Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rays of Hope

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm in no mood for silver linings... and I'm the silver lining dude! Honestly, that team last night, would go 6-10 this year. The only... ONLY silver lining is that most of the o-line is young... we can hope they start 2-2 before getting a rhythm...

Landry did look better than homey #2... is Charlie still available?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    watch the San Diego vs Chicago highlights to see how well Max is protecting Rivers. He damn near got him killed last game. Total whiff and the DE blindsided Rivers and caused a fumble. Word out there is Max will probably get replaced due to his play thus far.
    Well look at the bright side: at least when San Diego decides that Max Starks isn't even good enough to play on their lousy offensive line, we can have him back. Then we can get back to pretending that he's better than he really is, or that he's somehow athletic enough to properly execute a zone blocking scheme on a consistent basis, for that matter.

Just because Jonathan Scott made Max Starks look good doesn't mean that Starks is actually good. Kordell Stewart made Tommy Maddox look good; did that mean Maddox was actually good?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Well look at the bright side: at least when San Diego decides that Max Starks isn't even good enough to play on their lousy offensive line, we can have him back. Then we can get back to pretending that he's better than he really is, or that he's somehow athletic enough to properly execute a zone blocking scheme on a consistent basis, for that matter.

Just because Jonathan Scott made Max Starks look good doesn't mean that Starks is actually good. Kordell Stewart made Tommy Maddox look good; did that mean Maddox was actually good?
    Max gave up 3 sacks and had 3 penalties last year. That's pretty fantastic considering he was blocking the other team's best pass rusher for a QB that holds the ball seemingly forever and the linemen often don't even know where Ben's scrambled to avoid pressure. The thing I always liked about Max is he always kept going til he was sure the play was over. He wasn't the most athletic tackle, but he was always hustling to maintain a block or to try and go back and help Ben out when he was scrambling in the pocket.

Really over the last 3 years, I only remember Aldon Smith getting the better of Max. And at that point Aldon was a relative unknown who was only playing on 3rd downs so it was likely a combination of things including Aldon was always fresh, he's that good, and Max probably didn't prepare for him.

I think Max got crapped on by the fans/media unfairly because Tomlin had some personal issue with him that we will never know or understand. Looking back and thinking about how Colon beat him out at RT is almost comical now that we know how bad of a T Colon was. It's eerily similar how Gilby was handed Max's job without a competition when Max could have been had for a song.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Max gave up 3 sacks and had 3 penalties last year. That's pretty fantastic considering he was blocking the other team's best pass rusher for a QB that holds the ball seemingly forever and the linemen often don't even know where Ben's scrambled to avoid pressure. The thing I always liked about Max is he always kept going til he was sure the play was over. He wasn't the most athletic tackle, but he was always hustling to maintain a block or to try and go back and help Ben out when he was scrambling in the pocket.

Really over the last 3 years, I only remember Aldon Smith getting the better of Max. And at that point Aldon was a relative unknown who was only playing on 3rd downs so it was likely a combination of things including Aldon was always fresh, he's that good, and Max probably didn't prepare for him.

I think Max got crapped on by the fans/media unfairly because Tomlin had some personal issue with him that we will never know or understand. Looking back and thinking about how Colon beat him out at RT is almost comical now that we know how bad of a T Colon was. It's eerily similar how Gilby was handed Max's job without a competition when Max could have been had for a song.

First off, you're just SPECULATING on any issues with Tomlin. Second, just because Max was gave up 3 sacks and 3 penalties doesn't mean he wasn't getting beat every other play. Remember, as bad as Starks was, Gilbert was worse, and his guy was probably getting to Ben before Max's guy. But that does NOT mean Starks was good. If he is so good, then why was he not persued by any teams in free agency early on ? Why did San Diego ONLY give him a 1 year deal ?....and why did Max and his agent take only a 1 year deal if they thought he was basically another "Jonathon Ogden " ?

And, if he is all that, why is the SAME absolute Cruudy LT, King Dunlap kicking the Crud out of Starks in the Chargers training camp ?

Huh ?.....I THOUGHT SO!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

If Gilbert continues to struggle, Chadman wonders if Jordan Black or Frank Omiyale might be contacted to compete for the RT position...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post

And, if he is all that, why is the SAME absolute Cruudy LT, King Dunlap kicking the Crud out of Starks in the Chargers training camp ?
    a good friend of mine is a devout Chargers fan and he told me yesterday that Max Starks has looked horrible so far for them...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If Gilbert continues to struggle, Chadman wonders if Jordan Black or Frank Omiyale might be contacted to compete for the RT position...

At this point, I am at the point where I would welcome back Trai Essex and Chris Kemoeatu ( YIKES! )

Backup

User Info Menu

At this point, I am at the point where I would welcome back Trai Essex and Chris Kemoeatu ( YIKES! )
    That's why you're not employed by the NFL.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

First off, you're just SPECULATING on any issues with Tomlin. Second, just because Max was gave up 3 sacks and 3 penalties doesn't mean he wasn't getting beat every other play. Remember, as bad as Starks was, Gilbert was worse, and his guy was probably getting to Ben before Max's guy. But that does NOT mean Starks was good. If he is so good, then why was he not persued by any teams in free agency early on ? Why did San Diego ONLY give him a 1 year deal ?....and why did Max and his agent take only a 1 year deal if they thought he was basically another "Jonathon Ogden " ?

Huh ?.....I THOUGHT SO!!!

Crying out for a med adjustment.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Well said....
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.