our free press - but make it almost impossible to hold the media accountable for their decisions on what and how to report what they consider 'news'. We are a nation built on rebellion - but when we allow mobs to destroy public and private property, to injure, to tear down, to assault police - and let them do it without consequence, we are creating the seeds of our own destruction. MLK marched proudly, peacefully. He didn't instigate violence, it was thrust upon him. Think of the Woolworth 4 taking a beating just for sitting at a lunch counter. Those are the heroes of the civil rights movement. Yet by allowing Portland, Minneapolis and other places to burn - it feels like those hard fought and won civil rights are facing far more jeopardy than from the police.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I've travelled the world as well, been to a lot of crappy places. Take it from me - Africa mostly sucks. I am not in any way minimizing the struggles the poorest in this country have to overcome - but I also think America is so prosperous and has such an environment that allows the luxury of thinking beyond the basics of shelter, food, health and well being that it gives people with absolutely zero understanding of how tough the rest of the world is the idea they understand true hardship.

It's not the protests that cause me concern, I have marched myself on occasion - it's the idea that we are surrendering the boundaries of civilized behavior. We covet our free speech - but we make it almost impossible to hold people accountable for slander and career assassination on social media. We covet our free press - but make it almost impossible to hold the media accountable for their decisions on what and how to report what they consider 'news'. We are a nation built on rebellion - but when we allow mobs to destroy public and private property, to injure, to tear down, to assault police - and let them do it without consequence, we are creating the seeds of our own destruction. MLK marched proudly, peacefully. He didn't instigate violence, it was thrust upon him. Think of the Woolworth 4 taking a beating just for sitting at a lunch counter. Those are the heroes of the civil rights movement. Yet by allowing Portland, Minneapolis and other places to burn - it feels like those hard fought and won civil rights are facing far more jeopardy than from the police.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

Legend

User Info Menu

We are a nation built on rebellion - but when we allow mobs to destroy public and private property, to injure, to tear down, to assault police - and let them do it without consequence, we are creating the seeds of our own destruction..
    https://apnews.com/bb2404f9b13c8b53b94c73f818f6a0b7

More than 10,000 people have been arrested in protests decrying racism and police brutality in the wake of George Floyd’s death, according to an Associated Press tally of known arrests across the U.S.

The count has grown by the hundreds each day as protesters spilled into the streets and encountered a heavy police presence and curfews that give law enforcement stepped-up arrest powers.
    Are all arrested? No. Heck most are not. No easy when you got the number of people who went crazy.

Look there is no justification of criminal behavior. violent looters tearing up businesses in their own community. They should be arrested.
    But TEN THOUSAND did get arrested. There is plenty of "consequence".

Now please provide the examples of rampant assaults on police....WITH IMPUNITY that you describe.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-16-2020 at 05:02 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Agree on that. Traveling worldwide has helped me to appreciate many different cultures and meet many great people. At the same time, it has made me very grateful to be an American. I recognize there are faults with my country, but I still love it. And I don't think that conflicts with my Christian faith.
    I take issue with blind devotion to a country ANY country. Has nothing to do with America specifically.

True, Jesus taught "love" is the MOST IMPORTANT quality of a Christian but never once are Christians taught to love their country.

To the contrary it say:

Acts 10:34,35
    "34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right."

Problem with love of country is that it can be manipulated by its leadership into unspeakable acts of pure evil.

I would suggest that "love of country" over "love of brother" taught by Jesus, is why the professed "Christianity" practiced by 90 percent of all Germans failed to keep them from killing millions of their brethren in the world wars.

The concept of being "proud" to be an American I find even less compatible with the teachings of the Bible. I simply don't think there is any reason to be "proud" of a country. Just like love of country you are not even talking about a person.

But "proud"? It is almost always put in a bad light in scripture.

Do a simple search of the word, "proud" in the Bible. You will find it occurs nearly 50 times in the King James version.

When you do...tell me how many times is it a "good" thing.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-16-2020 at 05:50 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Ahhhhh Willfully ignorant? Because he said he wouldn't kneel? Never said anything about Kap, Said he wouldn't kneel for the Flag, To much respect for it and his Family members who fought...

Mr.Spinmaster ALWAYS has to put words in peoples mouths to fit his narrative...

And,How come you are ALWAYS talking about Brees, But not a word about Desean Jackson ( who said 10x's worse )

I know the answer so just stop already
    The answer is obvious. Brees answered a question on kneeling poorly. That’s why he is discussed. It’s a topic we can debate.

DeSean isn’t discussed because he was an idiot who tweeted a quote from Hitler that was made up. There is no debate. He was wrong.

and that’s the difference. I have no problem saying DeSean was wrong but people like you can’t accept that Brees was wrong even though he admitted he needed to look internally. This doesn’t mean he is forced to kneel or change his respect for his family. Just means he realized the reason others are kneeling after educating himself on the issue.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 07-16-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m not going to take it from you when it comes to Africa. If it actually sucked people wouldn’t continue to visit and invest in it. It’s weird to say a whole continent sucks. That’s just odd.

As far as MLK and Woolworths go. You are basically saying you prefer protest where Black people are beat, shot, hosed and spot on. You want one group to remain docile while the other gets to remain violent. Those days are over.

I’m not saying I condone burning and looting but this idea that the only way to successfully protest is you get your ass beat. Nope. Not going to happen.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m not going to take it from you when it comes to Africa. If it actually sucked people wouldn’t continue to visit and invest in it. It’s weird to say a whole continent sucks. That’s just odd.

As far as MLK and Woolworths go. You are basically saying you prefer protest where Black people are beat, shot, hosed and spot on. You want one group to remain docile while the other gets to remain violent. Those days are over.

I’m not saying I condone burning and looting but this idea that the only way to successfully protest is you get your ass beat. Nope. Not going to happen.
    Absolutely not what I’m saying. But the efforts from that era resulted in landmark legislation that eliminated Jim Crow laws and remade our country. It may not be the only way to protest, but it was successful in achieving its goals. Time will tell if the current style of protest with its resulting destruction will achieve results. Actually let me rephrase. Achieve results that accomplish the desired goals. I’m certain there will be results of some kind, we will have to see what they ultimately are.

As for Africa, you don’t have to take it from me. There are great vacation deals to Angola, Uganda, and deep in the Congo. If you make it back let us all know what we’re missing!.....
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!