Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    He is on the Steelers. What does Suisham have to do with this discussion? Ben likes Tomlin, those are the facts
    Huh? Nevermind.

As a rewind, this topic isn't about Ben and Tomlin's relationship. This is about Tomlin's decision to kick the field goal on 4th down instead of 3rd down. Tomlin and Suisham are pretty relevant to this conversation....not Ben.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

When I see the Rooneys complain about our coach then I will pay attention. It was the right thing to do and it worked out. Are you mad that it worked? Whats the problem? I cant remember the last time that kicking it on 3rd worked out or backfired. Kicking on 3rd leaves them time on the clock. Kicking on 4th doesnt. Hmmmm. Not hard to figure out what is the right decison.

Legend

User Info Menu

Back to the topic.....

Tomlin said in his presser that he wanted to talk with the players on the kicking team to make sure they felt that they could do that kick. Good call by him - calm them down, get them focused and confident.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kicking on 3rd down is about as brilliant as "icing the kicker w/ a Timeout"

I've been watching football for 30 yrs and can count on 1 hand the amount of games lost on a "bad snap"
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Kicking the football out of bounds has to be the more stupidist dumber thing I have ever heard...

and Vick can throw a football 60 yards with the flick of a wrist. The longest throw by Vick without pads is 74 yards

We won, bashing Tomlin after a win is more dumber.

Legend

User Info Menu

It wasn't just about trying to get 2 or 3 more yards. I thought they were trying to position the ball in the middle of the field where Suisham felt most comfortable. I, for one, loved not leaving a single second on the clock. Kick to win and head off!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Kicking on 3rd down is about as brilliant as "icing the kicker w/ a Timeout"

I've been watching football for 30 yrs and can count on 1 hand the amount of games lost on a "bad snap"
    Exactly, great post

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It wasn't just about trying to get 2 or 3 more yards. I thought they were trying to position the ball in the middle of the field where Suisham felt most comfortable. I, for one, loved not leaving a single second on the clock. Kick to win and head off!
    I agree. Why bother to leave the Eagles any time left on the clock? You want the kick to be the game ... win or lose.

Kicking on 3rd down was a Cowher thing. He is probably the only coach that I can think of that did that consistantly.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Because Tomlin is buddy buddy with his players. Thats why guys want to play for him. Is it not that obvious?

Sometimes the best coaches and the best managers are not the "cool" dudes. You don't have to be cool to be a good coach and being "cool" or "liked" by your players does not make you a good coach either.

I think Tomlin walks that fine line of almost being to buddy buddy with his players. You need to have that clear separation no matter what.
    I don't think that Tomlin is too buddy buddy with his players. When that happens, players like you but don't respect you. In Tomlin's case, the players seem to both like him as well as respect him.

I liked the little "Sounds of the Game" segment (or whatever they call it) during halftime of MNF last night that showed Tomlin greeting players when they came into the locker room after the game, and when Keisel walked in with his kid, Tomlin commented that the kid was lucky to inherit looks from his mother. Little jabs like that make it seem more like a family than just a job.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea. Ask the Giants about kicking to the Eagles the last play of the game.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]