Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Stat About Ben

Starter

User Info Menu

Sorry guys Im not buying it. How does Ben holding the ball too long account for the multiple times per game there is an absolute jail break and Ben gets sacked before he looks downfield????

Does Bens extension of plays contribute to a large amount of sacks? Yes. Is it the reason he is the most sacked QB in the game? No way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Sorry guys Im not buying it. How does Ben holding the ball too long account for the multiple times per game there is an absolute jail break and Ben gets sacked before he looks downfield????
    I agree. But it's both. It's our OL AND it's Ben holding on too long sometimes.

It annoys the hell out of me watching the Cheaters. Numerous times, I see Tom Brady stand in the pocket like a statue, flat-footed ! He doesn't always get rid of the ball quickly. He has definitely enjoyed better pass protection than Ben has. At the same time, I tend to agree that even behind the Cheaters line, Ben would probably still be Ben and hold on longer trying to go deeper.

Ben is going to be Ben until the end. I'm on the enjoy-the-ride-while-we-can bandwagon.

Backup

User Info Menu

Another crazy Roethlisberger statistic: Among the 96 NFL QBs with at least 1,000 pass attempts since 1992, [URL="http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-quarterbacks-air-yards-vs-yards-after-catch-1992-2012/23605/"]he leads all of them in "air" YPA[/URL]. In other words, his average pass has traveled farther through the air before arriving at the hands of a receiver than any other high-profile QB in the last 20 years. (The pertinent chart is near the bottom of the article.)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Does Bens extension of plays contribute to a large amount of sacks? Yes. Is it the reason he is the most sacked QB in the game? No way.
    no one blames Ben for the jail breaks... but some fans act like our OL is the only one that misses assignments. We watched Peyton Manning get dropped on 2 consecutive plays at a critical time in the game when he was with the Colts.

It's happens to good OL's.. and it damn sure happens more to bad or mediocre OL's but it's not like every sack is due to a jail break.

Hell... how many times have you seen a QB stare down a blitzing DB from 5 yards away... not move, absorb the hit and still throw a dart? Ben has done it multiple times because he's bigger than 70% of the players on the field. He knows what his strengths are and shedding tacklers is something he embraced early on.

Players finally figured out you have to hold his throwing arm because anything else could turn you into a poster child for getting tossed like a rag doll by a QB.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 08-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

This is what I was addressing - the jail break quality that so many of the Steelers passing plays have had in the last season+. I agree that it's his style and he makes plays no one else can make. However, when guys on the O line are whiffing on their blocks before Ben has a chance to even complete his drop, that's a huge problem. So many times last year I watched Ben have a tiny amount of time to throw before someone brought him down.

Yes, it's his style of play and I love his ability to keep plays alive. However, it would be nice for him to keep plays alive with minimal effort, sidestepping or moving up in the pocket, rather than plays where he runs up to the line of scrimmage, then retreats, then runs to his left, then circles back. You get the idea. I don't mind him hanging onto the ball, but it would be great if he could do it while remaining fairly still. Given the terrible O line play, he's running for his life a lot of the times and in my opinion, it's too much.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    This is what I was addressing - the jail break quality that so many of the Steelers passing plays have had in the last season+. I agree that it's his style and he makes plays no one else can make. However, when guys on the O line are whiffing on their blocks before Ben has a chance to even complete his drop, that's a huge problem. So many times last year I watched Ben have a tiny amount of time to throw before someone brought him down.

Yes, it's his style of play and I love his ability to keep plays alive. However, it would be nice for him to keep plays alive with minimal effort, sidestepping or moving up in the pocket, rather than plays where he runs up to the line of scrimmage, then retreats, then runs to his left, then circles back. You get the idea. I don't mind him hanging onto the ball, but it would be great if he could do it while remaining fairly still. Given the terrible O line play, he's running for his life a lot of the times and in my opinion, it's too much.
    Ben doesn't like standing still... and moving around keeps the D off balance. He wouldn't have half the TD's he has to this day if he was stiff in the pocket.

When he breaks the pocket... DB's peak in the backfield, LB's bite.. and then Ben strikes.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 08-29-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Another crazy Roethlisberger statistic: Among the 96 NFL QBs with at least 1,000 pass attempts since 1992, [URL="http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-quarterbacks-air-yards-vs-yards-after-catch-1992-2012/23605/"]he leads all of them in "air" YPA[/URL]. In other words, his average pass has traveled farther through the air before arriving at the hands of a receiver than any other high-profile QB in the last 20 years. (The pertinent chart is near the bottom of the article.)
    Interesting stats. But I have no idea how to make any sense out of that info

Legend

User Info Menu

breaking that down. its 10 more sacks per season..that sounds about right

im curious what the numbers are since rodgers has been the starter in GB. i know they've had some high sack totals as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    There isn't anything going to change the number of hits Ben takes, no offensive coordinator, no amount #1 draft picks on the O-line and no amount of the Rooneys saying Ben needs to be kept upright will change the number of hits Ben takes. It's his style, he knows it, the coaches know it, the O-linemen know it and no amount of complaining about it is going to change it.

I've been saying this for years, as a fan, you should sit back and enjoy it, because there isn't going to be another quarterback like him in a long time, not RGIII, not Kaepernick, not Wilson, not Newton, none of them, Ben is a once in a lifetime quarterback.

Pappy
    I agree. When it's all said and done, fans will sit back and truly appreciate having watched the greatest Steeler QB to ever play the game.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    no one blames Ben for the jail breaks... but some fans act like our OL is the only one that misses assignments. We watched Peyton Manning get dropped on 2 consecutive plays at a critical time in the game when he was with the Colts.

It's happens to good OL's.. and it damn sure happens more to bad or mediocre OL's but it's not like every sack is due to a jail break.

Hell... how many times have you seen a QB stare down a blitzing DB from 5 yards away... not move, absorb the hit and still throw a dart? Ben has done it multiple times because he's bigger than 70% of the players on the field. He knows what his strengths are and shedding tacklers is something he embraced early on.

Players finally figured out you have to hold his throwing arm because anything else could turn you into a poster child for getting tossed like a rag doll by a QB.
    The line is horrible. Its horrible year after year. Ask yourself. When was the last time our offensive line was considered a strength on our team??? It is not Ben. Using the excuse that sometimes other lines give up sacks too, is the equivalent of a 9 year old getting in trouble in school everyday and saying " But Billy gets in trouble sometimes too!!!".

Bottom line is we do a horrible job at evaluating lineman. It dosent mean squat that you use high draft picks on lineman when the guys you pick cant play. I was done with Marcus Gilbert 3 years ago. Yet here we are still waiting for him to develop. How long did we stick with Colon, Gilbert, Starks, Kemo, Essex, etc. These were not Pro Bowl caliber lineman. Hell I loved Starks because he was the best of what we had. He might not even win a job on a bad San Diego line. The guys we trot out there year after year cant even make any other NFL roster. That is the reason Ben gets sacked so often. Its lack of talent at the OL positions.
    Last edited by 7 UP; 08-29-2013 at 05:15 PM.