Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive line rankings for 2021

Backup

User Info Menu

Rankings before training camps open and starters have even been selected. Yeah...that's meaningless and and a useless exercise

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post
    Rankings before training camps open and starters have even been selected. Yeah...that's meaningless and and a useless exercise
    its like college preseason rankings. Its based off last year and speculation.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    its like college preseason rankings. Its based off last year and speculation.
    Well, our OL was bad last year.

And I think we only have one player that's played more than a few games at his projected position going into this season.

I didn't click the link, but I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that we'll be in the bottom half of the league for OL. And if we got to an average line, that would probably be an improvement (particularly when rushing)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Well, our OL was bad last year.

And I think we only have one player that's played more than a few games at his projected position going into this season.

I didn't click the link, but I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that we'll be in the bottom half of the league for OL. And if we got to an average line, that would probably be an improvement (particularly when rushing)
    yes.. last year. We have no idea how they will play this year.

Too many moving parts to know how well or horrible they will play this year.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post
    exactly, stupid thread.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    exactly, stupid thread.
    I think losing Pouncey is addition by subtraction. He was awful last year.

Overall, these list are great for ranking LAST YEAR. Preseason rankings are simply for entertainment.

Legend

User Info Menu

yes.. last year. We have no idea how they will play this year.

Too many moving parts to know how well or horrible they will play this year.
    I wonder if we looked back, how many times having lots of moving parts with little experience had worked for OLs.

My guess is that it's not great.

Part of me is glad that we have easier games at the beginning of the season because it will hopefully give the OL some time to gel. I think the D will have to carry the team early.

But part of me wishes we had the hard games we're unlikely to win first so that we could be more battle tested when we're playing more winnable games.

It will be an interesting year (I hope).

Starter

User Info Menu

It’ll be an interesting year for the o-line for sure. I really think the line will be better this year than last, at least by the second half of the year. The line was bad last year.

My reasons for optimism: Decastro played hurt all year, Okafor played out of position, as his skills are more LT than RT, Banner will be manning RT, and the C that wins the battle (my money is on Green) won’t have to be too good to be better than Pouncey last year. I like Dotson, and i think he’ll be a good one; that said, he’s a natural RG like Decastro and he’ll be playing out of his best spot this year.

I’m also optimistic about Moore. If he can become the swing OT this year, that’s a win. Even if he doesn’t eventually become a starter I think he’s the type of player that can be primary backup to every position except C, so that’s a valuable player to have.

Biggest reason for improvement though? Klein, the coach. If nothing else these guys will develop a bury the competition mentality, and we need that.

I’m so ready for Steeler football!

Legend

User Info Menu

Too many moving parts .....
    This right there should be a warning sign that the OL will struggle early, and may not ever gel this season. We are so used to veterans coming in and playing 'good enough' that it will be a shock to see how bad a young line can be. Roethlisberger can make it work initially but they're gonna have to grow together fast especially considering the opponents this season.