Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The idea that the Steelers prefer a FS who can tackle is for one reason and one reason only. It is because of how they play Troy (at or near the box/LOS). In a traditional set they would much rather prefer a center fielder/cover type at FS and a thumper at SS. And I could see this in Reynolds and Shamarko Thomas.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    The idea that the Steelers prefer a FS who can tackle is for one reason and one reason only. It is because of how they play Troy (at or near the box/LOS). In a traditional set they would much rather prefer a center fielder/cover type at FS and a thumper at SS. And I could see this in Reynolds and Shamarko Thomas.
    IMO we would be better off if we had our safeties playing back versus running all over the place out of position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If we are going Safety in the 2nd...I would go with Calvin Pryor.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I will be interested to see how Reynolds runs at the combine. To me, he doesn't look fast and his COD is poor. He is smart and has good instincts.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I will be interested to see how Reynolds runs at the combine. To me, he doesn't look fast and his COD is poor. He is smart and has good instincts.
    I could care less about his front line speed. Ed Reed ran a 4.57. It is as you said, about his football instincts. Last year Reynolds was fast enough to break on 6 INT's, 3 of which he ran back for TD's. Those came from center field, not off the corner or out in the flat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I could care less about his front line speed. Ed Reed ran a 4.57. It is as you said, about his football instincts. Last year Reynolds was fast enough to break on 6 INT's, 3 of which he ran back for TD's. Those came from center field, not off the corner or out in the flat.
    you're not going to be able to draft Ed Reynolds in the 5th round like you have in your sig mock...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

4.5 is good safety speed. That's a Cover 0 & 1 FS. Flags start going up when they climb into the 4.6 range unless you have 1.5 splits & good cones. You have a guy that is big framed & likes to hit...You have your Cover 2 SS. You have a FS built like a CB running a 4.6...You have concerns he could be that Cover 1 FS & play CF because you will want to avoid putting him in Cover 0. So when you walk down your SS to defend the run & that 4.6 FS is left playing Cover 1 CF...He may not have the range to help out both sidelines. Hey...I just described Ryan Clark!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you're not going to be able to draft Ed Reynolds in the 5th round like you have in your sig mock...
    Yeah probably right but he did have a down year from 2012 and FS is not a premium position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They need a real center fielder, it would allow them to play more cover 1 press man. Not saying he's earl Thomas but they could potentially play Reynolds in that role. He's not a bad tackler, he's just not the best tackler and tends to drag guys down from time to time

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    4.5 is good safety speed. That's a Cover 0 & 1 FS. Flags start going up when they climb into the 4.6 range unless you have 1.5 splits & good cones. You have a guy that is big framed & likes to hit...You have your Cover 2 SS. You have a FS built like a CB running a 4.6...You have concerns he could be that Cover 1 FS & play CF because you will want to avoid putting him in Cover 0. So when you walk down your SS to defend the run & that 4.6 FS is left playing Cover 1 CF...He may not have the range to help out both sidelines. Hey...I just described Ryan Clark!
    Speaking of Clark, I saw he's on ESPN already. I wonder if he has let the FO his intentions for next year, so they can get a plan in place if he decides to retire.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska