Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing about Pouncey. The last few years I have been very underwhelmed with him, so I really hope we don't resign him. It really stinks with him being another 1st round pick that doesn't pan out...Holmes, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Hood?, Heyward (too early to tell?). We were on a great run with Troy, Ben and Heath...but now we are obviously reaping the fruits of our bad first round picks.
    Not sure I would describe Pouncey as "not panning out", just replaceable.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe we could reunite the Pouncey twins by trading Maurkice to Miami for Mike Wallace.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

smh at replacing pouncey...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Not sure I would describe Pouncey as "not panning out", just replaceable.
    Pan out as in a first round draft pick that stays with the team longer than his rookie contract and becomes a foundational player such as Troy, Ben, Heath and Timmons have become. So, by my definition, which is of course liberally applied, he would not pan out IF we don't resign him. Obviously, we need our first round picks to be foundational players that become very good to great players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    smh at replacing pouncey...

I couldn't agree more and yet we'll complain about the o-line.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

I couldn't agree more and yet we'll complain about the o-line.

Pappy
    Talk to me again when you have to sign a franchise LT, C, and RG to monster contracts.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Talk to me again when you have to sign a franchise LT, C, and RG to monster contracts.
    Who is the RG and LT that will have monster contracts? DD hasn't lived up to the hype the board had for him.. and Adams and Gilbert damn sure haven't shown they will demand big money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Who is the RG and LT that will have monster contracts? DD hasn't lived up to the hype the board had for him.. and Adams and Gilbert damn sure haven't shown they will demand big money.
    Did you read the original post? This was assuming the new center pans out, and the Steelers go after a franchise LT such as Jake Matthews. As for DD, how do you know he hasn't "lived up to the hype"? He is essentially a rookie coming off of major knee surgery. Not to mention him having to play beside turnstyle Gilbert and a new center. I suppose JJ hasn't lived up to the hype either since he is yet to have a sack.

Guys who have played the position in the NFL, who follow the Steelers, who know OL talent use terms like "special", "gifted", "future pro bowler" when referring to DD. If DD, is even half the player these scouts say he is...he will be expensive to re-sign.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers have an elite LT in Adams or Gilbert, then I'm fine with letting Pouncey walk. However, right now, if healthy, he is the Steelers best offensive lineman and it really isn't even close. So, until that changes, he should be signed without hesitation, at some point you have to start building a cohesive unit. They all aren't going to be pro-bowl linemen and, since, at this point Adams and Gilbert aren't above average tackles, I'll keep the known commodity.

There is going to be more salary shed this off season and Decastro still has some years on his rookie contract. Everyone is acting as if Velasco has improved the line, he hasn't, they are still struggling in pass protection and they're running the ball no better than if Pouncey were playing.

The Steelers can't continue to just shuffle linemen and hope for something positive to happen, of all the positions on a football team the offensive line requires some level of stability.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't discuss topics, if posters are unwilling to read the original posts. I know Adams and Gilbert are slugs. Neither will demand large contracts. Both will be very fortunate to play out their contracts as NFL starters.
    Trolls are people too.