Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnell Lake Needs To Be Our Next DC

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The best way to get turnovers is to pressure the QB and force bad decisions. We haven't been able to do that for a while now.
    Three year trend of decreasing sacks to the point we are at or near low points for the past two decades, but we keep doing the same thing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

The best way to get turnovers is to pressure the QB and force bad decisions. We haven't been able to do that for a while now.
    Which is exactly what our offense allowed to happen with injuries and no consistent running threat...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Three year trend of decreasing sacks to the point we are at or near low points for the past two decades, but we keep doing the same thing.
    Not sure about the 3 year trend in which you refer? The defense was number one in the league in sacks in 2010. I suspect that the sack numbers decreased in 2011 and 2012 because Harrision and Woodley missed significant time due to injuries.

I don't believe overall sack numbers are that important in the grand scheme of a defense. The pressure a defense can apply is more important. PPG given up is also more important then overall sack numbers.

Here are the Steelers DEF PPG Rankings since 2004
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 3
    2006- 11
    2007 - 2
    2008 - 1
    2009 - 12
    2010 - 1
    2011 - 1
    2012 - 6

People that continue complain about the way the Steelers and Dick Leabeau do things defensively appear to be off their rockers. Those consistent rankings in PPG giving up is not going to get much better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Not sure about the 3 year trend in which you refer? The defense was number one in the league in sacks in 2010. I suspect that the sack numbers decreased in 2011 and 2012 because Harrision and Woodley missed significant time due to injuries.

I don't believe overall sack numbers are that important in the grand scheme of a defense. The pressure a defense can apply is more important. PPG given up is also more important then overall sack numbers.

Here are the Steelers DEF PPG Rankings since 2004
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 3
    2006- 11
    2007 - 2
    2008 - 1
    2009 - 12
    2010 - 1
    2011 - 1
    2012 - 6

People that continue complain about the way the Steelers and Dick Leabeau do things defensively appear to be off their rockers. Those consistent rankings in PPG giving up is not going to get much better.
    It's not the sacks. It's the pressure that's missing consistently. We don't get pressure unless we blitz and sometimes we don't even get pressure when we blitz. The talent in the front 7 hasn't been there. Hampton hasn't collapsed the pocket and that's the biggest problem.

Pressure creates errors and leads to turnovers which leads to more offensive opportunities.

It's great and all that we can keep our opponents from scoring. But it sure would be nice if we took some chances , allowed a few more points, but then as a result got the ball a little more often for our offense and gave them the opportunity to score more points.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not the sacks. It's the pressure that's missing consistently. We don't get pressure unless we blitz and sometimes we don't even get pressure when we blitz. The talent in the front 7 hasn't been there. Hampton hasn't collapsed the pocket and that's the biggest problem.

Pressure creates errors and leads to turnovers which leads to more offensive opportunities.

It's great and all that we can keep our opponents from scoring. But it sure would be nice if we took some chances , allowed a few more points, but then as a result got the ball a little more often for our offense and gave them the opportunity to score more points.
    I don't know if any defense applies pressure to the level of fan's expectations. When a defenses top player makers miss significant time due to injury then opportunities for turnovers diminish. People don't expect the offense to perform at the same level without Ben so why do people expect anymore from the defense? Players generally win games in the NFL.

The offense probably wouldn't produce points off the turnovers because they don't have a QB that is known for scoring. I believe the offense squandered several opportunitunites off of turnovers last season.

Any time the defense allowed "a few more points" the team didn't make the playoffs. See 2006, 2009, 2012. The offense may never take the next step necessary to carry the team with Ben as the QB. Unless the offense takes the next step it appears the team needs a defense that gives up as few points as possible.

Legend

User Info Menu

What offensive linemen are allowed to do in blocking the DL is probably an equal contributor to decreased sacks across the league. It seems the only real way a defender can get a sack is from a speed rush or missed assignment. Otherwise, once the OL gets his hands on the guy he can pretty much do anything he wants and not get called. I can't total the number of times I saw an O lineman with his arm around a DL's neck and not get called.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't know if any defense applies pressure to the level of fan's expectations. When a defenses top player makers miss significant time due to injury then opportunities for turnovers diminish. People don't expect the offense to perform at the same level without Ben so why do people expect anymore from the defense? Players generally win games in the NFL.

Any time the defense allowed "a few more points" the team didn't make the playoffs. See 2006, 2009, 2012. The offense may never take the next step necessary to carry the team with Ben as the QB. Unless the offense takes the next step it appears the team needs a defense that gives up as few points as possible.
    Bens not the problem. Yes he gets injured but its dealt with. He tried to do too much due to lack of RBs. I blame the fact that brown and sanders are not Hines ward and Heath miller and Issac Redman is not Willie Parker. Hopefully Bell can be that.
    Last edited by Adam Powell; 04-28-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Powell View Post
    Bens not the problem. Yes he gets injured but its dealt with. He tried to do too much due to lack of RBs. I blame the fact that brown and sanders are not Hines ward and Heath miller and Issac Redman is not Willie Parker. Hopefully Bell can be that.
    You're right ... Ben's not the problem. I still say our offensive woes trace right back to the offensive line. If they play well we have a running game and Ben is the best in the league with play action passes. Our receiving corp is better now than it was in 2005 when we won the SB.

Redman and Dwyer both had impressive games when the o-line started putting it together last year. Then all the injuries hit the line and everything fell apart. If we sign Max for some depth and avoid a ton of injuries the offense will be fine ... even verging on very good.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LOL - I was kidding around, but seriously is there anything Lake can't do well?
    Can he play center?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Carnell Lake's coaching is what makes me feel good about Terry Hawthorne. This was a Lake pick. He has the physical aspects similar to Keenan Lewis, but needs to work on his technique.

What better coach than Lake to do this?
    Here comes the BOOM!