Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to think about in regards to this years draft...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Something to think about in regards to this years draft...

The Steelers very well could have a boat load of draft picks next year (2014). With possible losses in free agency of Starks, Wallace, Foster, Lewis, Foote, and Mendenhall, this could net a very descent return in compensatory picks. Lewis, Wallace, and Starks could even bring back a relatively high one. With the possibility of having 9-12 picks next year, the Steelers could very easily trade away a second or third rounder next year if they wanted to move up and draft a player like Eric Fisher or even Chance Warmack.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 01-25-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    The Steelers very well could have a boat load of draft picks next year (2014). With possible losses in free agency of Starks, Wallace, Foster, Lewis, Foote, and Mendenhall, this could net a very descent return in compensatory picks. Lewis, Wallace, and Starks could even bring back a relatively high one. With the possibility of having 9-12 picks next year, the Steelers could very easily trade away a second or third rounder next year if they wanted to move up and draft a player like Eric Fisher or even Chance Warmack.
    Hopefully they see a guy they have ranked so highly they can't help but go and get.

Otherwise I prefer them to do the opposite. Trade back and get a crap load of extra picks this year. There is no clear cut top of the draft, but it is very deep. I would love to see them move back once or twice and get a bunch of extra picks.

Then use those picks this year and in next years draft to get young in a hurry again.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Hopefully they see a guy they have ranked so highly they can't help but go and get.

Otherwise I prefer them to do the opposite. Trade back and get a crap load of extra picks this year. There is no clear cut top of the draft, but it is very deep. I would love to see them move back once or twice and get a bunch of extra picks.

Then use those picks this year and in next years draft to get young in a hurry again.
    then cut half of them and keep the aging vets and let the ones that stuck sit on the bench for a few years until they learn the defense.......oh, and then ben will be close to done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

Agree. If we aren't targeting a top offensive lineman at #17 then trade back and get more picks because we have LOTS of needs.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-26-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Agree. If we aren't targeting a top offensive lineman at #17 then trade back and get more picks because we have LOTS of needs.
    I do not agree with this. I do not think the Steelers have lots of needs. Had their QB not gotten hurt this team is in the playoffs and making a legitimate run. This team does need a few pieces here and there but they do not have lots of needs.

The Indianapolis Colts were 2-14 and everybody and their mother thought they had lots of needs. They get a legitimate QB and they completely turn it all around.

Why do fans over-react like this? The Steelers need to tweak a few things. Not a major over-haul needed. One more impact player on both sides of the ball and a healthy Ben and we are driving for #7.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here. I'll lay it out. Assuming Ben stays healthy next season and they do some re-structuring of contracts (Ben, Ike, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, etc.), which we know they will (they always do). This would enable them to re-sign Lewis and keep Harrison and Ike. The adding of two players from this draft could change the entire outlook of this team.

Two guys who you can plug and play from day one. Two guys on each side of the ball that improves this team.

Eric Fisher and Kevin Minter.

Knowing there are going to be several extra picks next year, you can trade up to get both of these players this year and it really doesn't hurt your accumulation of depth. Trading the #64 overall pick in 2014 would allow you to move up this year to at least spot 12. Trading away this years 3rd round pick would allow you to move up back into round one to at least pick number 30. So they lose a 3rd rounder this year and 2nd rounder next year but they are probably getting at least 4-5 extra picks next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I do not agree with this. I do not think the Steelers have lots of needs. Had their QB not gotten hurt this team is in the playoffs and making a legitimate run. This team does need a few pieces here and there but they do not have lots of needs.

The Indianapolis Colts were 2-14 and everybody and their mother thought they had lots of needs. They get a legitimate QB and they completely turn it all around.

Why do fans over-react like this? The Steelers need to tweak a few things. Not a major over-haul needed. One more impact player on both sides of the ball and a healthy Ben and we are driving for #7.
    Well we can disagree. The two player who are defense has been designed around are unreliable health risks--Troy and Harrison. Our OL is young and also unreliable health wise. We have three years of declining performance in sacking the QB and intercepting the ball, probably the most important defensive stats since they are game changing plays.

If the front office believes as you do we are just a tweak here and there from a Super Bowl we had better get use to third place in the AFC North.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well we can disagree. The two player who are defense has been designed around are unreliable health risks--Troy and Harrison. Our OL is young and also unreliable health wise. We have three years of declining performance in sacking the QB and intercepting the ball, probably the most important defensive stats since they are game changing plays.

If the front office believes as you do we are just a tweak here and there from a Super Bowl we had better get use to third place in the AFC North.
    Where were the Steelers before Ben got hurt? And without Troy and a healthy productive James Harrison? 6-3 and having just beat the defending super bowl champions in their own house?

I'm telling you an over-reaction is going cause a huge fall off. This team is a a lot closer than many people believe.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so we have LOTS of needs, but should only target an OL in a trade up scenario? Makes zero sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    so we have LOTS of needs, but should only target an OL in a trade up scenario? Makes zero sense.
    Who said trade up for anything. I said stay at #17 if you have a chance to get a top offensive lineman other than that trade down. Not reading what is written in haste to take exception makes zero sense!
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-26-2013 at 02:41 PM.